Who uses a .375 H&H for hunting?

H&H

My hunting buddy swears by his H&H and uses it with great sauces on black bear in Maine. He does admit that he originally bought the H&H for African plains game and leopard which worked flawlessly.

If you don't reload, check out the price of ammo, sometimes we get caught up on a particular calibre for its historical attraction and appeal rather than its realistic usage. Then again, there are some who gravitate to "odd" calibers...yes I'm one of those.

I am on my 2nd barrel in my 375H&H
Yeah..........I have shot it a lot.
:)

I have owned and used many many rifles in my life, but if I had only my 270 Winchester and my 375H&H, I would not be wanting to hunt ANY big game animal no matter where it was located.

Throw in a 222 or a 223 and I can even specialize some.

The 375 is still the best world-wide all around hunting cartridge ever made--- in my opinion.

I'd have to ask first how much is the ammo and how hard it is to find. And could you hit a deer in the head at 200 yards if you tried and how much does it kick? Naw I think I'd stick with my 223, 22-250 and 30-06.

I am in Wyosmith's camp. If I were forced to have just one rifle, it would be the .375 Magnum. There are places where the 30-06 is not permitted because it is too small.

My dad used his very effectively on rabbits and other varmints.

If I were permitted a second rifle, it would be a long debate between the .223 Remington and the .243 Winchester. Even though I am enamored of the .243 Winchester, the .223 would probably win because of ammunition cost and the fact that the .375 does very well for anything that one would hesitate even for a millisecond with the .223 Rem.

Last edited:
I used one quite a bit for hunting a few years ago. Ended up using it a lot more on duty to DLP brown bears in town. It's now used strictly as a DLP gun and stands by on alert close at hand during bear months.

Back