Who still shoots airguns?

Like I posted earlier, I recently bought a RWS Sig P225 lookalike pellet gun. I use it indoors with my Outer's .22 bullet trap (which will never wear out). Anybody else?

Gary,a couple of us run a junior air gun club for the 4H. Great way to introduce young people to shooting(my reason for continuing). All shoting is indoor and does not take up alot of space.Besides its cold out now.

I have a Gamo R-77 4" Combat pellet gun which I also shoot indoors with an Outer's .22 bullet trap.

It's a nice way to practice indoors. However I will switch over to a BeamHit 110 system once my S&W 686 Plus comes back from the gunsmith. It will allow for realistic "laser" dry-firing.

Axel

There's a lot of air gun activity out there. Starting with 10 meter pistols, including metallic siloutte shooting, and field competition.
Airguns today are far superior to the BB and pellet guns of the '60's and '70's.
They are excellent "urban hunting and pest control" tools, and indoor target practice is a viable alternative to going to the range. There's a good airgun discussion group and links at <www.airgunletter.com>.
Bill

------------------
Talk is cheap. Free speech is not.

I had a mouse that was seeking refuge from the cold in my den a few months ago. I had one of those Daisy p-38 look alikes next to my computer hoping to catch him in the open.

------------------
-Essayons

I have a Webley Hurricane and a Sheridan Blue streak for indoor practice. Both have accounted for mice. A cool head and accurate fire is crucial to stop a charging mouse. Who knows what could happen if you just wound one of the critters!

------------------

Yep I still shoot airguns: 10m UIT practice most weekends at the local club and all the local competitions I can fit in to my schedule. Actually it was my dad's smoothbore Webley Junior that got me interested in shooting in the first place. I have about five air guns in addition to my live ammunition weapons. Can't imagine anyone interested in shooting not shooting air guns. Cheers! <font color=red>T.S.</font>

[This message has been edited by The Scandinavian (edited 01-05-99).]

When i was first designing TFL, we tosses around the concept of an Airgun Forum. Even got an agreement from Bill McWilliams to Moderate it.

I nixed the idea at the last minute, concerned that it wouldn't draw a crowd. If there's a real call for it, we can try it. Don't know if Bill would still be willing to take the host position.
Rich

I've actually been considering an air rifle for rabbit control. We had some nice landscaping put in a couple of months ago, and, I kid you not, we can get between 15 and 20 cottontails out there sometimes. You can hear them running off! My wife wouldn't go along with the idea at first, but they've eaten her hard work five or six times, and now she says it's a go. So, we either have to develop a taste for rabbit, or I can make an arrangement with my neighbor who owns the python ...

All kidding aside, can anyone suggest an accurate air rifle? [Normal target distance 7 to 20 yards.) And, I suppose I'll have to check the local rabbit reg's. My neighbor is just the type to get me busted for bunny hunting.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited 01-06-99).]

Jeff,

I've got an old Crossman 760, but for killing varmints, I use a Farco air-shotgun (410 gauge) which also shots a .433 caliber ball.

If I ever get to the Phillipines, I'd like to visit the factory and have them sell me the basic parts. I'd bring it back and have it assembled to take a rifled barrel for 100 yard shooting - just like those Austrians who, endearing themselves so well to Napoleon, had the latter order that anyone caught with an airgun to be executed. Apparently the silent (and rapid firing) airguns unnerved l'Empereur's soldats.

Gary

Jeff - I used to use airguns (BSA Airsporter and BSA Mercury) fitted with telescopic sights for pest (rats mostly) control. These weapons were at the UK power limit of 12 ft Lbs which I know is less than you can get in the US, but even so carefully "sniped" head shots were very effective. Didn't always drop them in their tracks but they didn't run far. Results on small rabbits were more marginal at that power level but again carefully placed head shots definately did the job, although for these we did end up using a .410 shotgun. Cheers and good hunting! <font color=red>T.S.</font>

The BSA Supersport .22,the Sheridan .20 or the Benjamin 292 .22 would dispatch rabbits out to 30 yards.
All these guns run $150 or less.
I would suggest a multi-aperature peep sight for accuracy (head shots). These run around $30.
The BSA is a beautiful gun. The blue would rival Colt, and the walnut stock has good grain. These are spring guns and develop around 14-15 ft lbs. force. The drawback is the fact that it is harmful to leave spring guns cocked for periods longer than 30 minutes. Also, the spring takes around 40 lbs force to cock it so women or kids have problems. Finally, it has a steel barrel. Powerful spring guns develop moisture, so they should be cleaned after use.
The pneumatics (Sheridan/Benjamin/Crosman) all have brass tubes and barrels, so moisture is not a problem. Also, these may be pumped up and left loaded all dat without any negative effect.
Bill

Shoot .68 caliber Paintball still... more fun than .177 caliber - mainly because your target has the chance to shoot you back! :)
Your job is to maximize your chance at hitting and minumize the other guys.
This makes for a much more fun time at the range than just trying to put all your holes really close together!

:) :) :) :) :)

------------------
Kodiac
Kenetic Defense Institute
"Sir Heckler"

Anyone had any experience with Gamo P-88?
Been kinda eyeing one for the over popalated bushy tailed rats in my yard.

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

Anybody have experience with Beeman (spring airguns made in Spain)? They have some interesting info at www.straightshooters.com
I'm not sure I need a muzzle brake or 9x scope on such an air gun or that extensive decible testing is needed, but their info is interesting.
BTW, squirrels ate their way into my neighbor's attic, causing extensive/expensive damage. Other than their funny antics, do squirrels serve any useful purpose? (They'd be good airgun targets! Quick & tricky at close range.)

------------------

10-21-99 modified url

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited October 21, 1999).]

I shoot a Beeman R-9 to keep up my skills in the winter. Also does a good job at removing those squirrels (with permit) which like to eat my house better than sunflower seeds. With a 3-9x scope and a rest, humane headshots out to 25 yards are taken. Shoot all day for 8 bucks (a tin of match pellets).

My girlfriend started with an air pistol and then moved to 22 then 32 and later will try 38. She uses the airgun for plinking where firearms are verboten and for teaching newbies. And she's very accurate with it.
See http://ddb.com/RKBA/q

I've still got my first Daisy pellet gun. Used it on a squirrel that was trying to make its home in my snowmobile the other day. When I was about 8 my dad had some really big flower gardens around our house. The squirrels loved digging everything up so my dad put a bounty on them. $5 a tail. That was until I actually whacked one. Then dad realized it was gonna get expensive. Down to $1 a tail. Eventually I think it got down to $.05 a tail. I guess a cheap Daisy is pretty accurate.

Andy

Jeff,

If I'm not too late in suggesting an air rifle for pest control, please check out RWS's Diana 40 and 50 series rifles. .177 cal pellets at 1100 or 1200 fps. Although I got a 48, I never clocked it with my chrono to substantiate the claim. It is an excellent and accurate rifle. The price range for this line of RWS is $150 - $300. Got mine thru Cabela's.

The drawbacks are the heavy single pull lever and a slightly noisy report (due to the pellet's speed around the sound barrier), considerably more than my old Crosman 760.

- Ron V.

------------------

Back