Who says cops can't shoot?

Of course some cops are fine shooters and the cop population does a pretty good job of mirroring the general population of gun owners. The vast majority of cops are not terriby skilled shooters just like the vast majority of the general population. Those that do not practice regularly and properly will not be all that good of a shooter.

The same can easily be said of your typical infantry shooter versus one of your operator types. The regular guys don't get the same time behind the trigger. Budgets, time restaints, etc.

It's a wide brush to paint with, but it does generally prove to be true.

Pepper Poppers are Huge

They are not very far away, either.

Four years ago, I was an observer of the NH Police Association's annual handgun shooting competition.

There was NOT ONE good shooter among them, and many where downright unsafe in their handling of pistols. Not a whole lot of gun etiquette.

The winner scored less than 80% of the possible score.

I say it now, and I'll say it again. The last place one should go for gun knowledge is a close tie between Hollywood and the police. :)

The last place one should go for gun knowledge is a close tie between Hollywood and the police.

...or the Internet. :D

This is a competiton forum is it not? If so, let's talk about cops in competition circles. There are some very accomplished law enforcement shooters who would make most of the forum regulars look like beginning plinkers. In the world of IPSC, Phil Strader comes immediately to mind. Heck, in my home state we have Ara Maljian. Just across our border we will find Ron Avery. All of those guys are IPSC Grand Masters.

I haven't seen the video, but yes poppers are big. However, line six of them up at ten yards a couple of feet from shoulder to shoulder like a big plate rack and guys like Phil, Ara and Ron will knock them down from the holster in 2 seconds and change. How many of you can do the same? In fact how many of you can even shoot half of them down in two seconds? OK, go for two of them.

Frankly, I think superior pistolcraft is something that should be complimented regardless of a person's vocation.

Frankly, I think superior pistolcraft is something that should be complimented regardless of a person's vocation.

Frankly, I think those who carry pistols should all have superior pistolcraft and that complimented should not be necessary as it should be the norm.

Of course, I won't be getting any compliments anytime soon.

I Can . . . .

with a stock Glock 17, but it came with practice. And I am almost 50. :)

I believe that EVERY LEO who depends on his shooting skills for his/her very life and those around SHOULD BE ABLE TO SHOOT WAY ABOVE AVERAGE.

Anything less is negligent. If an LEO with a hi-cap 9mm is drawing down on a perp, he had better not spray and pray in front of my store or home. No stray bullets allowed!

Carry a gun, shoot it better than average. One OWES it to the public that has entrusted you with the uniform or CCW.

LEO's above all people, should be the best shooters in any town.

The reason most cops aren't real "good" shooters, is time and $$$. Of all the skills a cop needs, shooting is WAY down on the list of priorities. Most of us will NEVER fire a shot.

So police departments put more emphasis on the law, procedures and dealing with people. I'd rather have a cop that is skilled with his mouth than with his guns any day. A "bad" shot MAY very rarely get people hurt or killed, but a "bad" talker can CERTAINLY get people hurt and or killed, that includes the public.

In a perfect world, cops would be experts in both areas.

A "bad" shot MAY very rarely get people hurt or killed, but a "bad" talker can CERTAINLY get people hurt and or killed, that includes the public.

There is more truth to this than a lot of us want to admit.

You have to realize that most LEO's you see in competition are doing it on their on time and their on dime. Most of the LEO's I know that are young are generally working a second job or extra shifts to make sure they have the money for a family, etc. Therefore they do not have the time to compete. Heck the local PD here doesn't even allow the officers to fire their issued weapons anywhere but the department range. Which has been shut down.

This is supposed to be a competition forum, but it looks like we have drifted right back into the perennial debate over LEO requirements.

For the record, I agree there are way too many LEOs out there who need to improve their gunhandling skills. Even LEO trainers won't argue that point. The problem comes when we set standards of performance. I think LEO standards across the board (excluding my home state and a few others) are way too low. The new course adopted by our academy is one of the most difficult in the country. On the flip side, there is no degree of firearms proficiency (beyond proof of a safe gunhandling program) required for "civilian" carry. We have a great example of two extremes. Where do we draw the line and who sets the standards?

For those of you who carry guns as "civilians" do you possess superior pistolcraft? In comparison to to what I consider "superior" I would dare say most of you probably suck, lol. Does that mean we need standards for civilian carry or would that fly in the face of 2nd Amendment rights?

Back to the competition thread. I viewed the video. The run the guy on the right makes is OK but it's certainly nothing spectacular. Sound off if you could beat him if you were the guy on the left, lol.

He shoots about the same speed as a middle "C" class USPSA/IPSC shooter.

In other words: way better than your average recreational pistol shooter, but a little sub-par in the world of practical shooting.

And yes, I could beat him.

Zak:

From what I know about you, there is no doubt you would smoke him like a cheap cigar. :)

PS

Guessing the class could be fun. I counted off the cadence. A "C" class shooter would shoot transitions in the realm of 1 and 2 and 3 and... The shooter in the video has a snappy 1,2,3... That and his reload, I would put in in B class or maybe even A.

Last edited:
Two, three

Things enter into LEO's as shooters. Go to matches, ask around, not many officers are shooters, a firearm is another piece of equipment on their belts. Some the nations top shooters in several disciliplines are LEO's. But the average LEO, as the average gun owners aren't shooters. I catagorize shooters as those who particapate in organized events. Money, upbringing, priorities, area of abode, family obligations, all enter into equation for reasons. Although, in my mind, survival enters, as does responsibility to family, as reason to shoot. Most LEO's go their whole career and never need to utilize their skills as acomplished shooters, which we should all be thankful for. Also many LEO's are taught that guns and ownership of same isn't proper, this in the larger dept's, cities, some states.

Shooting off your mouth.

F350Lawman, great post. It would seem there are a few informed persons who share there insights into the misunderstood world of law enforcement.

The county i work in there are what i would classify as average pistol shooters [ i include myself in that group] and one deputy who i very good, and two or three that are piss poor. We do a standard FBI qualification, having to shoot 80% or better - twice a year. It really ain't all that hard, but some seem to get tense everytime they have to shoot? But from what I've seen most LEO's are not really into the gun culture, it's just something that goes with the job.

12-34hom.

Well, you're both wrong...

bulm5 is partly right, the standard issue is a Beretta 92, but this guy uses a Para Ordnance P16

Back