Who owns a bullet proof vest?

exilefromhell

Just curious. Interested to know if the consensus would say you have to be paranoid to own one. If you do, what do you use it for (seems like a silly question but amuse me).

Thanks

I got one from Second Chance after my life was threatened. I don't wear it much since the threat got hammered. Nice vest though,

Dumb questions

Where do you find bullet proof vests and are they legal in California for us "regular" citizens (non-LEO's)?

Question:

Ballistic vests have a 'life expectancy,' usually about 5 years. Does this still apply if the vest is stored properly, but not worn? As in, if I bought a vest and sat it in a room-temperature, low-humidity closet for 15 years, would it still work as well as it should when pulled out and worn?

Mike

PS Yes, I know, there is an argument that even wearing the vests doesn't degrade them, and its all a gimmick to sell more vests.

I own a vest.

My friends think I am paranoid, but I just wear it to the range 'just in case.'

Unless you abuse the kevlar, it should be good for many many years.

www.bulletproofme.com did testing on a 11 year old police surplus vest. They shot it up with much more than one would hope ever to be shot (buckshot, 9mm's, .45's, etc) and it stopped everything. No backface data, but the kevlar was obviously working and stopping rounds.

I don't have the soft kind. I guess it depends on what you want it for. I would not where my ceramic plate daily, but for home defense it is fine and it stops rifle calibers with no backface deformation.

I'm actually saving up to buy some. THe exact model I want provides level III-A ballistic protection AND level III spike protection. It's the second change Ultima +P+ model. I found a local dealer in my city that will sell to civilians and they even do fittings right there! By the way, this is San Jose in the PRK so yes it is legal to get body armor as a civilian in the PRK.

What is the least obvious bullet resistant option?

I'd like to have something available to put on if the SHTF without walking around looking like a wanna-be or a human-turtle hybred.

I heard a radio article a few months ago about a South American firm that made bullet-resistant overcoats and such.

Anyone have any leads?

-J.

Check out bulletproofme.com - they have coats that look like sports jackets but have a bullet proof liner able to be sewn in. In fact, many armor companies offer something similar.

Hi exile

Now, let's think for a while.
Which piece of furniture or what part of your house will stop a 9mm? I mean guaranteed stop?

If I have to defend myself with a gun, then I want the odds tipped in my favor.

The BG's already have a plan or started the aggression against you. You're reacting...so at least even the playing field, right?

Course if they are using rifles, you now hit the a$$ puckering stage. Your soft body armor won't stop that kind of ammo.

Good luck in your choice.

One phrase you need to think about when discusing the life expectancy of a kevlar vest is "Product Liability". That five year warranty basically means that that manufacturer will accept the liability for up to five years unless they can PROVE that you did something to cause harm. No manufacturer wants to have that questioned settled in court, even if they win they lose business. I think (just my take on things) that the five year life is VERY conservative. The maker cannot guarantee the owner will properly clean and maintain it but they know that they will be looked at if their product fails. If you were in their position wouldn't you be overly cautious? Yes the material can degrade, direct sunlight on the uncovered pannels (inserts not covers) is especially bad as are some chemicals/cleaners but some police departments are using vests that are over 10 years old. They send a sampling of the vests and send them out for testing, if all pass they continue using those in service. I am not saying that the five year limit is without basis but logic tells me it is overly cautious (for understandable reasons).

I have had several over the years but I teach basic NRA classes, pistol and personal protection so use on the range is big with me. Before I taught I did some security work while in college but I would buy one otherwise for occasional use/in the home by the bed kind of thing. I also wore mine a few years ago while moving a friend. She had a neighbor stalking her who was unbalanced, not knowing what he might do I wore it, takes some force out of punches/kicks too.

I've got an outer wear one (made in Holland with DPM style cammo) that looks similar to the new issue flack vests. It's rated up to some rifle rounds and is suppost to stop all (most) pistol but without the trauma plate I'm leary. Not exactly what you would call unassuming or subtle but......
I actually bought it in Ireland a few years back (cheap). For some reason they seamed to go through quite a few of them. Go figure? Customs in England nearly had a cow coming back, untill I told them I was just coming from Ireland. That was all the explination they needed.:p

I have mine from/for work. We are required to wear it on the range when we go out 4x a year and I've gotten into the habit of wearing it to the range whenever I go now.
Feels weird if I don't. Like not wearing a seatbelt if you always do.
:)

Back