Who makes the best single stage press?

For pistols, it's CH4D; I think they call it the "444H" press. I have their older "333" model. For rifles, it's the Forster Co-Ax. (both presses will do both pistol and rifle cartridges)

Who makes the best single stage press? Where can I find one online?

Probably this thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKkOVjayYvo&t=46s

If you have $900.00 to spend on it. It uses linear ball bearings on the vertical rods.

If you want something more down to earth you could watch this video, it at gives you an idea of which press has the tightest tolerances and loads the most concentric ammo.

It's one of the Ultimate Reloaders videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqcYI0G2hqM

RCBS and Redding came out ranked at the top.

You'll get as many opinions as replies.

I can only tell you my experience: In 1984, I bought an RCBS "Reloader Special 2" (aka RS2). I think they're an RS5 now. And I believe the Rock Chucker (or whatever it's called) is now their more popular single stage.

My RS2 was the only press I ever used until I got my Dillon progressive in 2015. But my RS2 is still in commission and going strong. I still use it for small batches and rifle (I don't load much rifle). It has probably processed brass and loaded some 200,000 rounds. So yes, I recommend RCBS.

As for the kit, I think it's a good idea for most who are starting with nothing. When I started, I took the advice of a sage seasoned loader some 40 years my senior - he was a friend of a friend (and there was no internet - I literally knew nothing about loading going in). He gave me a one-afternoon tutorial; I gave him my money and he ordered everything (he was an FFL). I know a kit was involved; but I don't remember if the press was part of it or if it was a separate.

Bottom line: I used most all of the stuff in the kit , and maybe a couple things I didn't. Some stuff I upgraded; some stuff I wore out; and some I still use. All n all, I think it was a good way to go. I still use the UniFlow powder dispenser - works great to this day.

Most importantly, the kit had a reloading manual - that and my one-afternoon tutorial was all I knew about loading before I started. Unless you have an experienced loader helping you every step of the way, and pointing out exactly what you need piece by piece, a kit will get you up n running quickly.

I didn't :eek: .... Wonder how the OP liked/likes his RockChucker after all these years :D . Presses never go much out of date though :) .

You realize this thread is over two decades old?
yes yes I do. i was reading through very old posts looking for something interesting. This seemed currently relevant and I was curious to see how much things and presses had changed and decided to give it a bump.

Who makes the best single stage press? Where can I find one online? Also do you guys consider the kits that have most everything to be good deals or is it better to buy stuff seperatly?
I find that "kits" have someone else's idea of what I will need and use...not mine. When I look at kits, there are always things that I have never found a use for. So, I have always bought piece meal.

When it comes to a single stage press, determine what you are going to use it for. I have always used an RCBS Jr. press inasmuch as the majority of my handloading over many years was for handgun cartridges and the Jr. press has a shorter stroke than most of the more powerful (more mechanical advantage), presses. Also, I found that the extra power of the more sophisticated presses like a Rock Chucker or Bonanza Coax was never needed...30-06, .375 H&H, sized just fine. All my handgun handloading has been on a Dillon 550b for many years, but I kept the RCBS jr. for the little rifle cartridges I still load.
There are used presses on Ebay frequently...if money is a concern, presses and related can be found cheaper there than new.

hand press

I wish I bought a Sinclair hand press when they were available. They look nicer than the Lee. The press, dies, an electronic scale with pan, trickler, powder, and bullets would make a nice addition at the range after I finished shooting a ladder test and there was enough time to shoot loads within my discovered node. The bench presses are too cumbersome.

I thought this was interesting, the "ROCK CHUCKER SUPREME MASTER RELOADING KIT" retails for $400. Post 2 refers to the "kit" at $200. Not sure what came in the kit back then, maybe you get more now. Or if it is just economic inflation.

Post 2 also refers to the "internet", in 99 we just started roiling out broadband, this was most likely posted by dialup 56k modem on AOL. I don’t remember ecommerce being big back then . Must say, this site is doing something right if it has survived this long.

Last edited:
Probably this thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKkOVjayYvo&t=46s

If you have $900.00 to spend on it. It uses linear ball bearings on the vertical rods.

If you want something more down to earth you could watch this video, it at gives you an idea of which press has the tightest tolerances and loads the most concentric ammo.

It's one of the Ultimate Reloaders videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqcYI0G2hqM

RCBS and Redding came out ranked at the top.
You talking about the Prazi press??

That thing is pretty sweet, but you can buy 5 Rock Chuckers for the same price.
I agree with Bart.B

That thing is pretty sweet, but you can buy 5 Rock Chuckers for the same price.
I agree with Bart.B

So do I and the author of Ultimate Reloader in the second link I put up.

RCBS and Redding, according to the Ultimate Reloader, had the best lineup of ram to die and had the lowest TIR on the bullet of the fixed shell holder presses.
He said they equaled the Forster Co-ax with the floating shell holder and didn't need a floating shell holder to do it.

I have a Rockchucker ll and it is still as tight as it was in the early 80s when I bought it.
That prazi press to me is just something rich people would buy to stroke themselves so they can say they have the best, most expensive press there is. But it did have zero runout between ram and die according to UR.

Back