Who makes the best Red Dot scope under $200?

Who makes the best Red Dot Scope under $200

• Total voters
best Red dot?

Hands down, it's the UltraDot Match Dot.
For squirrel hunting with a .22, though, you don't need a "hardened" dot like the Match Dot. Pretty much any of the inexpensive dots will do just fine. I have a few $30-50 dots on squirrel rifles - for years - and they work just fine. I wouldn't slide mount one on my .45 nor would I put one on a heavy kicker. I tried an ATN and a "recoil proof" Cabelas dot on my .44 Contender. They broke after a half dozen shots, wouldn't hold zero, parts came loose. I took the Cabela dot and put it on a .22 and it was quite happy; the ATN ended up on an air rifle and has been functioning well.
Pete

Want to save money? Dont buy a cheap sight. ;)

I've had Tasco's, Bushnell's, BSA's, and a few others (and I dont really call $100+ cheap either), and they all didnt hold up. I replaced them all with Aimpoints starting about 5 years ago or so, and have never had a issue since. I've also never bother to turn them off anymore, and only change the batteries in them once a year now, whether it needs it or not.

For squirrel hunting with a .22, though, you don't need a "hardened" dot like the Match Dot. Pretty much any of the inexpensive dots will do just fine. I have a few $30-50 dots on squirrel rifles
+1. I have a Tasco on my GSG-5 and it works splendidly. I simply wouldn't put it on my Redhawk.:D

I've got an Aimpoint on my Super Redhawk that I bought used at a gunshow. I wouldn't spend what they want for a new one. It works great too.

The UltraDot would be my choice if I hadn't found the Aimpoint. They can handle heavy recoil without losing their zero.

Okay how about this for a related question...

What is/are some good choices for a fairly heavy kicker (SW model 500 8 3/8")? Obviously need a unit that won't come apart under use, but after that requirement is fulfilled what is a good unit otherwise or good bang for the buck?

What is/are some good choices for a fairly heavy kicker (SW model 500 8 3/8")? Obviously need a unit that won't come apart under use, but after that requirement is fulfilled what is a good unit otherwise or good bang for the buck?

Well, I know for a fact that an EoTech can handle the recoil....I had one mounted on my M2 during my last deployment and it worked great. :D

If I knew how to edit the poll, I would have added "other" for those folks who want to comment on other brands they're using.

KP

red dot

You are going to put this red dot on a .22 pistol, right? Many (all, most) of the sights mentioned are great pieces but are not under $200 (new the Aimpoint M1 is well over $500, used I don't know. The EoTech, have one on my Contender, is in the middle 300s. The C-mores are about 300. Great pieces every one but pricey). And....their strength is not needed for your purpose. I have an Ultra Dot Knock off on my High Standard Victor - cost was way under $100 fifteen years ago when I bought it. It has never failed, never lost zero and the gun has at least 50K rounds through it, maybe 75K.
Save your money for when you need the extra strength and features or for another gun.
Pete

You're right, and I'm not considering any of the scopes over $200 for my .22 but may think about them down the line for larger caliber pistols or revolvers.

I don't know if I want to go too cheap so I'm heavily leaning toward the Ultra Dot right now. I'm still considering Bushnell or Vortex if someone would chime in on that model.

KP

UltraDots have a lifetime warranty. They are rated for all pistol calibers. John

"UltraDots and Microdots are backed by a Lifetime Warranty that covers parts and repair for as long as you own your sight. Our technicians are trained to service and repair any problem should one occur. We even offer express turnaround service when you absolutely must have your UltraDot repaired and back to you for that all important match this weekend. Original invoice must accompany any request for repair. You can also contact us by email if you have any comments or questions."

Larry's Guns is the dealer I've used and is the warranty repair center. I belive he is still offering free shipping on orders over $100.

From a user review posted:

"I cannot speak highly enough about the Ultra Dots. I currently have 6 of them on a variety of 22's and slide mounted 45's. I have over 32,000 rounds documented through my main 45, which has a slide mount. At Camp Perry in 2002 the tension spring let go and Larry had it repaired within an hour. You can't beat his service. Al Schirado"

Well, I know for a fact that an EoTech can handle the recoil....I had one mounted on my M2 during my last deployment and it worked great.

As far as ones that can take heavy recoil we have these so far:

Aimpoint
Ultradot Matchdot series
and now EOTech.... but... an M2 and a 500 magnum don't have the same recoil.

heavy recoil and red dots

I shoot a Henry H101 45-70-mostly loaded with FFg Goex black powder and 405gr lead bullets. I am searching for a red dot that can handle the 45-70 recoil. So far-it has destroyed a Primary Arms MD-ADs -49 rounds and a low cost Sight Mark=--about 125 rounds. The felt recoil with my loads is about asd with a light weight 12 ga. What red scope can handle heavy recoil without losing or scattering its dots?

Back