Who makes +P 10mm soft flat nose ammo? I cant find any......

MarkCO said:
The OP's post looks to be referring to lead, not jacketed bullets, ...
I interpreted the OP just the opposite. The actual question is, "Who makes +P 10mm soft flat nose ammo?" I suppose that could mean solid lead bullets molded from a soft lead alloy (or pure lead), but when I read that my immediate thought was a semi-jacketed hollow-point projectile with the hollow point filled with some sort of soft polymer.

Perhaps the OP will be kind enough to return and clarify what he's looking for.

Buffalo Bore is by far the worst offender ...

offender against what, exactly??

Worse yet is that the closest thing they offer to safety guidelines is a short list of firearms that they've testfired it out of, so basically if you don't own any of the guns on the list, then don't buy the ammo, I guess?

Pretty much. I don't use their ammo, my handloads do everything I need and want, but I do rather admire their "business model" in some ways. They don't try to make ammo for everything, nor do they seem terribly concerned about making people happy by telling them everything about it. And, THEY DON"T HAVE TO.

They'll tell you if its higher than standard pressure, and they tell you what guns they have tested it in and that it is safe in those guns.

What more do you need?? If you don't trust them, don't buy their stuff. Seems simple to me. And a bit refreshing. Like Ruger stopping their written warranty. I respect companies that, essentially say "we're not playing stupid lawyer games".

If that's not enough for you, remember it is still a (mostly) FREE MARKET.

offender against what, exactly??

Unofficial use of the +P designation.

+P is an official designation used by SAAMI to describe loads which exceed Standard Pressure loads, but only by a percentage no greater than 10%. Buffalo Bore doesn't follow these standards and just arbitrarily labels any of their overpressure loads as "+P" regardless of whether or not said cartridge even has an official +P load documented by SAAMI, or even if it exceeds the 10% increase that SAAMI would otherwise designate as a +P load.

In many cases such as with their so-called ".45 Long Colt +P" loads, the pressure increase from Standard Pressure is over 30%, which is 3x more pressure than what would otherwise be designated +P by SAAMI Specifications and therefore should otherwise either be called +P+ (as long as they insist on unofficial usage of SAAMI nomenclature) or something more traditional such as "Super" or "Ultra Velocity" as other companies who have greatly increased the pressure of their loads beyond Standard Pressure limits.
Other times their so-called +P loads are a complete farce which don't even exceed Standard Pressure by 10% but are actually just loaded straight to the edge of SAAMI Specifications in which even the tiniest of variation could potentially exceed Standard Pressure, yet wouldn't quite reach 10% overpressure and therefore don't even require any special designation because any increase in pressure or performance is completely negligible.

In either case, it's deceptive marketing which makes unofficial use of designations without even so much as bothering to follow the same specifications of guidelines for said designations to be accurate.

I've pushed both 9mm and 10mm to failure, in both cases it was in the vicinity of +4,000 psi over their SAAMI max ratings--sometimes a little more or less depending on the gun it's shot in. Too many variables for any manufacturer to "guarantee" a load will work across the board in every gun IMO.

It's up to you to know what your gun will take, and what you're firing in it IMO when you "take a walk on the wild side." It's a rare gun manufacturer that's going to tell you "sure, you can routinely shoot ammo that's rated over SAAMI max."

Back