who makes an affordable O/U shotgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a Browning grade 1 hunter O/U that had good barrel lock up and the barrel finish was in good shape, but the stock was a wreck. I offered the guy $300 for the gun, and he took it. I paid $80 to have the stock refinished, and had the receiver and all small parts re-blued for $100. Then I had the stock fitted to me and installed a kick-eez pad for $45, and I now have a great hunting and skeet gun for about $525-$550 including some extra chokes I bought.

I personally would rather have a reworked Browning of Beretta than a cheaper foreign O/U.

I prolly would have done the same. A browning is a browning that's it. I bought a used 525 citori 30inch sporting barely used. Great condition with all the parts and 5th chokes paid 1500 the gun retailed for about 3000 new. Everyone said I got a good deal so far

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Affordable O/U

I recently purchased a Huglu (pronounced Hoo-Loo) 12 gauge o/u model 103FE from Gunbroker for a reasonable price. This gun is normally listed for $1200 - $1500. I paid around half of that. Check it out. This is a highly rated Turkish built shotgun.....check out their website at: http://www.huglu.com.tr/

Ruger Red Label is going around $1k and is a beautiful OU. Competes with many in the $15-$1800 range.
If you need to be around $500 the Baikal guns (turkish or russian) are not bad. I picked one up a few years back in 20ga. Handles nice, looks great from 10' away. The internals (ejectors, sides of action etc) are sharper than a razor and need to be gone over with a china stone. I have about a 1000rnds through it and its never had an issue. However it says that it will either extract or eject with a setting change. I have never been able to get it to extract only.
Beware of any used Browning Cynergy- from what I hear they had many issues with them.

Yep, and it won't be long before parts are unavailable.....

There are some pretty decent O/U scatterguns at Dick's Sporting Goods

No, really, there aren't.

For the OP's price range, he MIGHT luck into (seriously doubtful though) a used BT-99. In his price range a used Beretta gas gun like a 303, 390 or 391 is actually more doable, better built than stuff from Turkey (and I own a Turkish SxS that is very well made) and it will also stand up to the rigors of a large volume of ammo through it. Huglu makes somewhat decent guns, AKUS makes even better, but most are not designed to go the distance like a BT-99, let alone a Ljutic or Silver Seitz.

BTW, $1500 is nothing for a quality target shotgun, most of the "B" brands in that range (not all mind you) will be field versions, not target versions. And yes, there is a difference, especially in weight.

First,I'm not a trapshooter,and I'm not much of a shotgunner.

Long ago,after getting laid off,I had a little severance pay.Not exactly mad money.I saw a closeout on the Berretta 686 Essential O/U for $599?Maybe $699.
Its been my go-to shotgun ever since..IMO,for an O/U a Berretta 686 is a good,sound shotgun.I do not know the used market on them.

But what I have noticed that has gone on around me,whether its SxS fans,O/U fans,Pump fans,or any other,once they try the Bennelli semi-auto....

Most all seem to end up getting one.

Turkish made O/Us will simply not hold up to a "serious" volume of targeting shooting. What serious means is up to you, but I've owned a few cheap O/Us and none of them lasted long with how often I shoot.

The Remington 870 trap is affordable and should work very well for you.

Browning makes a BPS Trap gun with adjustable chokes so you could use is for just about anything. I think they are $600-700 new

If you can make do with a field gun instead of an actual trap gun(many shoot field guns) then a used Citori is pretty affordable. If you want an actual o/u trap gun prepare to pay more.

Missed this one when it was resurrected...

Rule of thumb for everyone...

If your only purpose in resurrecting a years-old thread is to comment on it as if the original poster asked the question yesterday....

Don't.

There's a reason the thread went dormant for, in this case, 4 years...

The OP had his questions answered and everyone ran out of something to say.

If you have something to share with the group, then please open a new thread of your own.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back