Who is the king of of BTSP hunting bullets?

Best BTSP

• Sierra Game King

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Speer BTSP

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 13 37.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know exactly what you mean about the 165gr Game Kings, they kill on contact like clockwork, but man do they leave some nasty exit wounds! Shooting them at high end 30-06 speeds they are more destructive then needed for any whitetail around here, would probably make a perfect 400 yard mule deer bullet though.

Brian, BTSP has evolved to mean "Boat tail spire point." Most manuals now code "BTSP" to be "Boat tail spire point." The envelope of "spire point" has likewise evolved to cover about anything that comes to a sharp point. The Berger, Barnes X, and match king are all spire points. A hollow point and spire point are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
Really.

Well that's fascinating.

Doesn't that pretty much mean that any bullet that's not a Flat Point is an "SP".

If SP means Soft Point, Spire Point, Hollow Point and Ballistic Tip, pretty much says there's only two acronyms now.

Pretty much Round nose, flat nose, TMJ, Monolithic solids, and the open hollow points have their designation. You have the non boat tail spitzer. Pretty much everything else falls into the "boat tail spire point" category.

More interesting.

If a ballistic tip, a hollow point and a spire point are all "SP", one would wonder why a monolithic solid and a FMJ would not also be "SP". Very little difference. Round nose, I guess, could be different. Might depend on how "round" the nose is though. Not much difference between "round nose" and "soft point" in a lot of cases.

Strange.

I think the reason a TMJ would not be "BTSP" is because they do not have true boat tails on them. I would guess that a monolithic solid always gets its own designation so that the bullet makers can command a super, excessive, premium price for them.:)

I would have to re-read some stuff, but if my memory serves me correctly, Hornaday was the first company to start using the generic "spire point" to encompass several of their bullet shapes and designs.

Yep, remember when the first boat tails came out? They were "boat tail spitzers." I guess someone eventually realized that if it has a boat tail on it, its not really a spitzer.

Remeber Sierra does make several HPBT Game King bullets, I actually like these due to the way the tips don't get buggered up.

Back 60+ years ago, the tapered nose portion of Hornady Spire Points was a straight-walled conical section. Not an ogive. In 30-caliber, I know that was the case for both 110-grain and 150-grain.

Rifleman, the Match King, regardless of its design intention, can be a devesdating hunting bullet.

..... :confused:

... Oh, "devastating" ......

....and a monkey wrench makes functional bludgeon on occasion ...... still not the right tool for the job.

Back 60+ years ago, the tapered nose portion of Hornady Spire Points was a straight-walled conical section. Not an ogive. In 30-caliber, I know that was the case for both 110-grain and 150-grain.

I have some .277" 150gr Hornady "Spire Points" that look like that ..... given to me by an elderly gentleman...... goofy looking things .... they do shoot ok, though.

I've used Nosler Ballistic Tips over several seasons, but switched to Barnes TSX and Hornady GMX. The TSX has fouled some of my bores, but the GMX doesn't.

Remington Core-Loct factory loads in some rifles I've sighted in shoot as well as good handloads and they're devastating on deer. A Rem Mod. 7 that I bedded shoots them into 1/2 MOA at 100 yards!

All I have ever used (mostly) is Sierra bullets when reloading my 223's and 30-06's. I know it isn't a BTSP but Sierra's 165gr BTHP Gameking is one of the best hunting bullets ever invented. I shot a 160lb doe with my M-44 Hungarian using a S&B 174gr ammo that was loaded with Sierra bullets and it was extremely effective and did quite a bit of damage when it exited. I know ''they'' say not to use match bullets but they work.

Sierra gets my vote.

I can think of one bullet that was sold years ago and discontinued. Why ? I haven't a clue. If given the chance to buy more. I would bypass all in the market seen today for a box these: Nosler Solid Base.

Back