Who here likes 6mm Remington?

My family has killed truck loads of deer with a 6mm. My grandfather, dad, and uncles all bought them back in the late 60’s early 70’s. Not sure why they all went with that caliber back then. I now have a couple rifles in 6mm.

I bought an M788 in 1970 chambered in 6mm Remington. Never fired a factory round, all handloads mostly with the Hornady 75HP over 46 grains of IMR4350. Killed a lot of Nevada jacks with that load. Later loaded the Hornady 87-grain SP over 44 grains of IMR4350, shot feral goat and deer. One black bear almost got away, so after moving to Alaska I switched to more potent rounds.

The best shot I ever made was on a male mallard at 250 yards with the 75-grain bullet (it was a 1/2 moa load). Clipped off his head, recovered him and ate him the next night. Four witnesses so it did happen. Statute of limitations has run out!

Remington made the same mistake with the .244 that they did with the 260, and to a degree the same mistake they made with the 280/7mm-06/ 7mm Express cartridges. Remington envisioned the .244 as a varmint round and initially made them with 12 twist barrels that really did best with bullets well under 100 gr. They also chose to offer factory loads with soft bullets not suited for big game.

The Winchester 243 came with a 10 twist barrel that could handle both light varmint bullets and heavier big game bullets. Hunters chose the more versatile 243 by a wide margin.

When Remington renamed it the 6mm Rem they also went with a 9 twist barrel that was even better than the 243 with heavier bullets. But it was too late, and American shooters weren't yet ready to accept cartridges with metric designations. A good cartridge that Remington mis-managed.

This is a good reading post! I like the .243 but have been disappointed with its lack of exit wounds. Always found the deer but even with the Barnes TSX I was expecting exits. Never got them. Shortly before I married my wife, I found out her deer rifle that had been mothballed for the years she was in college is a 6mm tang-safety Ruger M77. We haven’t got it out to shoot yet, but it’s in the plans. I look forward to reloading for it and seeing how the TSX’s perform on deer later this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back