who has the least costly ammo

There's really no such thing as 'free shipping'. You pay for it one way or another. Buying ammo(or components) online isn't a good idea in the first place. Shipping and Hazmat fees will negate any savings.
Buy locally. Your local gun shop can order anything you want in any quantity you want. Just be prepared to pay up front.

I have to disagree. The only thing more overpriced than guns at gun shops in my area is ammunition. My local Walmart has better prices as long as they carry the caliber that I need.

Buying ammo(or components) online isn't a good idea in the first place. Shipping and Hazmat fees will negate any savings.
Maybe in Canada, but I haven't found a gunstore yet that can sell me a 5000 rd. case of CCI 22lr standard velocity for $375 delivered - but I did online...

And there's no hazmat fee for ammo.

Jim

What for? If you are punching paper at 5-10 yards, what ever you can find in "cheapest", if your firearm can handle it an you know how to clean it afterwards. Cheaper Than Dirt is a start, but also look at a reputable large gun shop and there are many sales for various caliber rounds.

If it is for personal protection, don't do "cheapest!"

Is it really that expensive to reload? I was always under the impression that one could reload at around 10 cents a round. 15 to 18 cents is getting way too close to what I can buy factory ammunition for at least in 9mm and 40.

Jasmith85: 9 mm and 40 are at the low end, because as mentioned above the bullets are the most expensive component and the bullets for those calibers are pretty cheap. I reload 9 mm for about 14 cents. .380 ACP costs quite a bit more for factory ammo, but the reloading costs are similar. You get up to 18 cents or so reloading bigger calibers with heavier bullets.

Also the costs I mentioned reflect the fact that I shoot indoors mostly, so I use a nice heavily plated bullet (X-Tremes are my current favorite). Uncoated lead is a cheaper bullet, and some people melt lead and cast their own bullets, making the whole process even cheaper yet.

Basically, if you save and scrounge brass, you are going to put somewhere around 3 or 4 cents worth of powder in a 9 mm or .40 cartridge, along with a primer that costs, here, 3.5 cents, and a bullet. So price your bullets online, add 7 cents for the powder and primer, and you are going to be in the ball park.

Hope that helps. The reloading forum here is very helpful if you are considering buying a press and getting started. I am hard pressed to think of any community that is more generous with their knowledge than reloaders.

Cheap Ammo??

Doc,following your posts,I see your happy,your Rugers are happy,and your groups are spot -on.Remember,we get what we pay for.;)Skeets

Back