Who has ever experienced a true "hang fire"?

"I pulled the trigger and heard a pop." -claymore1500

So the popping of the primer is something you'll always hear with a hangfire? Never experienced one.

The only one I recall is some .50-70 government ammunition that was at least 100 years old.

Of ten rounds, three never did go off, 3-4 had noticeably delayed ignition (one about 3 seconds) and the rest worked fine.

I had a Remington UMC .45 Auto round take about five seconds. It was the first round I put in the magazine. I thought maybe because I cleaned it, maybe I put it back together wrong.

I waited for safety, and right when I exhaled from nervousness it went off! The round was messed up when it did fire. The round didn't seem like it had the correct powder amount because it wasn't louder than of .45 Auto's. The shell casing was split right down the side.

I disassembled and examined my firearm, and everything was in order. I fired the other rounds in that box and didn't have a problem.

I've fire countless rounds (10K+), and I've never had any problems with the exception of this one.

Only with some old, suspect 7.62x25 ammo in a CZ52.

Certainly not enjoyable in any way-discontinued after the second instance of it in about 20 rounds, and threw the rest away.

Checking the brass afterward, we found about half had serious splits in the case neck.

The whole concept of a handfire is pretty scary, if you consider that for something like that to occur, the propellant has to be breaking down in some unpredictable way.

Larry

These stories are kind of scary.

I had a Federal .308 that was a dud with two heavy strikes last year. I was busy shooting a muskrat so I reloaded after a 3 or 4 seconds. How long should I have waited.

What is the longest hangfire anyone has experienced first hand?

Back