Who has been confronted for CC?

gunpowder

An aquantance of mine was in a Hardies and an elderly lady bumped into him at the counter. While sitting down to eat a cop starts cruising the parking lot. He remarks to his very pregnant wife that it would be funny if he was looking for him. The cop goes to the counter to talk to the manager and the manager points directly to my aquantance who is CC. The policeman and his new female partner (one of two new to the force) confront the CC'ier and ask for his CC permit. While reacing for his wallet the Female starts to draw on him! The CCier's wife grabs the CCier's arm to stop him from reaching for his wallet. With eyes locked the CCier confirms to the other officer that he is requesting his CC permit. To make a long story short the female officer never reholstered her gun until many minutes later after she is outside. The CCier thought that his wife was going to have a baby right there. Any others have experiences we could learn from?

Newbie cop's just a LITTLE too edgy! If she didn't reholster her sidearm after the, in this case, imagined threat was over, I hope she got a butt chewin'. She should have reholstered LONG before going back outside. Poor tactics and practice. I've always thought about what to do in such a situation, having been and being on both sides. If an LEO asks to see your CC permit, before you make ANY move, you tell them where your permit is, and where your firearm is holstered. Then you tell them exactly what you're going to do (unzip your jacket, what hand you're going to use to get your CC permit,etc.), and NO sudden moves. If you can keep one hand visible and away from you while reaching for your CC permit, all the better. Try to not take it personally if they're a little uptight. They deal with the bad guys with guns. They don't know who you are yet, and knowing that you have a firearm makes most a little edgy. Keep calm and cooperate, and things should go fine.

I have had a couple experiences with people when CC'd. I once had a kid lift my jacket in a store to look at my pistol. When I spun my arm around (reflex) and smashed the idiot kid in the head with my elbow, I was asked to leave the establishment. It didn't seem to matter that I was legal and what the teen did could have constituted a real threat to myself and others. According to the store manager, I was in the wrong because if I was not armed, the kid would not have been tempted. I left with no fuss, the kid got a bloody nose for his efforts and the storte lost a customer forever. The cops did come and only rolled their eyes when the story was told.

All I can say is that when carrying, we need to be even more careful than ever. I believe that in the eyes of the paranoid masses, the fact that you are armed makes you in the wrong. Many anti-gunners believe that if you go around armed, your looking for trouble. When confronted with someone who sees your armed and starts to freak the best thing is to stay calm, keep your voice down, and when asked by a responsible person, leave the area.

This may sound rough, but in some way I do not blame the cop for being jumpy. A firearm is an unknown. Your buddy may well be an upstanding citizen, the cops don't know that. I was always told and believe that if asked for your CCW by a cop, do it by the numbers. "Okay, officer my permit is in my wallet on my LEFT SIDE. My pisol is on MY RIGHT SIDE. I will now reach for my wallet...." You get the point. Think about it, you friend probably just reached right around for his wallet and scared the hell out of the cops. Even cops that believe in CCW get jumpy around an armed citizen, wouldn't you?

*** I just thought of this. The cops were actually pretty stupid for not asking your buddy if they could secure the weapon before requesting the CCW. Without getting long winded, I was stopped in a DUI Wolf Pack. I was armed and let the cop know I was. The cop ***ASKED*** me if he could secure my weapon and if I would then show him my permit. I stepped out of the car, he took the gun from its holster from behind, placed it on the roof of my car. I showed him my permit, I reholstered, he thanked me and I went on my way.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder
Tucson, Arizona territory

I got a little nervous yesterday going into the local Federal building which has guards and metal detectors. I had forgotten about the stringent security measures taken in these buildings when I walked in. Fortunately, I was not carrying a gun, but I was carrying my Benchmade minireflex autoknife(fortunately legal in this state). AS luck would have it, the guy in front of me, although not carrying a gun, was carrying a whole bowlful of metal, including a pocketknife. This guy made it thru, but I was still worried about having a switchblade. I told the guy I had a pocket knife, and handed it to him. He looked it over carefully, and to my great relief said I would just have to check it with him before I entered the building.

I am glad I was not carrying my 38 special.

[This message has been edited by lucky085 (edited December 14, 1999).]

The key to carrying concealed is an almost paranoid awareness of your surroundings. You NEED to know if someone is close to you---you almost have to develop a sixth sense about it. And when someone IS close, you need to isolate that person from wherever your gun is being carried, eg turn away from them, fold your arms casually behind your back to shield the gun, whatever.
This situational awareness is also an aid to detecting potential trouble coming, and has been a very handy side effect of carrying concealed for me.

This is why I favor a shoulder holster. I avoid crowds like the plague, but if I do get bumped, all they feel is my arm. I usually have a windbreaker of safari vest on, I keep the bottom zipped (or the vest snapped so it won't flop open in the breeze. So far so good, but I hope I never have to have that conversation with an officer, but I think there's good advice above. If asked, I'd admit I'm armed, tell 'em where it is, and ask how they'd like me to proceed, real calmly. M2

Keep your family in the loop, too.

A fellow I know who has a Virgina CCW license had the "interesting" experience of having his four-year old daughter stand up in a shopping cart at the local super market and shout to the world "MY DADDY'S CARRYING A GUN!!!"

He never would tell me the full details, but he said things got interesting.

Jim

I like to carry "Mexican" (IWB Clip, of course). I really don't worry too much about getting bumped into.
They may just think it's a banana.

I was stopped by a Ga. State Trooper for speeding on Ga. 23. This was back when they wanted you to step out of the car. I was wearing a sports jacket and carrying a Colt .45 in a holster on my right hip and a Seecamp .25 with the then non AOW wallet holster in my right front pocket. I carry weapons on my right side and keys, wallet, checkbook on my left side. As I was walking back to my car I fumbled my wallet and dropped it. Bending down to pick it up, apparently the slits in the back of the sports jacket hung open revealing the Colt. The trooper asked if I was carrying a pistol.
"No, sir,"I replied,"I'm carrying two pistols." He then asked if I had a permit and I replied in the affirmative. He nodded, told me to slow down and have a good day and left. Never did ask to see my permit but I bet he called the sheriff's office to see if I had one.

------------------
Byron Quick

Yeah, last year when we had something to transact in the "Bank of America" in Phils. I was already inside the bank when the plainclothes security pointed my .45 at my waist with his stick, he then asked me to deposits my firearms at the building entrance. I did follow with all the documentation done and go back inside the bank. Perhaps when I passed a door going inside the main office there has an x-ray metal detector, it's the only time I was accosted. Every thing went fine and I did took it back when I went out from the bank.

Note: Polite LE, Guards, who has no other intention will not cause trouble to any one and it depends how you react.

I've got some experience on both sides of this issue. VERY few CCW's in CA that aren't cops, consequently, as a uniformed cop, if I come across somebody armed, he / she is either a cop or carrying "illegally." Most of the time, the illegal one is a doper or gangbanger. No problem...off to jail. I have run across a few good citizens who for one reason or another, I discovered them to be armed. If a routine record check turns up clean (no dope/assaults/felonies), they walk, regardless if they have the "license" or not. They are usually quite flabbergasted when I return their gun and send them on their way, as most cops would arrest them for CCW if the don't have the paper.

On the flip side, I did a narc stint a few years back, and played the "bad guy" look to the hilt...very long hair, beard, earrings, tatts, rode a HD, and, to my wife's chagrin, occasionally missed a shower. When I did get stopped by the cops, I was generally more afraid of them than the crooks...especially if a "nervous nelly" like the above post cause I always carry at least one gun.

My standard "opening line" was "I'm a cop and I got a gun." Most usually just had me hand over my ID card and I was on my way, although some were not sure or hestitant due to my looks. If they wanted to lay me in the street, that was OK...anything's better'n a bullet-hole.

Misslecop's got it right, move slow and deliberate...tell the nice officer who you are...and do what he tells you. Hopefully, he'll appreciate it and cut you some slack.

Moon

gunpowder,one thing that was not mentioned was what the Officers reasonable belief was, what they were told by the elderly lady. Many times elderly folks unintentionaly exagerate and when combined with a new underpaid dispatcher who miscomunicates with her and then passes it on to the Officers your friend could have been "brandishing" the gun. There's no easy way.

As a cop I have NO WAY OF KNOWING who or why you are until I contact you. In the case you mentioned I would say the Officers did a good job in initial approach in that if they were seen then they were also watching and scanning on the approach. In other words, they didn't just sneak up and rush in at gun point. They (at least one of em) stayed calm and asked for ID but unfortunatly the partner apparently didn't hear the request. Maybe she had her radio too loud, got distracted by someone trying to cut through, etc...

I can't even begin to try to explain why the Officer felt she shouldn't reholster because we don't really know what was said between everyone or the "totallity" of the circumstances. If your friend feels strongly enough I would encourage him/her to contact that Officer but not to complain but to ask for an understanding. Keep in mind, as unpleasant as the experience was it's unlikely that they violated any policy.

Tactically, whether you're a cop or carrying concealed your ID needs to be readily and easily accesable with your off hand and not in a wallet in your right rear pocket near the gun. If you had to produce your gun, whether you shoot or not, if you are expecting police you should be able to quickly show your ID and have it out PRIOR to their arrival and communicate verbally with them at the same time.

WHENEVER contacted by Police have your hands out of your pockets or if in a car on the wheel.

As an added note, history shows that the quiet, super calm and cooperative person is usually hiding something. The calm before the storm so to speak. Unfortunatley, there's alot of good folks out there like your friends.

Be thankful that we (I won't be a cop forever) can carry concealed. Society is not quite used to it yet and we're bound to have some problems along the way.

Dave Moon - as a CA resident I thank you.

ALL - so what do you do in a store crowded with Christmas shoppers? What about a commuter train that people continue to press into until you're body-to-body?

In crowds keep your arms down. Elbows in and how would they know unless they are "checking you for weapons" Some "ladies of the night" can frisk a person in public better then many officers can do against a wall. Just watch them one night with "walk in " customers. The little bump, arm on shoulder is to check for shoulder holster or strong side. Then a quick check of jacke pockets. If you arn't watching for it you may miss it.
But if you are bumped and notice the person lookin strange I would just pull my cell phone "which I carry in pocket just below" and look at it as if damaged. Then put it back and walk on.

A few years back, a mmember of our shooting club was carrying his .44 magnum in a shoulder holster and was on the way to our range to shoot. He stopped at a convenience store about 300 feet from the club entrance and bought a coke and a sandwich. He opened his coat to remove his wallet and the young girl clerk got a shocked look on her face. He proceeded to the range, fired, and as he was leaving, shortly after turning onto the highway, three County cars pulled him over, dragged him out of his car at shotgun point, threw him onto the ground, took his revolver and wallet and handcuffed him, impounded his car and booked him into jail.
He was charged with "attempted robbery", which, when he was able to find a lawyer who would take his case, the Prosecutor reduced to "Intimidation with a firearm."
The charges were eventually dropped, but his revolver was not returned. The poor fellow and his attorney got an order from a judge to return his property forthwith. The sheriff refused and after a long period returned the gun rusted into junk.
The sheriff was not reprimanded for his action. His statement to the press was that he was apalled that the person had gotten off on a technicality.
Does that tell you that "concealed" weapons had better stay "concealed?" If somebody sees it and gets upset, you have committed the crime of "intimidation."
And, long ago when I had just gotten my first CCW, I stopped off at a lunch counter for a sandwich and cup of coffee. A young police officer sat down next to me. Unknown to me, my pistol slipped partially out of my jacket pocket.
Next thing I knew the officer identified himself and demanded to see my license. As I moved to remove my wallet, he made a menacing movement toward his holstered revolver. I called out very loudly so that everybody would hear:
"Don't draw your gun on me! I'm removing my wallet to show you my gun permit. Don't draw your gun on me!"
Turning beet red, he sputtered very quietly that he wasn't going to do that.

This was not a CCW problem but it will show you how things can get out of hand quickly. I was working for an alarm company about 15 years ago and myself and a new guy had been working in the bank since about 8AM. About 4PM I was working and heard a gun being cocked next to my right ear. I put my hands on the counter and turned my head to the right and my glasses clicked the end of the gun barrel that was almost touching my head. I looked to my left in the next teller station and the new guy was sitting on the floor doing some wiring. What he did not know was that there was a 12ga pointed at the top of his head by another policeman leaning over the teller counter. I told the new man to put his tools down and "assume the position"(we had had a long talk previous to this and this was the signal for major trouble and never to be used as a joke). He sat his tools down and slowly put his hands on the counter and levered him self up. I told him to close his eyes, which he did.
I turned to the cop by me and informed him that he had the situation under control and could he uncock his pistol (4"Python) and back off a little, the gun was about 4" from my nose.
He tells me to shut my F**king mouth, grabs me by the collar, jerks me upright, spins me around and slams me into the brick wall a few feet behind the teller line, hits me in the back of the head with the end of the barrel of a still cocked gun and pushes my face into the brick. I thought to myself "Mister I am going to have your butt on a stick."
About this time the bank manager comes over and demands to know what is going on. He is informed that a silent alarm had gone off and that they were responding to it. He tells them that dispatch had been called and told we were working in there all day and he was the one that had called.
About that time a sargent that I knew came in and asked what the problem was. I informed him that the off going dispacthers has forgotten to tell the oncoming dispathers that we were working in there.
When the sargent asked me if every thing was all right. I asked him what it would cost me to knock the young officer standing there on his ass. When told a year in jail, I looked at the officer and informed him it would almost be worth.
The sargent asked what was the problem? I asked if it was departmental policy to stick a gun in a mans ear and cock it? He looked at the officer in suprise and said No!! I asked if it was policy to cuss a man that was cooperating with you? Still looking at the young office he replied no!! I asked if it was policy to slam a man into a brick wall that was cooperating and mess his face up like this(pointing at my left check which was scratchedup). He again relied no!! and looked at the office some more. I asked if it was policy to hit a man in the back of the head with a cocked pistol, about this time he was about to lose it. He again replied no!!
I then asked if I needed to go down town to sign a complaint? He looked at me and called me by first name and said "No I will take care of the problem". The young office by now was looking at the floor and looking for a hole to fall down.
The sargent and the rookie left together and I know for a fact (I happened to look at my watch) it took 45 minutes of butt chewing before the rookie managed to get back into his vehical and left.
A side bar on the incident. I was at the dispatch about 3 weeks later and ran into the sargent. It seems the rookie had been working a 3 car accident on the freeway when the call came in and he had run off with every ones driver licenses, insurance forms and other misc items when the silent alarm call was given out over the radio. When he got back every one from the lieutentent down to his shift sargent was at the accident site trying to find out where he had gone. He did not answered his radio for 45 minutes. The sargent told me that the shift lieutentent had been informed of ALL of the young man's errors that day and he would NEVER do anything like that again, and I had the department's apologies, which I accepted.
Sorry for the length of the story, but I thought it would show both sides of a bad situation (of about a dozen incidents I have been involved in that was the most tense)and that things can get out of hand. PS. when I told the new guy he could open his eyes, after he had assumed the position, they crossed when he tried to focus on the end of the shotgun barrel about 6" from his nose. He called me a bad name later, but I only laughed that much harder.

Scary. That's why all law enforcement agencies should only hire candidates with previous firearms experience.

Minneapolis' force had almost half of them fail to qualify on their first go around a while back.

Most are really great but it's that darn 10 percent that don't have or never will have what it really takes to size it up and deal with conflict without drawing.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rad turds powered by rodent farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

couple CCW anecdotes:

Yesterday, when I exited my pickup, unbeknownst to me, my coat I was wearing raised up and "caught" on top of my paddle-holstered pistol on my right kidney area. After shopping in WalMart for about 10 minutes, I "checked" my coat for precisely this type of situation (normally do before entering a place - cranial flatulence), and sure enough, the gun must have been exposed to anyone to my rear the whole time I was walking around - and the store was BUSY yesterday. But no one, employee or otherwise, said anything, and I continued to shop for another half hour or so. Doh!

Second, my bank had had those standard "No weapons" signs on the doors to the main branch where I go. One day I got a questionnaire from them asking me what I liked and disliked about the bank. I jotted down I disliked the fact that law-abiding citizens had to disarm before entering, and I therefore did NOT feel safe when in the bank, and this didn't make sense to me or comport with the spirit/intent of the CCW law. About one month later, the signs were gone! Don't know if due to me only, though....

In the past several years the number of ordinary people with permits to
carry concealed weapons has dramatically increased. From time to time these
permit holders encounter law enforcement officers in the course of normal
activities, whether it be a traffic stop, license checkpoint, accident or
whatever. I've seen a number of posts in this and other forums on the
general subject of what permit holders should do in these encounters. (In
my state of South Carolina the law places specific requirements on permit
holders. These rules are covered in the training that permit applicants
must undergo.)

I have yet to see any mention of what training, if any, LEOs are getting in
dealing with legally armed members of the public. Are the academies
including the subject at all? What about training for those already on the
job? I understand most departments have ongoing training programs to keep
their officers current in everything from racial and cultural sensitivity to
avoiding AIDS and hepititis, but what about training in how to deal with the
legally armed public? The last thing anybody wants is an unfortunate
incident brought about through a misunderstanding.

I'll stick my neck out and say that permit holders are state-certified good
guys. I'll stick my neck out even farther and say that permit holders are
much more likely than the average citizen on the street to support law
enforcement . There is, or at least ought to be, a good relationship
between permit holders and law enforcement officers. Are those men and
women on the law enforcement side of the relationship getting the training
and encouragement they need in order to keep things working smoothly?

Back