Who Does DA Caliber Conversions?

The S&W M617 and also M63 are both interesting ideas for a re-chamber to a high capacity 22 WMR. While I would prefer to modify my M48 if possible, I will pursue these other two.

Does anybody have suggestions for who would do the re-chambering work?

M63 is on J frame. I guess you could squeeze in seven.

All this is Type 3 modification, physically possible but hard to find somebody willing to go to the trouble.

p.s. It won't likely come for $100 either. The extractor star has to be fabricated, the cylinder stop holes have to be milled, the chambers are reamed -- not just drilled.........

Maybe $1000 would do it??

Yes, I've been exchanging a few emails with Hamilton Bowen. He seems to specialize in Single-Action revolvers, while I am wanting DA. He hasn't yet conclusively said he can't help me, and we are still exchanging thoughts about this, but I'm not optimistic that this avenue will be fruitful.

As per posts #20-22, it would be good to find somebody who would do 22 LR to 22 Mag conversion on a S&W Model 63. That might scratch my 22 Mag itch.

Will also continue to hope for a way to get an 8-round 327 Mag. I discovered Janz Custom Revolvers (Germany) and have confirmed that they will build exactly what I am looking for, but it would cost ~10,000. I'm considering it, if only I can figure out how to sell everything in my wife's jewelry box, and her car, without her noticing.

Ruger makes a 7 shot .327, an 8 shot .22 and a 10 shot .22 which are surely stout enough to rechamber to WMR. I don't know if they use different barrel bore specs for .22 LR and Convertible LR/WMR.

Yes, I've been considering the Ruger GP100 7-shot 327 Magnum, but really prefer 8 rounds, so I won't bite on the 7 rounds until I've convinced myself that a custom solution for 8 rounds is just not possible. I'm not quite there yet.

Back