Whitworth 375 H&H

Well I'm confused now. Mark X was the model name I was trying to think of. It was the low end of InterArms line. I'm talking 1980s. Was the Whitworth marked made in England on a
Czech action! And how about the Parker Hale they had in their line at the time? Where was it made?

Well I'm confused now. Mark X was the model name I was trying to think of. It was the low end of InterArms line. I'm talking 1980s. Was the Whitworth marked made in England on a
Czech action! And how about the Parker Hale they had in their line at the time?
Interarms used the Mark X name for their line of commercial Mauser rifles. There were the
* Viscount (checkered varnished European walnut, adjustable trigger, black plastic buttplate, pistol grip cap and forend tip (earlier ones had white line spacers), sling swivel studs)
* a low-frills model (can't remember the model name) without the plastic nose cap and a simple two-stage trigger.
* Continental (full-length Mannlicher stock with European hogback comb, adjustable trigger, steel nose cap and grip cap)
* Alaskan (heavy magnums, 375 H&H, 458, with adjustable trigger, checkered walnut with low-gloss finish)
* Whitworth (later production rifles with reddish stain European walnut, checkered, low gloss finish, rubber recoil pad, plastic tip and grip cap, some had a piece of walnut laminated into the center of the stock to reduce splitting in heavy calibers)
* the Mini-Mauser was introduced in the mid 1980s, it was also made by Zastava and was named "mini-Mauser" to tie it into their line of Mauser rifles.

All Interarms Mauser actions were made in Yugoslavia at the Yugoslavian Craguyevac armory. The confusion about CZ comes from the Zastava Cragujevac logo ZC (Zastave Craguyevac = Red Banner) . Before the 1970s, CZ was imported under the BRNO name.

Interarms marked their rifles Manchester England because they used to bring barrelled actions into Manchester (a duty-free port) because labor was cheaper and import duties from England would be even lower. Interarms continued this until the 1980s.

IIRC, Parker Hale rifles were imported by Interarms as well, they were made by BSA. Early rifles were Mauser 98s, later they replaced the 98 with a proprietary action. Glossy finish, skip-line checkering to compare to Weatherby rifles. They were really a pretty crappy action.

i used a CZ 550 in Africa on five hunting trips and shooting most of the 61 animals I took from cape buffalo to dikker, I was impressed with the caiber and bought new CZ 550 and a reminton classic in 375 H&H. the CZ is a heavy rifle and the Remington is lighter.

It did refinish nicely though. It was a cheap way to finish my .25-06 off after the original stock I had broke. $100 plus a few hours of labor, it has some flaws but from a few feet it looks great. I'd love to tone down the pistol grip though, it's the one part of the stock I don't care for.

All Interarms Mauser actions were made in Yugoslavia at the Yugoslavian Craguyevac armory. The confusion about CZ comes from the Zastava Cragujevac logo ZC (Zastave Craguyevac = Red Banner) . Before the 1970s, CZ was imported under the BRNO name.

The Yugoslavian / Serbian CZ is not the same company as the Czechoslavian / Czech Republican CZ (Česká Zbrojovka). Thankfully, the Serbian company now goes by the name Zastava. The CZ associated with BRNO is the Czech company.

Interarms marked their rifles Manchester England because they used to bring barrelled actions into Manchester (a duty-free port) because labor was cheaper and import duties from England would be even lower. Interarms continued this until the 1980s.
The Whitworth rifles may have been stocked in England but as you note the barrelled actions came from Zastava in Yugoslavia.

IIRC, Parker Hale rifles were imported by Interarms as well, they were made by BSA. Early rifles were Mauser 98s, later they replaced the 98 with a proprietary action. Glossy finish, skip-line checkering to compare to Weatherby rifles. They were really a pretty crappy action.

Parker Hale didn't make rifles, they sold them. All kinds of things turn up with PH markings. I used to have a 30-06 with a Spanish Santa Barbara Mauser action that was sold by, of all people, J.C. Penney.

Oh, FWIW, I used to have a nice 375 Whitworth and sold it for $900. If the OP's gun is in decent condition, it's a bargain.

I was picking up my new savage 110 at the lgs today and just happened to notice an old military rifle on the consignment rack; I didn't really take much time looking at it since I had to wrap up my business (I wish I had taken a picture).

It was a Yugo 8mm rifle which was obviously an x-military rifle--it a had a sling slot which went all the way through the butstock and had serial numbers of some sort next to it going up vertically. The stock appeared to be a two piece arrangement split lengthwise from the forehand to the butt. It looked like a Mauser-type action--on top of the breech there are appeared to be what I think is the flag of Yuogoslavia. Sorry I didn't take a closer look--but this thread actually caused me to take a look at it.

Parker Hale didn't make rifles, they sold them. All kinds of things turn up with PH markings. I used to have a 30-06 with a Spanish Santa Barbara Mauser action that was sold by, of all people, J.C. Penney.

My first tool set was JC Penny. Same warranty as Sears, lower cost at the time. Still have most of em.

Hate to see both going away, lot of history and personnel connections there.

Back