Whitworth 375 H&H

kilotanker22

I remember recently Reading somewhere on this forum that someone was looking for a Whitworth Interarms mark x in 375 H&H........

Who was it?
I came across one today at a local shop. Date stamp is 10/86. Looks to be in pretty good shape.

If I buy that gun what would I do with it?
How expensive are bullets for the .375? Brass?

Looks like I better get on Midway. Lol, if he will take $400 I may buy it tomorrow.

I have zero need for a 375, but that is the one cartridge I'd be tempted to buy larger than 30 caliber. I can find no advantage that any of the 33's or 35's offer over comparable 30 caliber rifles. But the 375 shoots bullets big enough,and fast enough to tackle the really big stuff and be an honest upgrade over 30 caliber.

And with lighter bullets the trajectory is almost identical to 180gr/30-06 and not too much for smaller game.

RC20,
The cartridge, maybe. The commercially made Mauser action, not so much.
That and in the larger calibers the Whitworths are known to split the stock in the palm area.

If you want, i'll make you a deal on the barrel. :D

Myself, i'm thinking 7mm LRM.

Lol, if I buy it what's y'all's vote on caliber rebarreling to?

I was gonna send my current Mark x to Shaw to convert to 28 Nosler, but they won't go 28 Nosler on that action they said.

That and in the larger calibers the Whitworths are known to split the stock in the palm area.
True, but mainly in the early solid wood stocks. Some of the later stocks had a layer of wood laminated into the centerline for strength. And, of course, you can always add a cross bolt at the rear (magnums had a cross bolt in the front).

As i said before, 7mm LRM (Long Range Magnum).
Essentially it's the 375 Ruger necked down. Think 7mm PRC.
Gunwerks go with Hornady on the development. I'm not sure if Gunwerks is keeping it proprietary, as i'm sure Hornady would have released a version of the 7mm PRC if it were not.
Dies are available for it.

At $450 it's not desirable to me. $250, i'd be thinking about it.

I have sold off all my magnum big game rifles in last 4 yrs. The only one a regret selling was a Sako 375 H&H that I bought new in 1968. I kept my dies, brass and bullets and would buy another if chance came along. I originally bought it for Moose & Bear but liked it so well I loaded 235g bullets and used it on deer. $450 is cheap for a 375h&h if it was in driving distance I would look at it. Isn't Whitworth a InterArms 98 made in England?

I remember at the time they were popular that InterArms had the standard line of Yugo
98s, the Whitworths and Parker Hale 98s. Like 3 grades. I had several of the Yugo 98s, I
forget what they called them. Had common calibers and one in 7mm mg. I got them all on
trades and only shot them for grins but they were decent rifles for the money. I didn't realize they were all Yugo actions.

I have sold off all my magnum big game rifles in last 4 yrs. The only one a regret selling was a Sako 375 H&H that I bought new in 1968. I kept my dies, brass and bullets and would buy another if chance came along. I originally bought it for Moose & Bear but liked it so well I loaded 235g bullets and used it on deer. $450 is cheap for a 375h&h if it was in driving distance I would look at it. Isn't Whitworth a InterArms 98 made in England?

Oh lord, take me now, you sold a Sako 375 of 68 Vintage?????????????????

That puts you at the 7th level in Dantes Inferno.

I have zero use for a 375, I did get to shoot one. Right price and I would guy it simply because its iconic. If you only shot it a couple times a year...............

Like my dads old 06, my younger brother offered to replace the barell (horily eroded chamber) if we would agree to shoot it once in a while. Not a problem. Down to the range it goes 4 times a year.

Lighter sporter stock, lousy trigger and it shoot 1 1/4 inch groups all day long.

The Whitworth rifles featuring the Yugo made Mauser actions are very nice. I've had both .375 H&H and .458 Win. Mag. Sold the .375 to a friend (should have kept it). Still have the .458. Used it when I lived in Alaska for hunting moose while in bear country.

"...its a piece of history!..." Don't be silly. Interarms(not Whitworth Interarms. Whitworth is the model name.) stuff isn't collector stuff. There's one on Guns International at $1400. Seller is Griffith and Howe of New Jersey.
Ain't no bear in North America that requires a .458 to make go away.

Actually, you would be wrong yet again, T.O.
It would be an Interarms Whitworth Mark X.
Whitworth made them.
Interarms imported them.
Mark X is the model.

I had no need for a .458 Win Mag. But a Mark X showed up at a pawn shop close to where I work and for $300 it came home with me. Largest thing I can hunt here in Arizona is Elk and it is WAY more than I need. But need wasn't really the question at the time. It answered the 'COOL' question.

Back