Which would you prefer? Kimber 308 or Weatherby 7mm08?

I would always gravitate to the .308.

One of my PRIME considerations in ANY gun (rifle, handgun, shotgun) is
............availability of ammo.

I can vividly remember as a kid running out of 16 gauge shells during dove season. And that was in the days when 16's were the "holy grail" of dumb teenagers wanting a huntin' gun.

My son-in-law just bought a 300 Winchester Short Magnum.

I guess it's a fine gun, but I wouldn't want to be scouring small towns for a box of ammo.

I've never seen the advantage (other than in gun magazines) of cartridges that do anything a standard tried n true caliber won't handle.

If the choice involves 7mm-08, my answer is 7mm-08.:p

It’s my favorite all-around cartridge and more than adequate for any animal in the lower 48.

However, the actual difference in performance is academic. Issues like availability are virtually irrelevant. I can’t recall the last time I saw a shop that didn’t have 7mm-08.

You could pick based on which gun you think is prettier, or more concrete reasons like if you have a scope base that fits one or the other, or if you load for one and not the other, or just roll dice.

In actual effect, there is no wrong choice.

But the Weatherby (Howa) is one of the best push feed actions out there.

Are all Weatherbys made by Howa? I know the Vanguard series rifles are (or at least were, as I note the 2017 issue of the Gun Digest reports that the Vanguard II series rifles are now made in the U.S.A.) but the one pictured looks to be a Mark V (can't tell for sure from the photo).

Roy Weatherby once stated that the best round is somewhere between 6.5 and 7mm. The .308 is a pretty mild round that will shoot good distances accurately but runs out of energy pretty quick. The 7mm-08 is basically the same as a .308 but with a 7mm .284 bullet. There's slightly less recoil with the 7mm-08 and better BC's but both should be considered 250 yard ethical kill rifles. I don't own a 7mm-08 but I do have a .308 and have shot the 7mm-08. It's hard to tell the difference and my personal opinion is that the 7mm-08 is more marketing than anything else.

For me, the caliber and light weight rifle that I prefer is the .270 WSM. Converted it comes in at 7mm but .277 vs .284. BC is excellent and energy stays up there out to 400 yards easily. I happen to have a McMillan G30 Dynasty in .270 WSM which, in my head, is superior to the Weatherby and Kimber. I have owned and shot both and if you're looking for a status symbol at the campfire, very few know what a pre strategic arms McMillan is. The Kimber's are better known now but if you show up with a Weatherby you are looked upon as a great hunter. The hard part is living up to the reputation your rifle has.

Attachments

• mcresize.jpg
    mcresize.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back