Which would you prefer? Kimber 308 or Weatherby 7mm08?

Kimber 308

Weatherby 7mm08 Youth stock

[/IMG]

I do like the shorter LOP, the calibers are very similar, I hunt primarily in the south US for whitetail.. The Kimber is about 1 lb lighter, the Weatherby is a tad shorter...

I've had both, sold the Weatherby, still have the Kimber. But even the Kimber isn't my top pick for an all around rifle. I like it for hunting in rugged steep terrain where the lighter weight is an asset.

Performance wise, and recoil wise, there isn't enough difference between 7-08 and 308 to worry about. But 308 ammo is a lot cheaper and easier to find.

Splitting hairs ain't you boss ..... Them's two fine rifles and if I were gifted either one I would be mighty happy . If I had to purchase one ...it would be the Kimber.
And the only reason is... I like (what appears to be) the real wood stock . I'm not excited about Camo painted plastic...but don't get me wrong if you offered the Weatherby to me I would graciously accept it , I don't look gift rifles in the stock.
7mm-08 or 308 ...splitting hairs here if you reload. Slight edge to 308 if you rely on factory ammo.
Kimber has always made nice looking classic rifles with some beautiful walnut stocks.
You do know a too long stock can be shortened, it's an easy job that a Bubba like myself has had no trouble doing. Get the Kimber and have the stock trimmed to fit you and don't look back !
Gary

I hunt primarily in the south US for whitetail.. The Kimber is about 1 lb lighter, the Weatherby is a tad shorter

Are you actually hunting, as in chasing them, or sitting in a tree stand/blind. If the latter, then the extra pound is moot and might make shooting more comfortable from a recoil viewpoint.

Where is Weatherby having their rifles made nowadays?

For some reason, I never was fond of Kimber.

I have 4 Weatherby. They can be had in wood if that is your preference.

All are excellent shooters with proper loads.

The Kimber in the picture does not appear to be wood.

The Kimber has a synthetic stock, flat dark earth, they call it. I hunt alot from riding the country to a likely spot... then carry some. Also from tree stand too.

Margo%20statehouse%20mountain_zpsoft4qsfo.jpg

Which one do you shoot better? Neither rifle is going to be extremely heavy, so it would all boil down to which one I shot the best and had the most confidence in.

Commercial hunting rifles are all pretty much the same. The only difference between those 2 is the felt recoil. There's no actual 'like bullet' comparison, but a .308 will have slightly more.
You're going to pay a premium for either brand name. The Kimber weighs 5.5 pounds. Wouldn't want a 5.5 pound .308 myself. The 6.5 pounds of the Weatherby, at less money, wouldn't be much better. The horse would appreciate the weight difference though.

kimber

That's a Kimber Hunter.......right? Basically a scaled down, controlled feed bolt, ala Win 70 or Mauser 98. In an affordable stock to bring the price into the working man's range.

In my book, the Kimber is a semi-custom production rifle one can afford if you watch your pennies. You can buy a Weatherby at Walmart. I'd have the Kimber in near any caliber. Scoped, it might go 6.5 lbs, in .308 you'd notice if one shot it much. If it bothered me, , I'd load that rascal down a tad, and stay with a lighter premium slug if I had to to keep velocity acceptable, and I'd hunt it.

Pondering a deal on a Kimber Hunter myself, undecided on caliber.

Great pic by the way.

Thats a tough call. My top 2 hunting rifles are a Kimber and a Weatherby. If you really made me pick I guess the Kimber, because of weight. But they are both outstanding.

I much prefer the Mauser type extractor on the Kimber and the more classic lines of the stock.

But the Weatherby (Howa) is one of the best push feed actions out there. It just may be THE best.
The bolt stop is pivoted on a screw that is too small in my opinion, and sometimes they break and I have to replace them with a larger screw. But that's about the only repairs I ever have to make on the Weatherby's. They truly are about as good as you can make a push feed action. Best push-feed extractors, best bolt body and handles and good triggers. There are accurate and well made. I think they are as good or better than other push feed actions that cost more.

Might look into the Weatherby Camilla, Lady. Designed by and for, women shooters. Not just a 'standard' rifle cut down. As for the two, I've had both and sold the Kimber. I was tired of trying to 'fix' things to make it shoot. Sent it down the road to someone else.

I own a Weatherby S2 in 7-08 with a wood stock and it sure is a shooter with my own reloads, the main reason I went with Weatherby and I did look at a Kimber in 7-08 was the weight, I hunt down south from elevated stands and I like a bit heavier rifle for that reason, carrying is not a issue down there. Up here in NH where I do a bit of still hunting I carry my Model 7 Rem in 7-08.

Kimber vs Weatherby

I have a Kimber 8400 Hunter in 6.5 CM. I would love to love this rifle! But I think I have a cold bore situation. Still trying to work up a load. I have a great recipe now but my 1st round is always a flyer. I just don't feel comfortable in the field yet. I love my Weatherby.

Personally, Kimber if it were me. I run partial to 308 and am already outfitted for the round.

But nothing wrong with the other.

Back