Which would you pick for woods carry

P71pilot

I have done a ton of research on the capabilities and also handicaps of both of my options. Now I would like some CURRENT opinions of the members of this fine forum

I cannot afford a bigger more powerful handgun, and will not lug around a 7+ pound rifle 24/7 while hiking/camping

I have two handguns currently; a Walther PPQ .40 M2, and a Springfield 5" 1911 .45acp all steel. I will be carrying the Walther concealed when in the city/around people. The Walther is lighter, holds more ammo, and has a safer trigger than my 1911, also doesn't have a safety to manipulate which to me is a good thing.

Now I need to decide which one I would be better off carrying in the woods for animal defense in the Eastern part of North America. I live in Ohio, and camp/hike in Ohio as well as KY,TN,IN,PA etc. The biggest threat I could possibly run into would be a black bear. But the most likely attacker would be a hungry mountain lion or wild dogs, or humans I have personally seen multiple cougars here in Ohio and also Indiana where my dad lives, they are everywhere.

I know all about sectional density and bullet construction and that to really stop a threat you must paralyze the target which would be a brain or spinal injury.

My Walther holds 13+1, my 1911 holds 8+1. A .40" 180gr fmj has roughly the same sectional density of a .45" 230gr fmj, and a .40" 200gr lead bullet has roughly the same SD of a .45" 255gr lead bullet.

Walther .40 pros
-Lighter weight (easier on body to carry)
-Greater capacity (more shots available before reload)
-More comfortable grip (feels better in hand)
-200gr flat nosed lead bullets at about 900-1000fps should have good penetration and skull busting capabilities
-24oz unloaded
-striker fired simple operation, may possibly be more reliable

1911 .45 Pros
-Better sights (also night sights)
-Less recoil (faster follow up shots)
-Nicer trigger (lighter weight, straight back pull, cleaner break)
-Currently more accurate in users hands
-Bigger hole (not much bigger but still bigger)
-255gr flat nosed lead hardcast at about 800-950fps should punch deep and also bust through bone well
-39oz unloaded

Now assuming the same accuracy in my hands with both pistols, which would you pick? The Walther holds more and is lighter but recoils more and punches a smaller hole. The 1911 is heavier and holds less but is more powerful and currently has better sights

I will not be able to get something more powerful and also will not carry a long gun for these purposes. Will not carry pepper spray. If need be (in extreme undesirable circumstances) , pistol would also be used to gather food (deer, raccoon, possum, rabbit, etc..) But I do not plan on poaching or illegally hunting anything.

Which would you pick as a woods carry gun?
I am leaning toward the 1911 as I can always carry spare mags and I think I would rather have slightly more power, but I am a small guy (strong for size, roofer) so the extra weight may detract from my energy/stamina.

All opinions appreciated,
Thanks for your time

You're right that black bear are more likely to run away. Still, if that is the worst threat you'll face, how much difference would there really be between premium ammo in .40 and .45 acp? To put it another way, if each round has some relative maximum on what kind of animal they can drop in an emergency, how big is the gap between those values and how likely is it that a threat is going to neatly fall into it?

I don't know the answer to that question but I'm guessing that you can safely move on to the considerations of capacity, ease of carry, and skill in shooting between your two guns.

THe correct answer is to carry the .45ACP 1911 in the woods with some of that new CNC machined bullet ammunition that kinda looks like a big phillips screwdriver bit.

Yes the ammo is expensive BUT one box aint gonna break you and since you only have two guns your options aint much.

I'd carry the PPQ with an extra mag for two main reasons. #1 is 27 rounds vs 17 rounds (assuming you would have also carried a spare for the 1911). 10 rounds is a significant difference. #2 is you stated you will be carrying it as your primary CCW, which means you will have more hands on time with it than you will with your 1911. Familiarity is a good thing.

I really enjoy backpacking and have gone through quite a few open carry options trying to find one that fit me. I've got a small/medium frame (5'9, 170) and found that carrying something real heavy was a PITA.

Well shoot. I'm going to have to say 1911 but only because I'm a fan of them. I'm guessing you're set on a traditional single stack though? The ammo isn't too bad. I load G2R RIP in mine and if you buy it online it generally isn't tooooooo bad of a price but it will still cost you much more than traditional hollow points. For FMJ there are some great options out there that are affordable like Magtech. Anywho, for your pros and cons it seems like you could modify both of them to be similar i.e. drop in a different trigger, polish it, change the grips, change the sights, etc...

If choosing from those only, I would say go for the one that you shoot best/are most proficient with.

The two cartridges are not poles apart in performance so that is not a clear deciding factor. Furthermore, none of the threats listed will likely announce itself first, particularly in the 4-legged group, if they want to make you an exploitable resource so a gun that you can operate without much conscious thought seems the best choice.

Now if the answer is "I shoot both equally well", then I'd say go for the PPQ.

Polymer is lighter and less susceptible to moisture and it carries more shots. That makes it a better carry gun in the sticks. As I understand, the only thing it lacks is a safety, but if the trigger is covered when holstered, then this is probably also a non-issue.

a Walther PPQ .40 M2, and a Springfield 5" 1911 .45acp all steel.

Walther .40 pros
-Lighter weight (easier on body to carry)
-Greater capacity (more shots available before reload)
-More comfortable grip (feels better in hand)
-200gr flat nosed lead bullets at about 900-1000fps should have good penetration and skull busting capabilities
-24oz unloaded
-striker fired simple operation, may possibly be more reliable

1911 .45 Pros
-Better sights (also night sights)
-Less recoil (faster follow up shots)
-Nicer trigger (lighter weight, straight back pull, cleaner break)
-Currently more accurate in users hands
-Bigger hole (not much bigger but still bigger)
-255gr flat nosed lead hardcast at about 800-950fps should punch deep and also bust through bone well
-39oz unloaded

To my mind, the two are pretty darn close. Which do you shoot better?

I would chose the 1911A1, but that's because I have decades of familiarity with the 1911A1.

There are two kinds of threats you can meet in the woods, those with 4 legs and those with two. You are less likely to meet the two legged kind out in the middle of nowhere, BUT if you do, they are more likely to be dangerous.

The four legged ones? People think bears, but that isn't all, and a rabid skunk, raccoon, or porcupine is not a trivial concern, if you are attacked, AND you do not manage to kill the critter WITH THE BRAIN INTACT, (so it can be examined and proven rabid or not) then you WILL be getting the full rabies shot treatment. Beware of any wild mammal that seems docile and stupidly friendly. That is one of the other symptoms of rabies. Not all the infected get the mad dog foaming at the mouth classic symptoms.

Bears? Your best defense is your eyes, ears, and brain. Don't be an attractive food source, or a threat to cubs, or their kill. Shooting the bear is only reasonable when you are trapped, and if you are trapped, you did something else wrong first. Nothing except a family member is worth a stand your ground confrontation with a bear. Not your food, not your tent, nothing. Give ground, avoid, I'd say run away, but don't run, except as a very last resort, running makes you look yummy to a predator. Especially cats.

Using a service style /CCW class pistol for small game, for survival food, if it comes to that?? ok, better be good at head shots, on very small, quickly moving heads. Better would be to learn how to make and set snares. Way more "cost effective".

Either gun wills serve well if used prudently. Despite the fact that I'm a 1911 guy, considering the odds you will actually NEED it, the lighter gun, makes a lot more sense for 24/7 wear.

As of this moment I shoot the 1911 better but am gaining accuracy quickly with the PPQ. At this rate I will shoot both just as good maybe the PPQ better. At 5 yds groups sizes are about the same. Now go to 15-75yds and I am better with the 1911. But haven't shot the PPQ past 15yds yet. Wasn't that great at 15yds but am working on flinching problem I have with PPQ and also trigger control

Surprised you have ruled out spray. A 9 ounce can of bear spray weighs little and is supposed to perform very well on bears, driving them off without wounding, and thus enraging them.

I used to haul a big .44 Mag in bear country. Bear spray much easier. As for the pistol, I vote the PPQ for capacity and not having to flick a safety under pressure. Also nearly a pound lighter....

Weight vs Caliber?T

Tough call!Actually for the uses listed either would seem to be "enough gun"and neither would be completely wrong.When younger I too enjoyed all day hiking but became very aware of any extra weight.Based on actual experience I would choose the Walther solely due to being much lighter.

I'd go with the PPQ for light weight high capacity and for the fact that I'd rather ding up (Mud, Rain, Sweat, etc.) a dime a dozen plastic gun over a nice 1911.

Back