Which would you choose?

My Glock 19 would serve as a perfect choice. Small enough to conceal yet large enough to fight well with against man or beast.

Have killed both hog and dog with the 9mm. The dog was rabid or distempered and went nuts on us. One round behind the ear as it went for my friend and it was done. The hog was an 80 pounder that I was putting out of its suffering after having blasted it with buckshot. The winchester silvertip went almost completely through its head leaving a lump on the opposite side.

I know folks say that 9mm isn't enough but we have killed some big hogs with buckshot. I mean 300 pounders. The ballistics of the 9mm vs a single buckshot pellet isn't even close. So we know for sure that the 9mm like the buckshot pellet, can reach the vitals. Multiples might be needed but who would expect otherwise with any concealable handgun caliber?

Small SP101 sounds about perfect. I'd choose to load it with Federal Vital Shock Core Cast hardened-lead ammo -- to stop what you shoot.

I do like the Shield (my nightstand gun is a MP9c) but I'm not a fan of the safety on the Shield (not a fan of the one on the LC9 either).

I didn't like it on mine at first either but now I don't even know that it's there. Just don't use it and you will forget about it. I do glance at it occasionally just to satisfy myself that it hasn't "mysteriously" moved to the on position but it never has.

Hey Todd,

First of all, sounds like a really cool job! I don't think you could go wrong with any of the suggestions made so far. When I read your comment about dirt and grime being a factor, I immediately thought Glock.

I have a G36 which I bought because I wanted something that wasn't going to weigh me down on the hiking trails etc...I was a bit skeptical at first, but for me it's been a real pleasure to carry. If capacity is a concern, you could certainly go with a different model, like the G30SF or even a 9mm. I carry mine in a Galco King Tuk, and it's very comfortable, of course YMMV. While I do not own one personally, I have heard mostly great things about the Crossbreed line of holsters as well. Comfort was a major factor for me.

Lastly, and someone may have mentioned this already, a good gun belt is a must. I use belts from Wilderness tactical and The Belt Man and both have lived up to their reputations.

Good Luck,

Bobby

I'd say a Smith and Wesson 1917 revolver with a Browning Hi Power as a back-up. If it worked for Dr. Jones against headhunters, Nazis, and a big guy with a big sword, it should work for you. :D

Seriously, if you look at the Wilderness Safepacker holster line, you can conceal a larger gun (and protect it from a lot of the dirt and stuff) and expand your options.

Back