Which would you buy?

Two different worlds

Hope all works out for you with your Uberti revolver. Under new company ownership old time problems may be history. Your new gun looks great.

Added: The Uberti is for those who like the authentic style Colt revolver. The Ruger is modern and built like a tank. That gun, to me, is for the modern shooter who wants a traditional looking but high pressure handgun. The SAA clones probably have the shortcomings of the originals. The Vaquero's have shortcomings of Ruger's. Two different worlds. Pick one or both.

Last edited:
Hope all works out for you with your Uberti revolver. Under new company ownership old time problems may be history. Your new gun looks great.

Added: The Uberti is for those who like the authentic style Colt revolver. The Ruger is modern and built like a tank. That gun, to me, is for the modern shooter who wants a traditional looking but high pressure handgun. The SAA clones probably have the shortcomings of the originals. The Vaquero's have shortcomings of Ruger's. Two different worlds. Pick one or both.
Why it's great one of my son's has a S&W 686/7..get to shoot that as well. Now, as of yesterday other son, birthday present from me, has a Uberti 1873 in 45LC..get to shoot that now too...

I'm glad you settled on what makes you happy, and a good gun is a great gift. Uberti has a good reputation, I'm sure he'll be happy.

I need to respond to this, for the benefit of everyone reading the thread,

The Ruger is modern and built like a tank. That gun, to me, is for the modern shooter who wants a traditional looking but high pressure handgun.

This was correctly stated, as an opinion. It's a valid opinion. And, while "everybody knows" about Ruger strength, Ruger has NEVER stated their guns are safe for anything above SAAMI specs.

Ruger has never, and will not approve "ruger only loads" or anything outside of SAAMI spec commercially produced ammunition. And, they are on totally solid legal ground doing so. So long as it is understood that "Ruger will take anything" is someone's personal opinion, and not RUGER's opinion, we're good.

The point here is simple. IF you go "off the map" and dragons eat you, you cannot blame Ruger.

Opinion: Hot rodding a Vaquero would make for the most uncomfortable handgun in current production. The gun is great but it would be the very last I'd go to for +P level loads. You will figure why the Super Blackhawk has a different trigger guard fast. The standard loads are fine for me. There's a perfectly good Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum here for the heavier stuff. The Vaquero is made like that tank but it's a matter of ergonomics for me.

Added: Aftermarket grips for the Blackhawk are no problem. It's not so easy for Vaquero Blackhawk.

Last edited:
Back