Which would you buy?

USNRet93

And why..Looking to get a 'cowboy' gun for myself.
45LC
Choices are a NEW Uberti Cattleman or used Ruger Vaquero..
Don't mind the firing pin vs transfer bar..

Last edited:
Tough choice and can't go wrong either way. Cattleman is more traditional. Vaquero probably a little more durable.

For me the Ruger as long as condition was good.

Both are quality firearms with good reviews. Comes down to which do you want. What we would buy between the two is really irrelevant.

If you're looking at the Uberti lineup, another great option could be the Remington 1890 or 1875. I have one of each and they both came out of the box feeling like the Colt clones did AFTER they had action jobs.

If you want to handload some hot loads, get an older Vaquero, as it is a stronger gun. If you want to stay with standard pressure loads, the New Vaquero is plenty strong enough and in some ways, it's an improved model. If you decide to go with a 357 magnum instead of a 45, then I would recommend the New Vaquero. If you want to be fully authentic, and price is no object, get a Colt made before WWII. If you are going to shoot the living daylights out of it, I can say that I have probably shot over 10,000 rounds through my Vaquero 45 and none of them have been low-powered, target loads.

I faced the same decision a couple years ago. I ended up going with the Vaquero mainly because I felt it may hold up better in the long run. I am totally happy with it, but I may have been totally happy with the Uberti if I had gone that route!

If you want to handload some hot loads, get an older Vaquero, as it is a stronger gun. If you want to stay with standard pressure loads, the New Vaquero is plenty strong enough and in some ways, it's an improved model.
Actually the New Vaquero is good to 23K pressure loads (Tier 2), so not 'just' for Tier 1 loads. Just an FYI :) . Tier 3 (30k Ruger Only Loads) is reserved for the original Vaquero and large frame BHs as stated. I personally like the New Vaquero better as not into 'hot' loads. Plenty strong for any load that I ever will want to shoot in .45 Colt revolver.

I just purchased a .44 Special Uberti Cattleman a couple months ago and was a bit disappointed. 'All' (yes all) the screws would work loose after a few rounds (say 30-50). Shot straight though. Trigger pull was heavy and long (action job would obviously help alot) . Just an FYI. My original Vaquero and New Vaqueros screws stay put.

I was poisoned by problems with Italian Single actions back in the day. As we speak, I own three old Ruger Vaquero's. I know from experience that those guns are built like tanks. If I wanted something to shoot it would always be the Ruger. I do not shoot maximum loads in the Vaquero's. If I want to load max I go with my SBH or Blackhawk Bisley in 45 Colt.

It's nothing against the new Vaquero or the Italian gun. I don't know anything about them. I'm not up to taking a risk. I have shot many, many rounds in the old Vaquero's. Got my carry license with a 45 Colt caliber old Vaquero.

Last edited:
HA, answering my own question...shot a Cattleman and handled a Ruger and the 'snappy-ness' of the 45LC made my wrist and thumb scream(thanks USN docs)..THEN handled a 38/357 Uberti Bird's Head and bingo...

Now to find about $500...

Good choice... I wasn't going to say this but, single action Rugers are a nightmare to work on. The disassemble-reassemble procedure is very tricky. Also, for the older, 44 magnum sized Vaqueros, (2 digit Serial nbr. prefix) the cylinder must be visually lined up with the gate for loading, unloading. A real pain in the butt. Ruger managed to build a modern Colt replica that was more difficult to operate and work on. Oh yeah, you can load all 6 chambers of the Ruger safely. Not a favorable trade off to me.

Unless for SASS or NCOWS, I would get a Blackhawk for the adjustable sights.
Since you are now looking smallbore, a Ruger Flattop would fit right in.

Since it will now be a 38/357, then I highly recommend the Ruger New Vaquero, or, 2nd choice, the flat-top, Blackhawk. Bird's-head grips are for the birds. Just get the regular grips. The only question worth pondering over is which barrel length to choose.

Complicated Rugers

Ruger complications?:The only place on a Ruger SA where you need three hands is putting the main spring assemble back together. The rest of the re-assembly is in the instructions or on the net.

I want something that will last the ages. I have seen too many Italian single actions with broken parts with no replacements easily found. I'll own this is a bias from long ago. I do not want to take a risk on the foreign gun with years of experience with Ruger's. What's the point.

Since it will now be a 38/357, then I highly recommend the Ruger New Vaquero, or, 2nd choice, the flat-top, Blackhawk. Bird's-head grips are for the birds. Just get the regular grips. The only question worth pondering over is which barrel length to choose.
Handled the BirdsHead and disagree..feels REALLY good in 'my' hand. This is a range toy, along with son's own Uberti Cattleman in 45LC, another son's S&W 686.
I'm liking the 3.5inch barrel..good enough for Doc Holiday, good enough for me..:)

Attachments

• KilmerTombstone2.jpg
    KilmerTombstone2.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 34
Handled the BirdsHead and disagree..feels REALLY good in 'my' hand. This is a range toy, along with son's own Uberti Cattleman in 45LC, another son's S&W 686.
I'm liking the 3.5inch barrel..good enough for Doc Holiday, good enough for me..:)

This is why I posted what I did in my first post......

Both are quality firearms with good reviews. Comes down to which do you want. What we would buy between the two is really irrelevant.

....your monies, your gun, your taste....you pick. So many folks in a desire to verify and justify their choices want everyone to own what they do. That's why these type of threads have so many "get what I have" responses. You're obviously looking for a "fun" gun, so get what appears to be the most fun for you. That's what makes it "your" gun, not just the fact you paid for it.

Back