Which way does the cylinder turn?

Howdy Again

Here is a Smith and Wesson New Model Number Three, made in 1882. The side plate has been removed, as well as the hammer. You can see the hand pinned to the hammer.

Disassembly%20New%20Model%20Number%20Three_zpsljl9tmeq.jpg

A closer view of the lockwork of the NM#3. The hand is pushed forward by its spring to engage the cylinder. It pushes the cylinder around clockwise, the opposite of modern Smith and Wesson revolvers.

hammeratrest.jpg

All the Smith and Wesson Top Break revolvers were built that way with one exception. The 38 Double Action Perfected model. This was the last Top Break revolver S&W introduced, it was made from 1909 until 1920. Already into the modern 'Hand Ejector' era. (revolvers that broke open by swinging the cylinder out to the side) Just like all modern S&Ws, the side plate was on the right side.

Perfected%2002_zps1tvprjxn.jpg

The Perfected model was unique in that one had to push the thumb latch on the left side of the frame forward while at the same time pulling the Top Break latch up to break it open. There are various reasons given for this, but that is a discussion for another time.

Perfected%2001_zpsyvv7dtf4.jpg

The mechanism of the Perfected model shared many parts of the 32 caliber Hand Ejectors, and the hand was on the right side, rotating the cylinder counter clockwise when viewed from the rear, the same as modern Smiths.

hammer%20down_zps6opzolbd.jpg

Hi, Driftwood,

I well remember Colt salesmen arguing fervently that the Colt was better for the reasons you mention; you correctly call it "baloney", but some folks still believe it and similar Colt legends. A still-common one is that the Colt hand pushes the cylinder firmly into the frame, locking it tightly for perfect alignment even if the parts are worn. True enough, but if parts are worn badly enough, the same design can force the cylinder past the ideal point and out of alignment.

In fact, there is no "right" or "wrong" direction of rotation; the designer chooses the direction based on the overall goal and the position of other parts.

Jim

Juat to add to the confusion, we also have the chiappa Rhino. The fact that it shoots from the bottom of the cylinder changes things. This even confused Hickok45. :):)

ifithitu wrote:

"My J-frames, S&W M&P BG turns clock and my S&W 442-2,638-3 turns counter clock."

Can you confirm that? The only modern S&W revolver I know of that has a clockwise cylinder rotation is that "vapor ware" gun that got some publicity a year or so ago and (AFAIK) hasn't been heard of since. (What did happen to it, BTW?)

Jim

My J-frames, S&W M&P BG turns clock and my S&W 442-2,638-3 turns counter clock.

First of all, are we agreed we are looking at these revolvers from the rear when we observe which way the cylinder revolves?

Smith and Wesson side swing revolvers have the side plate on the right side.

J Frame

Model%2036%20Flat%20Latch%201961%2004_zpslr7jbdo5.jpg

K Frame

model14-301_zps7d629ba9.jpg

L Frame

model%20686-6%20grip%2002_zpshxallncm.jpg

N Frame

Triple%20Lock%2002_zpseasdkgzq.jpg

Even the tiny M frame Ladysmith.

Ladysmith%20in%20Hand_zpsdtyyibbp.jpg

I am not an expert with the X frames, I wouldn't own one, but I can see on the S&W website that their side plates are on the right side too.

With the side plate on the right side, that means the hand is to the right of center. And it will push the cylinder around counter clockwise when viewed from the rear.

Back