Which type of holster for training?

I usually like to use whatever holster I plan to carry the gun in.

For my Makarov PM, it's my IWB holster as it is my carry gun. For my open carry gun, a Webley Mk IV, I use an OWB holster.

You run what ya brung and we train like we fight. And remember, one is none and two is one. And "the gun is the least of it".

Ranger rich, please reconsider. There are many things that can get inside a trigger guard, even through material like denim. With unholstered pants carry, every time you bump or brush something, you are risking a discharge.

...unless you meant the m-134, in which case, carry on! ;)

Post #7 by Pax is worth reading and re-reading, to continue absorbing all the good points often glossed over by beginners (and even less experienced instructors, for that matter).

Ranger rich, please reconsider. There are many things that can get inside a trigger guard, even through material like denim. With unholstered pants carry, every time you bump or brush something, you are risking a discharge.

...unless you meant the m-134, in which case, carry on!

Yah, that's what I meant. Just thought the idea of that terminator gun stuffed in the back of my pants was a funny visual.

Oh, and I received my Uplula Wed. and tried it out yesterday. Verra verra nice. Can't believe I went this long without owning one. Makes both the Shield mags and the 1911 9mm mags a breeze; my thumbs thank you, JohnKSa.

Glad it worked for you. At first glance they seem like another cheesy gadget designed primarily to take your money, but buying one is a pleasant surprise. They are sturdy, well made, and they work very, very well.

Quick update: got a reply from the instructor. According to him and Frontsight, I can use my Shield and an IWB holster. However, they have a list of holsters that they allow, and during some of the stages I will need seven 8-round mags for my Shield to shoot the stage. Also, I'll be wearing that holster for 8 hours a day. With those things in mind, I'm considering using a high capacity sidearm and an OWB holster. Still on the fence about that, and I have five months to mull it over.

Finally, thanks again to everyone who responded to this thread.

What Bill West says is right, but the shooting classes I have attended tend to encourage competition-style holsters so students can "keep-up".

Back