Which Ruger .22 to get: Ruger SR22 or LCRx .22?

Out of curiosity, does it have to be a Ruger? I liked my SR22 but it never felt like anything special.

I recently found a S&W 422 at my LGS. A more unique target pistol than the Ruger Mk series or the S&W Victory. It's a lightweight allow frame, 23.5oz according to Wiki.

I looked at a Ruger 10 shot double action, don't remember number, at Cabelas.they had speed loaders for it. It didn't look like the photo in one of the first posts.
It was nicely polished and tight lock up and no end movement of the cylinder, hammer down or cocked. Didn't believe it was a Ruger at first.

Out of curiosity, does it have to be a Ruger? I liked my SR22 but it never felt like anything special.

I recently found a S&W 422 at my LGS. A more unique target pistol than the Ruger Mk series or the S&W Victory. It's a lightweight allow frame, 23.5oz according to Wiki.
More or less, yeah, it might as well be a Ruger.

There are no other .22 revolvers that I'm interested in besides the LCRx. I have had a passive interest in the Charter Arms .22, but I don't like .22 revolvers that only hold 6 rounds.

For pistols, I do like the S&W Victory, but it's like the Mark pistols and I'm not looking to own a big, heavy .22 pistol. The only lightweight .22 pistol that's caught my eye is the Sr22 and the Walther P22.

Smith makes a nice double action .22, however it is not convertible however, I believe.
As far as pistols the Ruger MkIII, stainless Target model, with 30m red dot sight is a favorite of mine, and you can buy a holster to accomodate it.
I have a made in the 200th year of American Liberty Ruger .22 pistol also with target grips and sights and trigger but all the parts to put it back to original.
Only problem is Bill Ruger's idea of limiting the ability to change magazines. He was absolutely opposed to more than ten rounds and nine was the original magazine.
The new models with last shot hold open are still hampered by the old release the magazine at the bottom which is sometimes hard on my older Ruger. My target model, I sit on swing on back porch and cut down weeds and little sapplings at the woods edge with it.

More or less, yeah, it might as well be a Ruger.

There are no other .22 revolvers that I'm interested in besides the LCRx. I have had a passive interest in the Charter Arms .22, but I don't like .22 revolvers that only hold 6 rounds.

For pistols, I do like the S&W Victory, but it's like the Mark pistols and I'm not looking to own a big, heavy .22 pistol. The only lightweight .22 pistol that's caught my eye is the Sr22 and the Walther P22.
Was worth asking! :) The weight was why I brought up the 422 I found. 6" barrel and about 7oz heavier than a SR22 but to me it few better built.

I never had any issues with my SR22. It was the first pistol I bought. I kept it around 18 months or so, but never really bonded with it. It functioned flawlessly. The DA trigger was heavier than I would have liked but not unusable. I'd just prefer to have a .22 as SAO. Functioned perfectly but rattled if you shook it from side to side, didn't much care for that but it didn't seem to cause any issues with it.

I've given it some thought and I think given that I'm going to be moving to a suppressor friendly state within the next year (Indiana) I think I'm going to get the SR22 with the threaded barrel.

I haven't read through the whole thread, so this may have been addressed already, but it's worth saying anyway.

For me it would depend on the purpose for the gun.

Range toy - I'd go for the SR22. Higher capacity is my main reason.

Side arm (for me that would mean it is loaded with snake shot while hunting) - LCRx. If you are going to trust rimfires for anything beyond range use, a revolver is the safer option, since dud rounds can just be passed by instead of having to clear them.

A few people have mentioned snake shot in this .22 revolver... If I'm going to carry a revolver and load it with shot, it's not gonna be a .22 gentleman.

The skipping a misfire or dud in a chamber is more important to me. If the SR22 reliably fires all rounds in a magazine, that's great, but if it doesn't I'd rather have the revolver.

The one thing the LCRx doesn't have that the SR22 does is the ability to be suppressed and 15 rd magazines.

I have the Ruger LCRx .38spl +P. and like it very much. DA trigger is a little heavy, SA trigger is very nice. Exc sight adjustment. The pistol is very light so the recoil is a bit heavy, but it is not a pushback recoil, but a lift recoil. Only complaint is 5 rounds. I personally would not use as a ccw, just a tad too big for me.

Last edited:
I've given it some thought and I think given that I'm going to be moving to a suppressor friendly state within the next year (Indiana) I think I'm going to get the SR22 with the threaded barrel.
Indiana is quite friendly when it comes to firearms. The exception being that we aren't constitutional carry yet, keeps get stuck in committee. Luckily, we do have lifetime licenses and they aren't hard to get.

My SR22 ran without issue for the year I had it. I don't recall it having any FTFs or FTEs. It ate ammo almost as efficiently as my Henry does. If it had been assembled as tightly as the Walther that came next I would have kept it, but it was on the loose side and it bothered me. No idea if that's a common trait of the SR22s or if it was just mine.

I'd go with the SR22...mine is stupid reliable & accurate.

I am proud to have it in my collection of older & some new .22's.

2layczn.jpg

Or get a Mark III of those traded in by shooters who cant seem to dis/assemble them. Dont let all the hype bother you. All one has to do is follow instructions and the Mark III is nothing.

Should be some deals on trade-ins, besides.

Picked up the SR22 today and shot almost 100 rounds through it. No issues with proper ammo, went bang every time. I did try some CCI Quiet and .22 Shorts in the gun, they'd throw the slide back a bit, eject the round, but not far enough back that it would pick up another one.

Totally fine, those aren't meant to work in semi autos.

First shots were going high and right at 10 yards... the sights were ridiculously off out of box. Made the adjustments and after that accuracy was unbelievable with Velocitors. Stingers went all over the place. Aguila SSS grouped better than any other .22 I've shot them in.

The SR22 is more accurate than it has a right to be.

What I'd like to see Ruger do is come out with a model that has a threaded barrel for the 4.5 inch barrel and longer slide.

I think one of the improvements Ruger could make is a lot more texture on the grips. I know it's only a .22, but it's tragic the lack of texture on the SR22.

I can't wait to put a can on this gun. Since I left the range, I do not think I made a bad choice choosing the SR22 over the LCRx.

Good to hear.

Now you can be yet another person that can confidently say "yes, some .22's definitely DO have an ammo preference."

As for getting a suppressor (oh, go ahead and call it a silencer...see what I care) hopefully the law will change...

For the life of me I cannot see why an anti-gun person would have a problem with me putting something on my gun that makes it harder to conceal and more awkward to handle. I've tried them at the range and it quiets the gun down a lot but it's still a gun shot. I have high hopes that the law will change.

P.S. And of course you already KNOW that you won't be able to make an informed judgment on your decision until you own an LCRx too.

Literally every review both written and video that I had read or watched said the same thing in no uncertain terms: the .22 LCRx is so lightweight it is extremely difficult to hold on a target at a longer distance. 7 yards was no problem, but further than 15 and accuracy and shooting issues arose.

If that many were saying the same thing, it must be true and I doubt I will be bothering with a .22 LCRx anytime soon.

I prefer slightly heavier .22LR's when it comes to target shooting; I'm sort of partial to the S&W Victory... However, I do like my Ruger 22/45's, the Ruger Hunters, the SR22's, the P22's(don't.. Dang polymer sights.. ).. The S&W compact in .22LR.. Even an LRX.

I go to the range; I see people shooting 9's, 45's, .40's,etc, at 5 to 7 yards all over the place.. I can sit there with the S&W Victory, or even the 22/45's and hit soda cans at closer to 20 or so. I would not call the LRX as having bad accuracy; most revolvers have rather good accuracy considering.. In single action, I can shoot better with the LRX at 10 to 20 yards than most folks do with their 9's at 5 yards. Besides; the better .22LR pistols are so good that it gets boring to a degree.. The LRX, a bit more of a challenge; but still, I like revolvers; the main reason I bought it was my lack of a revolver in .22LR... Even started to get used to the trigger..

I bought the .22LR LRX for the fun aspect; I don't regret it yet.. It would be nice to get a Fiber optic front sight for it though.

Picked up the SR22 today and shot almost 100 rounds through it. No issues with proper ammo, went bang every time. I did try some CCI Quiet and .22 Shorts in the gun, they'd throw the slide back a bit, eject the round, but not far enough back that it would pick up another one.

Totally fine, those aren't meant to work in semi autos.

First shots were going high and right at 10 yards... the sights were ridiculously off out of box. Made the adjustments and after that accuracy was unbelievable with Velocitors. Stingers went all over the place. Aguila SSS grouped better than any other .22 I've shot them in.

The SR22 is more accurate than it has a right to be.

What I'd like to see Ruger do is come out with a model that has a threaded barrel for the 4.5 inch barrel and longer slide.

I think one of the improvements Ruger could make is a lot more texture on the grips. I know it's only a .22, but it's tragic the lack of texture on the SR22.

I can't wait to put a can on this gun. Since I left the range, I do not think I made a bad choice choosing the SR22 over the LCRx.
I knew you would like it, you made the right choice! The SR-22 is a very underrated .22LR pistol.

Or get a Mark III of those traded in by shooters who cant seem to dis/assemble them. Dont let all the hype bother you. All one has to do is follow instructions and the Mark III is nothing.

Should be some deals on trade-ins, besides.
Youtube is a god send here. Last 2 times I've assembled my mkIII 22/45 that back strap lever has gotten jammed. I think the problem is that I didn't clean it for 3 months. Never had an ftf or fte with some old remington golds I still have from years ago. Man kids chew through 22lr like its nothing.

Hey, I originally didn't want a Ruger Mark pistol because of how large and heavy they were. Then, when I was shooting the SR22, I realized how fun it was shooting it and how accurate it was.

But, I did long for a longer sight radius and I'm thinking in the future, I can see myself buying a bull barrel Ruger Mark.

Back