Which Ruger .22 to get: Ruger SR22 or LCRx .22?

TruthTellers

I have a birthday coming up and I'm trying to decide whether to get a Ruger SR22 with threaded barrel or the new Ruger LCRx .22 revolver.

Originally, I had my heart set on the LCRx .22 and had been waiting over a year for the gun to finally exist, but lately, I've been thinking about the SR22. I like that the revolver can shoot .22 Short, but I like that the pistol can have mag extension attached to up the capacity to 15 rounds and that I can put a suppressor or other device on the barrel.

And, this is a big one, I think the trigger on the SR22 will be far better than the trigger on the LCRx, both for DA and SA.

I'd like to handle the LCRx to try it and see, but no lgs near me has it stocked. I've handled the SR22 and am amazed at how small and light it is.

I picked up the M&P 22 Compact suppressor ready for plinking, and it's been a great little gun. In probably the 3k rounds that I've run through it, it's had maybe a handful of stoppages. I've run all sorts of ammo through it and it just eats it all up. From Thunderbolt, to Remington golden tip hollow points, the CCI, to whatever, it just runs it without issue. Only gripe I have with it is I can't get the collar for the suppressor off of it, so I haven't been able to break it down and really clean it. I just lube it and go.

That said, when I was looking for a plinker I also looked at a couple of other pistols, the Walther PPQ22, and the Beretta 92-22 (or whatever it's called). The Beretta is the most expensive out of the bunch, however, it's built exactly like a 92FS, even holds 15 rounds. The PPQ 22 is just like the 9mm version in size and weight, yet shoots 22lr.
All three of these guns, from most reviews that I've read, and from experience, just run and run well.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably get the Walther. If money was no object, I'd get the Beretta. But part of my criteria was it needed to be $300 or less.

For my two cents, which is probably worth a penny and a half, I'd go with the LCRx. Only if, or until we get the Hearing Protection Act passed, the threaded barrel of the SR22 just allows the use of an overly expensive, and over regulated toy. Unless of course you are a double naught spy hit man.
The LCRx is a really cool little revolver. Unless you have some physical incapacity, don't put to much emphasis on "trigger pull". Just shoot it, learn it, and you will get used to it.

I just traded my MKIII 22/45 for this GP100 .22
afUXC00.jpg

For my two cents, which is probably worth a penny and a half, I'd go with the LCRx. Only if, or until we get the Hearing Protection Act passed, the threaded barrel of the SR22 just allows the use of an overly expensive, and over regulated toy. Unless of course you are a double naught spy hit man.
Where I live now, state law forbids any and all private ownership of NFA regulated items, including suppressors. Even if the HPA passed, I don't think it overrules individual states, so HPA or no is irrelevant.

I don't plan to stay, do plan to leave for greener cornfields, but if God damns me and the window of opportunity never presents itself, my machinist skills and what the ATF and local law enforcement doesn't know, won't hurt them. :D

You already know my opinion.
Yes and I agree. I don't much care for the SP101 triggers, let alone how heavy them must be for rimfire, nor do I care for the weight of one just for .22.

GP100 is similar, but all I hear about that revolver is the trigger isn't too bad. But I'm not looking for a boat anchor of a .22.

I've got both the SR22 and the regular LCR. I enjoy both but the SR22 makes it to the range far more often. It is one of my favorites now due to it's ease of use and features, among them the sights and ease of loading. Which ever way you decide though, you'll have a very fun and enjoyable gun.

Happy Birthday.

They also make the SR22 in a longer barrel/slide configuration. Better sight radius and a slight increase to velocity. My wife has the SR22(two tone) and it eats all ammo.

I have an SR 22 and will have to say it's not what I was looking for in the "plinker" category. It's a neat little pistol that's easy to carry and that's about the end of the story. Maybe the mechanical accuracy is there but it's difficult to put on paper.

For the SR22, if I were to get the threaded barrel model, would it be less accurate than the unthreaded barrel model when shooting it without a suppressor or compensator?

Basically, does having a threaded barrel make a handgun less accurate?

I have an SR22 with the Twin Tech Tactical threaded barrel, and the 15 round extensions. I also have the original LCR-22. Since I don't have the 3" LCRx I cant make a direct comparison, but I will give some thoughts.

First, to answer TruthTellers question... No. A threaded barrel does not affect accuracy.

I have never been thrilled with my SR22. Mine is one of the early ones with PISTOL on the slide. With its factory barrel, it was never very accurate. Its better with the TTT barrel, but no where even close to a Buckmark, or Ruger Mark pistol. It will barely put all shots on an 8" paper plate at 25 yards. I can get 2-3" groups with my Mark pistols at that range with open sights, so its not the shooter. The Double Action first shot trigger pull is horrendous. Its also not 100% reliable like everyone elses supposedly are. It will short stroke lots of times and end up with an empty chamber.

The extensions are ok, but have drawbacks. You lose the last shot hold open, AND the button on the side of the mag to draw down the follower to ease in loading the mag. The SR22 doesn't have a brute strength spring, but the button sure used to help with loading. Without it, its a little difficult when you are getting to full capacity. I did find that the small Uplula(the one for 380 and smaller) works well with the SR22 15 round modded magazine.

I bought the LCR-22 for my wife. She likes it. The sights are hard for her to see, so I added a Crimson Trace to it, and she is very accurate with it. It has a heavy DAO trigger, but it shoots well. IF the 3" LCRx 22 was available when I bought the 2" LCR-22 I would have bought the 3" because of the SA ability.

If I was the OP, and choosing between the two he is considering, I would get the LCRx. It will have a better SA trigger, and have the ability to shoot ANY Long Rifle ammo, including shot shells.

If you really want a great .22 pistol, shop around for a nice older Ruger MK II 5" bull barrel target model. Sweetest shooter you'll ever find and well worth waiting for. Just a thought, I did have an SR22 and it was a lot of fun, I traded it away in a moment of stupidity.

I looked at both of those and ended up with an SP101 in .22lr

Fun little plinker.
Same here. I'm a big fan of .22LR revolvers; don't have to worry about certain loads not cycling the action. I also shoot them better, especially at range, due to the more or less non-existent recoil.

Whatever you roll with make sure you buy a variety of ammo to test out (both by manufacturer and load). I've found that .22 pistols are more finicky with ammo when it comes to accuracy than centerfire handguns. My SP101 likes Federal Auto-Match and, to a lesser extent, CCI SV.

If you really want a great .22 pistol, shop around for a nice older Ruger MK II 5" bull barrel target model. Sweetest shooter you'll ever find and well worth waiting for. Just a thought, I did have an SR22 and it was a lot of fun, I traded it away in a moment of stupidity.
Not interested in the big, heavy Mark series. 22/45 Lite... I was for a long time considering one, but the interest level has faded on that.

Having 15+1 for a .22 pistol is very uncommon as most pistols are 10 rounds. This is the reason I was so into an 8 shot LCRx .22 revolver and had it on the dream list for over a year. I'd rather have 8 shots in a revolver than 10 in a pistol because *read signature*

I have had the SR22 for years and it if crazy reliable. I now have about 10 mags, that I use for "Point and Shoot" skills. The gun is fast a accurate. A fun gun to shoot and train with. NO! this is not a target gun, I do not see the apples to oranges comparison on some suggesting a target gun. It is not meant to be a targer gun.
I do have a LCR9mm and had considered the LCR22 but from what I understand, just not the same trigger.

Cons of he SR22
Trigger has that stupid free play like on the New LCPll. Where Ruger came up with this idea is beyond me.
The safety is in reverse of say the SR9C and the LC9S. I train with safety's and have been all my life. Why would Ruger reverse the safety on one of their own guns?

I just traded my MKIII 22/45 for this GP100 .22

I just sold my GP100 .22 and kept my MKIII's and IV's because a) reloading 10 rounds of 22 in a revolver isn't that fun compared to switching and loading the mags of a MarkIII, and b) the GP100 is a very beautiful gun, but it's a boat anchor, heavy and way too heavy for a 22 plinker. Your MKIII 22/45 was more accurate and fun to reload.

Back