Which round?

kachok,
where do you find 6.5 bullets with a 614 BC? the best I could find was in the 400s, my 6.5 jap may just be brought along on another hunt if I could get a decent load going with that BC.

I have never seen bc of 600, and I should rephrase how I said that about the 6.5x55, on paper, it does not kill as good as it does in the field. Especially to those who leave bc out pf the equation. And the 6.5 jap does look pretty sad, but the 2 deer I have shot were DRT. And I can't count the hogs that dropped like you hit them with a 600 nitro or something. I was saying that most of the 6.5's, as well as many other rounds, don't get the respect that they deserve.

Berger VLD Hunting 140gr .614 BC
Hornady SST 140gr .525 BC
Nosler Ballsitic Tip 140gr .509 BC
Nosler Accubond LR 129gr .561 BC
Heck even the flat base Nosler Partition is a .490 BC
The 6.5mm caliber has alot of remarkably high BC bullets.

I killed my first black bear with the 6.5 jap with a 140gr accubond. the accubond sucked, I just lucked out and half of the bullet hit the liver and the other half hit the heart. it only made it about 30 yards before it dropped.

I have a t44 carbine so with a 20 inch barrel the 6.5 looks even more pathetic on paper but if it'll kill a 250 LB black bear at ~100-ish yards then it'll definitely kill a deer and and if a 6.5 traveling 2000 FPS can do that then a 6.5x55 traveling 2600 FPS is that much better.

I love my 7mm mag. A little more powerful then a 30-06, has better ballistics but with comparable recoil.

My type 30 in 6.5x50 Jap is pretty potent with 140g SST's but it's a little on the light side for elk.

Boomer

Food for thought on the 6.5mm, most 6.5mm bullets are designed for 1800fps minimum impact speeds if you want proper expansion so starting out at 2,000 is a little on the light side you might want to consider 100-120gr at a little more speed but the BEST bullet for a low speed 6.5mm is the 123gr SST which is designed for 6.5 Grendel speeds and has an impressive .510BC perfect for a mild 6.5 at around 2400-2700fps.

Kachok said:
Berger VLD Hunting 140gr .614 BC
Hornady SST 140gr .525 BC
Nosler Ballsitic Tip 140gr .509 BC
Nosler Accubond LR 129gr .561 BC
Heck even the flat base Nosler Partition is a .490 BC
The 6.5mm caliber has alot of remarkably high BC bullets.

You also have the option of Woodleigh's .264 Protected Point 160 grain bullets. They have a BC of .509 and have ridiculous sectional density (SD) of .328. You need a .308 bullet of 220+ grains, a .416 bullet of 400+ grains, or a .458 bullet of 500+ grains to beat that sectional density (this type of sectional density is CXP4 criteria).

I would also like to note that it doesn't make sense to compare different caliber bullets by grain size, they should be compared by Sectional Density. I would rather be hit by a 1 pound sack of feathers than a 1 pound sack of lead!

Last edited:
As game is killed with bullets, not cartridges, a given bullet fired at the same velocity and twist from several cartridges has the same results.

but some cartridges are not capable of propelling bullets at the same speeds as other cartridges. therefore you can not just say, get a 30 caliber, not a 7mm or a 6.5mm. a 140gr bullet fired from a 7mm rem mag is far more capable of killing a big horn sheep at 450 yards than a 150gr bullet fired from a 7.62x39mm.

One of my South Dakota buddies hunts EVERYTHING with his 25-06 rifle. From pronghorn antelope to elk including mule deer and coyotes, all these animals have been felled by this Ruger rifle. He loads the Sierra 117 grain bullet for deer and antelope but the Nosler Partition for elk and bear.

25-06 is a keeper!

Jack

You could do worse than go all "traditional" ala Jack O'Conner and get a .270 Winchester and shoot 130 grain bullets.

Since you like metric cartridges how about the 8mm Magnum? It'd kill anything you list at long range and you'd be the only kid on the the block with one. Maybe not a round you'd find in any corner gun shop but you could share bullets with your 8x57.

I believe that Craig Boddington says its his favorite caliber too.

If you like the metrics, how about the 7x64? Everything the .270 should be but you get all the versatility of 7mm bullets.

I love mine...

ATB,

Scrummy

Back