Which round?

scroungydog

Inactive
Ok, so im sure I don't "need" a new gun, well at least that's what my wife says. But she told me to get one anyways. So im looking for a gun that will be for a mixture of elk, sheep, and long range deer. I am a metric fan and am looking for a round to compliment my 6.5x55, 8x57, and 45-70. The calibers I am considering are 25-06, .264 win mag, .270, 7mm, or 300 win mag. With the .264 and 300 being my last choices. I also woudnt wind a short mag but have not really looked into them. I reload so im not to worried about ammo, but I would like a round I can find at most gun shops in case of the dreaded "oh s#!*, I forgot my ammo" scenario. But that's not the biggest factor. And I don't buy paper ballistics as both my 6.5x55 and custom 6.5x50 look pathetic on paper but are dang good at killing in the field. So what paper says is not of super importance to me. Neither is the magnum aspect. What im asking for is real world killing performance, and I know that the animal probably wont know the difference. So let's hear it, I want field reports, animals that got away, so on and so forth, ill even take bubba said.

scroungydog

scroungydog said:
I am a metric fan and am looking for a round to compliment my 6.5x55, 8x57, and 45-70.

Seeing how you are a metric fan, why don't you look into the 6 mm family. The .243 is ubiquitous and can be found anywhere. It sounds like you may reload, then I would also consider the 6mm Remington (which isn't as common).

I would have otherwise suggested the 6.5 Creedmoor, but you have the outstanding 6.5x55 SE!

How does the 6mm do on elk and similar sized game? I had not even considered a 6. Would there be any advantage in killing power over my 6.5x55? Does it carry enough power at 400+ yards for deer sized game? Much less elk? I know my wifes 243 isn't the first gun off the rack for an elk hunt. Im sure it is capable. Im just not sure if its what im looking for in a long range big game rifle.

And I did consider a 280, its in about the same boat as the .264 in the running.

scroungydog said:
How does the 6mm do on elk and similar sized game?

That is up for debate, which it did just recently in another thread, and it gets heated.

scroungydog said:
Does it carry enough power at 400+ yards for deer sized game?

Pushing a 105 grain Berger Hunting VLD @ 3,000 fps you have enough energy out to 550 yards.

You could also give the 6.5-284 a look as well. It has everything you are looking for. Plus it is non-magnum.

7mm Remington Magnum. It'll more than handle all the game you list, it is a fine long range round, and if a store stocks ammo they'll have some.

270 and 7mm the two im really looking at. And the 6.5x284 is a great round, I already have a target rifle in 6.5x284 and another in 6br. Both great rounds. But im looking to add a new lady to the safe.
Anyone have any bad reports on any caliber listed.

"Or get a 280 and call it a 7mm Express/Remington."

It's a slightly more powerful clone of the metric 7x64 Brenneke which would closely fit in with what you're looking for.. My last custom build was a 1909 Argentine mauser chambered to the .270 Rem./7MM Express and is the rifle I'm working loads up for at this point in time for January elk hunt. NIce rifle, 24" barrel, Niedner trap door butt plate and grip cap and a very pretty piece of Claro walnut for a classic style stock. Very nice Fleur de Lis checkering. First test loads with the Nosler long range Accubonds show promise.
So, my suggestion would be the .280 Remington.
Paul B.

6.5x55 and custom 6.5x50 look pathetic on paper

Since when does the 6.5 x 55 look pathetic on paper?

Go 7mm...plenty of kinetic energy, great ballistics possible with the correct bullets. 7mm was the choice of the US F-Class team this year.

7x57mm Mauser.

It fits your bill perfectly. Reloader's dream, but can still be picked up at virtually any sporting store.

Definitely usable on elk out to a reasonable distance. Most people have heard the stories about the round being used on elephant back in the day :rolleyes:

But really, it's exactly what you're asking for.

Starting ground up, go 7mm or 30 cal. I really like 300 WSM, but 280 AI, 7mm STW, 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Weatherby are all proven.

if you need it for elk and sheep then I heavily recommend 7mm rem mag just because it has the best performance over range, both of those animals require the ability to make long range shots.

Looking at your caliber list you're really good at everything in the lower 48 up to 200+ yards. The only thing you're missing is a heavy long range hitter for that elk across the ravine in Rockies. So I'd suggest a 338 WM or 300 RUM.
I don't think you need anything below the 6.5x55 for common hunting unless you want a true varmint round like 223 or similar.

im looking for a gun that will be for a mixture of elk, sheep, and long range deer

Realistically there are many rounds that will do this job. Anything from 7-08 on up will get the job done including the default 30-06 and 270 answers. I grew up with a 30-06, used it for almost 40 years, but have been drawn to the 308 lately. If you like metrics a 7-08 or 7X57 would be logical. The 7X57 with modern loads will easily handle the chores you have listed and is as classic as it gets. It has been killing every animal on the planet since 1892.

If you feel the need for a magnum round the 300 WSM is the way I'd go. There isn't much I can't get done with my 308 (or with a 7-08 or 7X57 if I had gone that way), but if I really want more power I'd skip right over the 30-06 for the 300 WSM anymore. You get speeds equal to the 300 WM, in a 308 sized rifle with recoil closer to hot 30-06 levels.

The 300 WSM and 7-08 are almost as common in gunshops now as 30-06. Can't say that about the 7X57 anymore if that is a consideration.

For me I would actually go with a 7mm mag or the 30-06. With the proper bullet selection, those two will kill anything in the lower 48 without a problem.

You already have rifles capable of taking your intended game cleanly at normal hunting distances. You really don't need another rifle.

However, if you did want to hunt at longer ranges, then I'd go with the 7mm Rem Mag. For long range the 7mm Rem Mag is hard to beat. As a handloader you can make good use of the high BC 162, 168, 175, 180gr bullets to very good effect on anything from antelope to elk. I like the 175gr Sierra Game King around 2,700 fps or so, but accuracy is better than velocity so stop the load workup when the groups get tight.

You really don't need another rifle, but that shouldn't stop anyone.

Jimro

Well I went with a 7mm. I was not planning on buying it for a few weeks. But I was at the fleamarket today and found an almost brand new savage 114 american classic with a leuplod vx2 on it and 39 rounds of hornady superformance 162 grainers. for $650. I couldn't pass that up in any caliber. The guy selling it was about 80 and his wife bought it for him (at the advice of gun store owner) so he could get back into hunting, he shot it one time to sight it in and put it back in the box. He walked down a few tables and got a 243 so we both won. But thanks for everyones advice. I still can't believe that a gun store would recommend a 7mm for an elderly man to get back into hunting.

I don't know about the 6.5x55 looking pathetic on paper, 2800fps with a .614BC hunting bullet gives me over 700 yards effective range on deer class game (not that I ever shoot them that far) Looks pretty strong to me. Sure does not look pathetic on deer in the real world.

Back