Which rifle for elk?

I've used a .300 Win Mag for my guided elk hunts (two 5 x 5's and one black bear.) Nearly all guides and outfitters I've contacted about elk hunting recommend a .270 Win, though some seem to prefer a .30-06. My impression is that guides and outfitters see much better shooting (and success) from hunters using a .270 or .30-06. I'm taking my .270 if I go again because it is very light and very accurate.

A standard .270 Win with the right bullet will do the trick nicely, but it is nice to have something slightly different. Unfortunately, different often costs a lot of money. If it wasn't for cost, I would consider the .270 Weatherby Magnum to be perhaps the ultimate elk cartridge, although overkill.

If I was going to hunt elk, it would likely be with 7mm Rem Mag due to the potential distance issue.

.264 Win mag.
6.5 X 284
.270 Win, WSM, Wby
7 Rem mag, WSM, WBY, STW,
.280 Ackley
.300 Win mag, WSM, wby
.325 WSM
.338 Win mag
.340 WBY
I didn't list any of the cannons that are popular nowadays.

All of the cartridges you have will take elk nicely,but they are like different golf clubs.Each is a great tool for the correct application.
Each has its advantages and limitations.
Will it be a guided hunt? Or do you have a local you are going with that has hunted this ground?
With good bullets and shot placement,I'd estimate the Whelen and the 7x57 to be good to 250 yds.,maybe a bit more.
With some forms of elk hunting,thats fine.In the 7x57 I'd suggest 150 to 160 gr bullets.I'd also suggest you think in terms of doing surgery on vital organs with the 7x57,and be willing to pass on some shots.It will certainly do through the ribs heart/lung shots.
The Whelen needs no explanation.Within reasonable trajectory it will have the thump and penetration.

If you are going to be working hard,at 7000/8000/9000 feet,you are going tolike a 7 1/2 pound rifle better than a 10pound rifle.

If your contact says it will be longer range shooting,take the 264.Sometimes,by some methods elk hunting CAN be a 400 yd proposal.

Good Luck!! ( having two rifles available is not a bad idea.Where the elk will be is typically contingent on weather.Elk country weather is fickle.
You may not know till near opening day if you will need the 264 or something lighter and handier.

Inside of 300 yards the difference is all on paper. The .35 Wheelen would be my choice, but the others aren't wrong.

PAST 300 yards the .264's flat trajectory will shine.

Back