Which revolver and which calibre? Good luck!

Get the Taurus 608 and send it off to a good gunsmith with machine shop to ream the chambers to accept 9mm as well. You'll have to use moonclips moving forward, and you will not be able to reload the 38/357 cases w/o work but now you got a gun that shoots 3 calibers w/o having to swap cylinders.

I think the Security Six is Ruger's finest revolver. It doesn't fill every role perfectly but it does cover a lot of ground at least reasonably well.

With effort you can conceal it. It can handle hot 357 magnum loads all the way down to light 38's and it's as tough as they come. The down side is that Ruger no longer makes or services them.

Unless you have a specific need in mind, such as protection from really large bears, 357 magnum is probably your best and most versatile option.

I know you didn't include Smith & Wesson as a candidate but their "L-frame" Model 686 Plus, chambered in .357 Magnum with a 4" long barrel; having an adjustable rear sight, a s/s finish and a seven-shot capacity is always my go-to recommendation whenever someone asks about the best "all-around" revolver. As a bonus and further enhancement, it comes with S&W's lifetime warranty and their good customer service history.

OOPS! I failed to note that you apparently can't get Smith & Wesson firearms where you live. A pity, but, that being the case, the "equivalent" Ruger revolver would be my choice. No "lifetime" warranty, per se, but an excellent customer service record.

Last edited:
I enjoy your posts. You certainly are forced into some interesting convolutions.

Here's hoping for an early retirement that will allow you to move to the U.S. where you can fully (well, MORE fully) enjoy your hobby.

I'm with Bob Wright on this one. Why don't you get some thing nice for the wife and spend an equal amount of money on a Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero. I would trade off the Astra and the 9mm for a nice Ruger single-action revolver without blinking and never look back.

Since you brought up the possibility of Brown bear I believe you should focus on guns that are good at handling that kind of critter. It is far more likely to be a life threatening danger than any of the other uses.
I recommend a 6 inch RedHawk in a shoulder holster. Easy to carry, available in any position and you can get a cartridge that will go up against a big bear. Compared to that threat the rest is all trivial.

I recommend a 6 inch RedHawk in a shoulder holster. Easy to carry, available in any position and you can get a cartridge that will go up against a big bear. Compared to that threat the rest is all trivial.

I have to disagree with this ^ conclusion. The op said that he "carries daily" and that a "CCW is a pretty important part of the equation". My guess is that it's far more likely he'll run into a bi-pod looking to give him trouble than he ever will a charging big bear. A Redhawk having a half-foot long barrel makes for a pretty unwieldy CCW-though it does remind me of Crocodile Dundee's rhetorical query: "You call that a knife?" :)

^ I agree. When I read the OP, to me it came across as he wants a revolver that's easy to carry, is a nice shooter, but has good effect on stopping an attacker, and is decent on bears.

I can only see the .44 Special GP100 as the one Ruger revolver that fits that philosophy of use, well for DA revolver that is. If the OP is willing to consider Single Actions, I'd say the Vaquero with the shortest barrel in .45 Colt, but I don't recommond SA revolvers for defense against people due to the slow reloads and having to pull the hammer back each time he has to shoot.

If only he'd stop walking into bear caves while he's out and about, I'd recommend any of the SP101's, probably even the 3 inch LCRx in .38, but Pond's gotta act European and make it difficult.

I'm with Bob Wright on this one. Why don't you get some thing nice for the wife and spend an equal amount of money on a Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero. I would trade off the Astra and the 9mm for a nice Ruger single-action revolver without blinking and never look back.

So he carries what? Remember, local law is, he can't carry his CZ-whatever-it-was autoloader with a loaded chamber (but he can the revolver).

Last edited:
Pond;

As you don't have access to S&Ws unfortunately (several S&W models would fit your bill), I'll agree with others that some version of the Ruger GP-100 is your best bet. The Match Champion or the Wiley Clapp models in particular, if you're going brand-new. If used is an option then I'd try to find a good Ruger Security Six for sure. Best of luck in your search.

but Pond's gotta act European and make it difficult.

How boring would this which revolver thread be if I didn't? ;)

Feeding back, I'd have to say an SA revolver, as much as I'd like one would not fit the bill: IPSC would be out as would CCW leaving only woods duty in which case I should just keep the the Redhawk as the consolidating firearm.

At 4" my Redhawk has been the perfect size so going longer would not be an option...

GPs: well really I'd need to get hold of one and see how it feels. And if I could ever conceal it.

The encouraging news is that the GP is only 5mm thicker at the cylinder than my Astra snub!

Last edited:
Sad day for Estonia!

Well.... The sole Ruger stockist that I knew of no longer sells Ruger!

Something tells me I may have had one option removed!

Last edited:
I think the Ruger Sp101 4 inch is the most obvious choice here. Very easy to carry and can shoot full house .357's all day long. I think it's the best all around revolver you can buy, I give a slight nod over the 3 inch because of the adjustable sights and the higher velocities from a 4 inch barrel.

The latest census found ca 800 bears resident in Estonia.
They are all very busy because bear watching is a significant tourist draw.

Bear hunting is promoted, too, but they only gave out 65 tags the last year I could find. And they are seldom all filled.

Ya know James, I think you would make a heck of a great American and I believe we have room here for at least one more.

I appreciate the endorsement, but there are probably a few million who might disagree what with my funny European ways!! :D
(Especially when I say I prefer Manhurin to S&W!!;))

The latest census found ca 800 bears resident in Estonia.

And one sow has been seen within about half a mile of my country cottage!! :eek:

Last edited:
Ruger makes a revolver that takes .45 Colt and .45 ACP, but I'm not sure of the model. I think it's a Redhawk in stainless.

If you can find one, it might be an option.

Dgludwig,
I carry a gun with a half foot long barrel and have for about 45 years. I have never found it unwieldy whether on the street, in the woods, or in competition. It never seems to put me at a disadvantage shooting falling plates or Hunter's pistol silhouette. For about three years I carried it in a pancake style holster but once I tried to get to it from a seated position I switched to the shoulder rig. It can be concealed under a shirt for warm weather or under a jacket in cooler weather.
My brother carried a 44 magnum with a 7.5" barrel for many years in a shoulder holster. It just isn't that hard to do and with a little practice you learn when you have to fully extend it and when you can "shoot from the hip".

Back