Which revolver and which calibre? Good luck!

Pond James Pond

A tall order coming up.
Perhaps too tall and if so, then say so...

Imagine, if you will, that you have a service-size 9mm semi-auto used for IPSC and H; a (exquisite) 4" .44Mag Ruger RH woods-gun (brown bear is probably the largest threat) and an Astra .38Spl snub as a CCW carried appendix IWB.

Imagine also that you can only really get Rugers or Taurus in the way of revolvers.

Now imagine, if you have the wit and vision (:D), that you should choose a single revolver from either of those two manufacturers to try and cover as much of those three roles as possible.

I'm open to all suggestions but I'm guessing many will go for GP or SP 3-4" in .357 but I always like some of the more unusual suggestions that TLF members come up with!

So, you have all those guns and are looking for a "do-it all" revolver to replace all of them?

Uh, that IS a tall order, but I'd say the GP100 in .44 Special. If you were willing to consider Charter Arms tho, I'd get the Target Bulldog over the GP100. Much lighter and easier to carry.

Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull. You have the 454 Casull and 45 Colt. If you reload there's a lot of options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A 4" or 6" in .44 Mag...in the Ruger would be suitable ( a little light for Brown Bear in my view) - but it will work ok...in an emergency.

I wouldn't trust a Taurus ....in any caliber.

I guess if you could figure out a way to comfortably carry your Redhawk, you'd have it all covered. But a Redhawk is a lot of gun to shove down your britches.
A GP would be better as a competition gun than an SP but the SP would be easier to carry.

Can you get CZ Dan Wesson revolvers where you live? I'm not sure how short a barrel you could get for concealed carry but you could swap for a longer barrel for competition and hunting.

I'm not sure one revolver can take the place of all three handguns you own.

I guess if you could figure out a way to comfortably carry your Redhawk, you'd have it all covered. But a Redhawk is a lot of gun to shove down your britches.
A GP would be better as a competition gun than an SP but the SP would be easier to carry.

Can you get CZ Dan Wesson revolvers where you live? I'm not sure how short a barrel you could get for concealed carry but you could swap for a longer barrel for competition and hunting.

I'm not sure one revolver can take the place of all three handguns you own.

Your post sums up my conundrum!!

Yes, the ideal would be the Redhawk as it can handle HD and IPSC but it really is the worst for carry!! Given I carry daily, CCW is a pretty important part of the equation.

That's why the .44Spl GP remains intriguing: size and relative power.

Last edited:
Maybe a 41 (IF you can get the components) might be the answer?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/653359930

pix723908001.jpg

Are you sayin' I can't use my Blackhawk .45 Colt?

Or maybe my .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk?

Don't want to play.

Bob Wright

Imagine also that you can only really get Rugers or Taurus in the way of revolvers.

Can't get Manhurin?

How is Taurus' warranty service, where you're at?

Now imagine, if you have the wit and vision (), that you should choose a single revolver from either of those two manufacturers to try and cover as much of those three roles as possible.

Trying to work around your limit on number of guns?

but I'm guessing many will go for GP or SP 3-4" in .357

Yup, pretty much.

Anything I can think of right at the moment will fail badly at least one of these roles. You'll want, I assume, lots of rounds and quick reloads for the gun games, and small size for carry. And lots of power for the woods gun/large animal defense.

hmmm. How about the GP-100 Match Chajmpion?

Last edited:
Anything I can think of right at the moment will fail badly at least one of these roles. You'll want, I assume, lots of rounds and quick reloads for the gun games, and small size for carry. And lots of power for the woods gun/large animal defense.

hmmm. How about the GP-100 Match Chajmpion?

MC looks nice!

But yes, it's like the Kobayashi Maru: ya just can't win!! And I acknowledge that.

My list.
Most used (shot or carried)

Snub (EDC)
Redhawk (woods and IPSC)
SP-01 (IPSC and would be HD duty)

So the those two at the furthest ends of the scale are the two I use most!! So, yes, it makes bridging that gap hardest.
I really hope it doesn't come to this but it might...

As for being in Estonia: well the country has a population of 1.3 million and few gun owners. Of those that are, even fewer are handgun owners...

So, there's little incentive for a company like Charter to start selling here.

Ruger is essentially bought in by one shop from another EU importer; probably in Germany. Taurus is probably the same.

So it means that Customer Support is probably nil in practical terms...

That is one reason I'd be sad to sell off the .44. It's worked beautifully for me, with the exception of the clockwork getting bunged up once with unburnt powder: user error...

If your hands aren't too big an SP101 might work. I am not 100% sure if they are available, but an SP101 in 357 magnum with a 3" barrel and adjustable sights might be as close as you can come to one revolver that is okay for all three of those jobs.

Why do you want/need to consolidate? If it isn't a new law or an ultimatum from the wife (IOW, if it is something you can work around a bit), why not keep the 9mm for competition and then you can go with a 3" SP 101 for woods and CCW (a nice and sturdy 5-shot, small-framed .357mag). They even make it in a 4" if you can get it there for a little more velocity/power out of the .357mag. Is there any way for you to get a S&W? If so, I'd look to a 3-4" K-frame on the used market or a 3" S&W 629. If I had to have only one gun for all three uses, I'd probably go with an auto: a 10mm Glock 29 or a 10mm 1911.

an ultimatum from the wife

OMG!! How did you know?!

Semis are out because of a) a national law stating condition 3 carry for autos and b) there is a real risk of auto-loaders being outlawed in the EU; handguns and long-guns alike. And I prefer revolvers.

If I had to have only one gun for all three uses, I'd probably go with an auto: a 10mm Glock 29 or a 10mm 1911.

And I've never seen a 10mm on sale here.

SP101 width = 1.35"
GP100 width = 1.56"
LCRx357 width = 1.28"

Sp101 with 3" barrel weight 27 oz
Gp100 with 3" barrel weight 36 oz
LCRx357 with 2" barrel weight 17.1 oz

Can you get away with selling your semi and keeping the Redhawk and the snubby?

Back