Which Powder for 30-30 Win?

I've got 3 powders I use with my Mossy 464. The first two, W748 and H335 are for full power hunting loads with both 150 and 170grn bullets. I use them because I have them for other calibers, they're both ball powders so they meter well, and they work. Hodgdon's manual claims a whopping 2fps difference between them.

The 3rd powder is for my 2,000fps plinking loads. It's W760 and I use it because my son had an 8lb keg he got for a Win M70 in 30-06 which he now doesn't shoot anymore so, I had the powder and needed something to use it in. Surprisingly, it's pretty accurate even with the X-Treme plated 150grn FP plated plinking bullets I use.

Many great powders to use in 30-30 Win. I tried most and get the best accuracy with Varget with both 150 grain & 170 grain bullets . hdbiker

IMR 3031 is a classic powder. Reloder 15 is also very good - my preference right now.

I will be trying out Hodgdon's LeveRevolution as soon as deer season is over.

I'll also be trying out the Barnes 190 gr Originals they've recently put out.

I have always used IMR3031. Never needed to go back and look up my load data for 30-30 since it's in the name. 30gr for 170gr, 31gr for 150gr. I think they did that on purpose!

OP here. Thanks for all the tips!

I used up the small amount of IMR4895 I had putting 30 grains in about 20 rounds. And since I had two cans of H4895, loaded up the rest of my primed cased with 29 grains of it.

Probably won't be able to get to the range for a while though. And while there were a lot of nearby woods where I used to shoot in back in the day, they're all subdivisions and commercial developments now :-(

Back