Which one of the three handguns would you pick for concealed carry?

Which one of the three handguns would you pick for concealed carry?

• S&W .357 Model 627 V-Comp

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Sig 9mm P226-Combat TB

Votes: 62 75.6%
  • FNH .45 FNX-45 Tactical

Votes: 12 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
AK103K said:
Since many seem to think the above listed guns are to big to carry, Im curious as to why.

Because they are full size handguns and I can conceal a smaller gun easier and more comfortably, it's as simple as that. Not sure why this should come as any surprise that people think a full size handgun is too big for concealed carry.

AK103K said:
They really arent "big".

Handguns don't get much bigger.

Last edited:
Not sure why this should come as any surprise that people think a full size handgun is too big for concealed carry.
Well, people have been carrying full size guns concealed since about the giddy up, and without any trouble doing so.

Perhaps this is a generational thing?

Handguns don't get much bigger.
I guess its a matter of perception, and experience. To me, things like Colt GM's and 4" S&W revolvers, are just normal sized pistols, that are easily carried concealed, in everyday clothing. What many insist today are CC sized guns, and the largest they could possibly carry, are to me, back up sized guns, that get carried along with the full sized gun.

Theres no doubt its a personal thing, and there are many more choices these days, than just 10 -15 years ago, which is great. I just think telling someone something is to big, just because you dont want to carry it, is doing that person a disservice. Some of us have been carrying full size guns, and back ups as well, day in, day out, their whole lives, and with little trouble, because they want to. If someone wants to carry a full sized gun, I say, have at it, its easy. The only way to really know, it to give it a try.

Theres always those back ups, if it doesnt work out. ;)

True, but the majority of people have a tough time concealing a full size handgun day in and day out. That's not to say it can't be done, but it can often require you to dress around the gun, with either larger pants, a cover garment, or oversized shirts.

The biggest guns I have carried concealed have been a Beretta M9A1 and a S&W 686, both of which I found to be just too tough to conceal and too uncomfortable for all day carry. In fact my first handgun was a 686, and without any prior experience I intended to carry that thing everyday. I soon found out that it was not even close to ideal as a carry gun, and scraped together any bit of money I could and quickly bought a model 60 for carry. The biggest gun I will carry on a daily basis is something in the realm of a M&P compact, but lately it has been a Shield 9mm and a Bodyguard .380 in the pocket when I am at work. I will add that accidentally showing your carry gun in my state can land you in hot water, which is why I have to take extra care in concealing my gun.

Last edited:
Well, people have been carrying full size guns concealed since about the giddy up, and without any trouble doing so.
SOME people have, but if it were true that anyone can conceal full-sized guns "without any trouble" no one would bother making or buying small guns for concealed carry.

I carry a full-sized gun on occasions but it would be incorrect to say that I have no trouble doing so. I either have to completely alter my mode of dress (go to a dedicated cover garment or jacket), or I have to be very careful about what I do to avoid printing/unintentionally concealing.

If I were to use an IWB holster with a full-sized gun, I would have to have 2 sizes of pants, one for carry and one for non-carry.

I can conceal a more typical concealed carry gun without altering my mode of dress at all, or by simply untucking my shirt. Even with an IWB holster, I don't have to go to a different pant size, I can simply let my belt out one notch and use the same size pants because the gun/holster combo is relatively compact.

Some folks may have a normal mode of dress that lends itself to concealing a full-sized handgun without any trouble, but I would say they are the exception rather than the rule.

There's certainly no question that if a person is dedicated to carrying a full-sized gun that they can find a way to make it work. That's not at all the same thing as saying that anyone can do it without any trouble.

I guess Im one of the lucky ones, as my everyday attire is pretty casual, Carhartts/Dickies, tee shirts with an untucked oxford shirts in the summer, fleece or sweatshirt in the winter.

I suppose having two sets of trousers is a personal choice. I prefer to wear my normal size, and while initially snug when you put the holster in, they quickly stretch to a perfect point, where they hold the gun and holster more securely, with no shifting around. They also look like they fit. The waist isnt the only thing "bigger" when you start going up in waist sizes. Bigger clothes look out of place and look like they dont fit.

I personally think anyone can do pretty much anything, if they "want" to do it. This really is all about "want" more than it is "cant". Im not big, nor do I wear over sized clothes, all my shirts, trousers, jackets, etc, are my normal size, and I dont dress out of line for my job or lifestyle, even as it might have changed over the years. Ive never had any troubles doing it. Then again, I want to do it. Im sure if I can do it, anyone else could, if they "wanted" to. "Trouble" I suppose, is something else that falls under perception.

All Im getting at here is, the OP seems to want to carry a full sized gun, for whatever his reasons are, and thats cool, if thats what he wants. He seems to have the "want" part figured out, so why tell him he "cant", because you choose to follow that line of thinking?

This "cant" thing seems to be something that intertwines its way through many of the threads anymore. It seems more of the various "problems" this or that gun has, is because someone "cant" deal with something about it they havent worked out. The trigger is bad, the grip angle is wrong, its to big, its to small, etc, etc. Henry Ford was right. ;)

I would also like to see a none of the above as a choice.

My edc is a Ruger SR9C, but it also has been a Glock 27, a Ruger SP101, and a S$W 38 bodyguard.

Of the three pistols presented I'd go with the 627. (minus the comp)

It would be the most accurate of the bunch and able to shoot a wide variety of ammo types and bullet shapes. I like the adjustable sights so the bullet goes where you aim.

For me the grip of a gun is the biggest obstacle to concealing. With the Smith there is a huge array of options to maximize both concealability and shootability.

I guess its a matter of perception, and experience. To me, things like Colt GM's and 4" S&W revolvers, are just normal sized pistols,

Those are normal, duty sized guns. At 40+oz. loaded, fine in a standard duty holster on a 2" wide duty belt ..... with a 1 1/4" CCW belt, they are HEAVY. I toted a 5" steel framed 1911 for a year, because it was my only realistic option ...... While the GM is narrow enough to ride IWB fairly well (and even then, the grip is so long as to print badly if you bend over at all) .... I have never been able to get any wheelgun to ride IWB very well at all.

I carried GM's and Commanders IWB on a 1.75" belt, (as well as a double reload OWB), for about 25 years. I also carried either a PPK or P230, or a J frame as a BUG, at the same time. I didnt find them heavy or a problem.

Ive carried High Powers, SIG P220's, P226's and P229's, as well as Glocks 17's and 31's in the same manner. These days, a 26 replaces the other "smaller" guns, in the BU role.

If you wear the gun in a proper holster, in that nook under your rib cage at 4:30 or so, the gun just disappears under anything hanging over it, even a light oxford shirt or a tee shirt for that matter.

As far as printing goes, pretty much "everything" prints, if you dont dress right and dont follow a few basic carrying rules as far as movement goes.

The times Ive IWB carried a K or N frame revolver, I used a "pancake" type OWB holster with "pull the dot" loop straps attached to the outer edges of the holster, so the cylinder was just above the belt line. They are much more comfortable carrying that way. I did that out of need when I was doing it, as we didnt have much choice back then. Holster choices then were nothing like they are now. Even now, with fewer people carrying revolvers, especially full size guns, there isnt much demand on the holster makers to pursue it.

Auto holsters are a totally different story. If you cant find a good holster to hide pretty much anything these days, you didnt look very hard.

Since many seem to think the above listed guns are to big to carry, Im curious as to why.

What's the advantage of carrying a gun with a threaded barrel if I have no intentions on threading anything to it?
Same ? with a rail.
And a FN45 is an overly large gun.

Whos to say he doesnt have something to attach to it? And really, why should it matter, if its what he wants to carry?

Many handguns come with a rail these days, whether you like it or not. Im not really big on them on some guns, but they are handy, and you never know when you might find need for one.

These both come off, and the gun goes in my holster, with the threaded barrel, with no trouble at all. With the light and suppressor off the gun, its only slightly longer than my other 17's, and really no bother. It fits all my holsters without issue, and it doesnt poke me when I carry it.

A ruler pocket on a pair of Carhartts holds the suppressor like it was made for it. :)

ry%3D480

If ya gonna carry big, might as well carry in style.. that is why I picked the S&W 627 from your list :)

But, I agree with a poster above.. I would opt for the non V-Comp model. The V-Comp's compensator is not needed on a carry piece and the "tuning" can be acheived for a lot less then the V-Comp's premium dicatates.

One of these...
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57775_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Or, if you wanted something smaller for the carry aspect... one of these..
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...75660_775655_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

You know you want the Revolver.. you know deep down you do .... :D

You asked for opinions from people who thought those were too big.
You really didnt answer the question either.

The threaded barrel and rail really add nothing to the overall size of the gun, and again, if they are to be utilized, then they are deemed as needed, wouldnt you say?

I dont remember anyone saying they werent going to be used, and just for looks either.

All you said about the FN was its "overly large". Why? Have you ever carried one concealed? How about the P226 or the S&W?

I wear guns

So I own numerous belts and pants of various sizing, based on my wish/desire/want to wear some of the bigger guns I own.
I own numerous covering garments of various sizing and style for the same reason.
I own numerous fanny packs of various sizing to accomodate the different sizes of guns I own.

I own and wear guns sized from my 22LR NAA Mini to my 7.5" 357 Magnum Redhawk.
Concealed.

Last edited:
You really didnt answer the question either.
If you don't see any difference or understand why somebody would want to carry a smaller/lighter gun why don't you carry a G17 for backup instead of a G26?
The threaded barrel and rail really add nothing to the overall size of the gun
Nothing? a threaded barrel railed P226/P220 won't fit in my holster for my P220.

I dont remember anyone saying they werent going to be used, and just for looks either.
If the Op wants to use them he should, I wouldn't and don't have any desire for them on my CCW, and apparently by the # of posts I'm not alone.
All you said about the FN was its "overly large". Why?
It just is it's thick through the slide, the grip is large and now they discontinued the flat mag base.
Have you ever carried one concealed?
No I had a plain barreled one though and it's a big gun.
How about the P226 or the S&W?
I've carried a P220 and it's about the limit of comfort for me, same with a revolver a K frame cylinder is about my limit for comfort. And either one is plenty comforting before you say it.

If you don't see any difference or understand why somebody would want to carry a smaller/lighter gun why don't you carry a G17 for backup instead of a G26?
Why would I carry the 17 in the 26's place? Im already carrying both. Youre the one saying just the one is a problem.

The 26 fills the back up role, and very nicely, the 17 fills the main gun role very nicely. I have no trouble what so ever carrying both, most all the time, so whats the problem? Oh, wait, its not my problem. :) ;)

I fully understand that some people dont "want" to carry a full size gun, I get that. That isnt really an issue here though, is it? The OP asked about three specific, "full" sized guns. If he wanted smaller, I would think he'd have asked.

I dont care what you choose to carry, Im not telling you what to carry, carry whatever you feel works best for you, just dont try and tell us, that others cant carry what you choose not to, because you think its to big. Thats all Im saying.

Nothing? a threaded barrel railed P226/P220 won't fit in my holster for my P220.
It would with a P220 holster made to fit the newer "R" series SIG's, which most all of the newer models are. I know that because I used to buy all my SIG holsters with that in mind, simply because I had a number of both type guns, and the older models all fit in the newer model holsters. Just fine too.

To say it wont work because you dont have the right holster, doenst make it wrong. Just that you have the wrong holster.

If the Op wants to use them he should, I wouldn't and don't have any desire for them on my CCW, and apparently by the # of posts I'm not alone.
I agree, if he wants to, he should. Who cares if youre alone here or not, it has nothing to do with what he asked, nor does it help him with his question.

And either one is plenty comforting before you say it.
Wasnt going to. You did though. ;)

The 26 fills the back up role, and very nicely, the 17 fills the main gun role very nicely. I have no trouble what so ever carrying both, most all the time, so whats the problem? Oh, wait, its not my problem.
Why not carry 2 17s?
I dont care what you choose to carry, Im not telling you what to carry, carry whatever you feel works best for you, just dont try and tell us, that others cant carry what you choose not to, because you think its to big. Thats all Im saying.
I'm not the one telling people their choices are wrong, I'm simply trying to answer your question. Now of course I'm sorry I even tried.
For the record I voted in the poll;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back