Which one of the three handguns would you pick for concealed carry?

Which one of the three handguns would you pick for concealed carry?

• S&W .357 Model 627 V-Comp

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Sig 9mm P226-Combat TB

Votes: 62 75.6%
  • FNH .45 FNX-45 Tactical

Votes: 12 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't CCW anything with a threaded barrel. That means tall sights which sag on everything, don't fit most holsters, and a threaded barrel that sticks out of most holsters and gouges your soft parts.

There are very few things worse for CCW than a gun made for a can. Maybe a race gun with a reticle/scope.

Try drawing from concealment with one of the things and see how well you do.

Get a LEO trade in P229 9mm with low profile sights.

556-Pistol-Beauty.jpg

I'd skip all those too small to shoot accurately and limited capacity CC pistols.

I wouldn't CCW anything with a threaded barrel. That means tall sights which sag on everything, don't fit most holsters, and a threaded barrel that sticks out of most holsters and gouges your soft parts.

There are very few things worse for CCW than a gun made for a can.
Thats not always true.

I have a couple of pistols with threaded barrels and they wear "normal" sights. If you shoot with both eyes open, you dont need the higher sights to shoot well with a can attached. Even just using one eye, is quite doable.

There are a number of holsters these days that will work with the higher sights as well, and more and more, they are mounting them in conjunction with the red dots.

The barrel is only about half an inch longer, and doesnt get in the way or "poke".

I picked the P226 of the three above. I carried one for a number of years, and they are easy to carry. I didnt carry that particular model, but from what Ive seen pic wise, they dont all have suppressor sights mounted.

I dont see that any of those listed above would be hard to carry concealed.

They are "reasonably" sized handguns. They may not be the "little" guns many seem to insist you choose these days, but if youre accustomed to carrying a full size gun, I dont see they would be an issue.

Limited to the ones on your list, the P226.
.... but I would rather CC something smaller.
==========
How do you plan to carry? iwb? owb? shoulder rig?

None of the above. I'd carry a CCW gun.

This question is kinda like asking who you would like to go on a date with, Rosie O'Donnell, Rachel Maddow, or Steve Buscemi. Yea, it could kinda be done, but very difficult to get to mission accomplished. :cool:

Last edited:
Just what is a "ccw" gun?

Ive carried full sized pistols most of my life. I also carry what many seem to think these days, are full sized guns, PPK's, P230's, Glock 26's, S&W J frames, etc, as a back up along with them.

Those guns in ATN082268's list above, are just full sized handguns. They arent "oversized".

Even ritepath's SIG is doable, with the right gear and dress. Ive done that with an MP5 in one case, and a MAC in another, and they both had double reloads on the off side as well.

It's not about 'size', it's about 'method'......
Theres your answer.

Out of your list, I'd pick the Sig 226 ...its a good solid gun.

But you should pick the one you shoot the best of the 3 ! Not what I would pick ....you should pick what fits your hands the best, the best grip angle for you , the controls you like the best, the weight, width....etc....

( personally my primary carry gun is a steel, 5" 1911 in .45 acp )...because that's what suits me the best / and the gun I shoot the best. My backup option, would be the same 1911 in a 9mm...

None of these guns was been especially designed for CC which doesn't mean they can't be concealed. I CC my USP9F with no problems.
Voted for Sig.

SIG P226. It carries just fine in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 with extra forward cant on a gun belt. I would swap the threaded barrel out with a standard one.

The FN FNX-45 is a huge gun that even I would not consider carrying (from a guy who carries a Ruger Alaskan AIWB). The 627 can be managed with "boot" grips that do not extend much past the bottom of the frame. I carry my 327 TRR8 with 5" barrel in an IWB holster. The holster you carry it in should have lots of forward cant. However, you will need to remove the compensator. The 5" barrel is not much of a problem with a good holster like the VM2 or a good pancake holster. Again, forward cant is the secret.

Here is my P220 in a VM 2. The only difference is the width of the grip.

photo-22.jpg

Last edited:
I carried my 226's and 220's in either a Blade Tech IWB or a Sparks VMII, at around 4:30. While I agree cant is a big help, I never found the need to add any more to mine. I still use the same model holsters today with my Glock 17's, and in the same spot.

Since many seem to think the above listed guns are to big to carry, Im curious as to why.

The P226 and P220, are Colt Commander sized handguns. They really arent "big". The FN is about the same size as the SIG.

Of the three, the S&W is probably the biggest. The N frame revolvers can be a bit of a challenge, but with the right holsters, they arent bad. Ive carried 4" Model 28's and 29's, with both belt and shoulder holsters, and they are easily carried concealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back