Which one, 357 Magnum or 45 Colt, or?

stagpanther, I guess it is possible to have too many 45-70's but I haven't reached that point yet. :D I love shooting that cartridge. At almost 75 years old I don't shoot them hot. Actually I never did. Just had to get me another Sharps.

bedbugbilly, thanks for the reply. As I stated the Winchester 73 has been put on hold for now. I found a new Sharps I think I can't live without. Hopefully I will have it in my grubby little hands the end of next week. I already have plenty of rounds loaded so I will be anxious to get it to the range.

Thanks guys for all the input.

Not a chance I would ever take a 1873 in 45 colt to the capacity of the cartridge. That standard round goes in the 13,000 CUP range. Full capacity is in the 30,000 cup range. Not on a toggle link action. The area of the base of a 45 colt is 62% greater than the 357, which means 38% greater bolt thrust given the same pressure.

Feature-28.gif

Last edited:
stagpanther, I guess it is possible to have too many 45-70's but I haven't reached that point yet. I love shooting that cartridge. At almost 75 years old I don't shoot them hot.
It is a classic, no doubt, and can be loaded up and down for a wide range. :)

Good point COSteve but I also thought that the 1873 repro’s could handle the hotter, modern stuff.
The information that I pass on that the '66/'73's toggle link action isn't strong enough for heavy loads came from Steve Young of Steve's Guns. I talked to him when I was considering getting an Uberti '73 in 45 Colt and he told me he's seen many of them with stretched receivers and 'ovaled' toggle link pivot holes/bent pivot pins from over pressure.

He first told me about the 14,000psi level loads that the action was originally designed for. It's why I put together that chart to see just how much bolt thrust the rounds produced.

And yes, Uberti makes a steel framed 1873 in 44 mag, however, when I called to talk to their CS people they told me that while it can handle the standard commercial 240grn 44 mag level loads, they don't recommend shooting it consistently. They assume that most of the ammo run through it will be 44 spl. They also advise against using any hot commercial loads as well.

Steve told me that even with hardened toggle links and receivers, the basic design will loosen up over time as it's a basically weak locking design. It's why Winchester came out with the '86 and later the '92 and '94 with their stronger design.

Last edited:
I am a little late to this debate. I would choose 44/40 because it is authentic. The OP can and will relaod so ammo is no problem. I have a friend who takes deer with a modern marlin (limited produced) 44/40. I was a little surprised at how well it works.

As for any real or perceived hi performance needs, IMHO, all the 44 and 45 options start to look more less about the same if you load your own ammo. So, go authentic.

Considering our modern legal system, any gun factory chambered in a given round, WILL be safe to use with factory ammo.

SO, a 73 Winchester, if factory chambered in .357 will be safe. However that does not mean the factory made a gun that will last a hundred years without wearing out. It may only last a fraction of the round count the same action will last with a lower pressure round. But it will last long enough for the factory to not be held responsible when it does wear out.

And, of course, if you stretch the frame and oval the toggle because you're shooting handloads, the maker isn't responsible, you are.

Steve's comments about the frames stretching and the pins going south were from guns shooting factory ammo. Not the hot Corbon, Double Tap, or Buffalo Bore but the straight factory ammo like Winchester, Remington, Western, etc., so I take the concept, "If the factory made it in .357mag, it can take it." line of thinking with a grain of salt.

If I wanted a 73 style lever action I would get the one in 44/40. Mike Venturino wrote an article about bringing one to Texas on a cull hunt and shot 6 deer with his in 44/40. He said every bullet was a pass through and didn't see any need for more power. Sounds good to me.

And if you already have four 45/70s I would consider something different. A new one isn't going to do anything the other 4 don't do. You already reload so a new caliber is not that big of a deal to add.

And the good thing about a lever action is there is no reason to ever lose a piece of brass.

Hunting what? It matters, kinda. So does the kind of target shooting. A .357 can be loaded to .38 Special velocities for target shooting. The Colt, not so much.
"...a .357 magnum S&W revolver..." Doesn't compare to any rifle.
"...I would choose 44/40..." Thought that too, but the .44-40 is reputed to be somewhat difficult to reload due to the thin cases.
"...Taylor Knockout value..." All those kinds of things are mostly fairy tales.

I would choose 44/40..." Thought that too, but the .44-40 is reputed to be somewhat difficult to reload due to the thin cases.

Once you get it figured out the 44-40 is a breeze to reload. The main thing is using the correct dies and bullets. I would go with 44-40, in fact I did.

Hunting what? It matters, kinda. So does the kind of target shooting. A .357 can be loaded to .38 Special velocities for target shooting. The Colt, not so much.
How so on the Colt .45 load? They range from piffle cowboy loads to Buffalo Bore thumpers on par with .44 mag.

toggle link

I'd prepared a long and enthusiastic post about the .357 carbine, but the info on the toggle link and full house ammo rained on my parade.

Makes perfect sense and the low pressure rounds seem the only way to go in a '73 action. Well done CoSteve and others!

Back