which model Savage ?

The savage accuracy mainly comes from good quality barrels, floating bolt head design, a user friendly trigger, and free floated barrels. All models have these features.

Certain models go even further and offer a bedded stock and/or thicker barrel.

If you don't mind the weight a model 12 fits the bill
For a sporter weight barrel the fcns is a great option
If you just want to save money get an 11.

Cabelas has a version of the 12 for just over $400 and woodbury outfitter has the fcns for $560

How many rounds can you shoot in a range session on the sporter barrel without over heating or hurting the barrel ?

None, each shot wears the barrel out a minute amount (about 1/8000)

All the smart aleck stuff aside, its not the shooting its the heat.

Ergo, you can shoot all day long if you let the barrel cool down.

I give my Bulls a rest when they get fairly warm to the touch (they do heat up as well). 20 degree day not so much.

The heavy barrel gets you shot to shot rigidity, less will swings and fewer variables.

Supposedly the thin barrel will shoot consistently if you let them cool down.

I don't think so, I have not been able to get the Savage pencils to do so and they are supposed to be good. I am going to play with them more and see.

Still depending on the caliber and how good the shooting package is, the barrel will start to wear out at 5k for 308/30-06, much sooner on some of the true barrel burners.

Thank you for all the replies.
I believe I have made a choice in the Savage 25 walking varminter T It comes with a wood laminated thumb hole stock medium contour barrel in 223 and feels really good.

Thank you for all the replies.
I believe I have made a choice in the Savage 25 walking varminter T It comes with a wood laminated thumb hole stock medium contour barrel in 223 and feels really good.
I've seen a few of these shooting bug holes at the range. Nice choice. Try out some ADI Outback 69gr SMK ammo. It's relatively cheap and it shoots great in my Savage. I bought 10 boxes to get a supply of good brass.

I have one Boyd's thumb-hole stock and it's great for prone/bench and it works off-hand too.

bedlamite said:
emcon5- Yes, all Axis use basically the same action, the only changes to the receiver are different ejection port sizes. You could get him a compact now and a Boyds stock in a few years. All small shank Savage barrels will fit, and they use interchangeable bolt lugs and spacers to accommodate different calibers. Don't worry too much about the trigger, the Accutrigger is good out of the box, and a trigger job is easy on the standard with a spring and screw swap.

Doing a little more research, and calling Savage, I think I have what I want to do figured out. Unfortunately the Axis II compact only comes in .243, (which is odd, because the Axis compact comes in .223, .243, and 7mm-08).

The stock is the same between the standard and compact Axis II models, and the barrel is only 2" longer (22" vs 20" for the compact) so it is not much heavier, and comes in a wider variety of calibers. Savage also sells the compact stock for ~$80.

The current plan is to buy a Axis II in 6.5 Creedmoor, and order a compact stock.

Doing a little more research, and calling Savage, I think I have what I want to do figured out. Unfortunately the Axis II compact only comes in .243, (which is odd, because the Axis compact comes in .223, .243, and 7mm-08).

The stock is the same between the standard and compact Axis II models, and the barrel is only 2" longer (22" vs 20" for the compact) so it is not much heavier, and comes in a wider variety of calibers. Savage also sells the compact stock for ~$80.

The current plan is to buy a Axis II in 6.5 Creedmoor, and order a compact stock.
I wonder if the 6.5CM is the new .243. As in, I wonder if it's the new "tenth birthday" gun.

It's funny how the .260Rem fell flat just like the .244/6mm Rem. The 7mm-08 is a little more successful and is marketed as a "youth-friendly" round with factory reduced loads available but people are really sucked up in the Creedmoor.

I think Hornady did a phenomenal job promoting that cartridge and supporting it with good, cheap ammo.

I wonder if the 6.5CM is the new .243. As in, I wonder if it's the new "tenth birthday" gun.

It's funny how the .260Rem fell flat just like the .244/6mm Rem. The 7mm-08 is a little more successful and is marketed as a "youth-friendly" round with factory reduced loads available but people are really sucked up in the Creedmoor.

I was considering the 7mm-08, and if Savage offered the Axis II compact in that, I would probably go that route.

I like .243 as a varmint round, and it is a OK deer round, but I would like something with a little more oomph. The reason I favor the 6.5 CM over the 7mm is simply logistics, I already load for other .264" rounds, and I don't have any 7mms.

I was considering the 7mm-08, and if Savage offered the Axis II compact in that, I would probably go that route.

I like .243 as a varmint round, and it is a OK deer round, but I would like something with a little more oomph. The reason I favor the 6.5 CM over the 7mm is simply logistics, I already load for other .264" rounds, and I don't have any 7mms.
Right now it looks like there will be far more ammo options for 6.5 Creedmoor than for 7mm-08 Rem in the future. The wide variety of ammo is one of the perks of being a target round first, then adopted as a hunting cartridge.

(Technically the 7mm-08 was a metallic silhouette cartridge before it was commercialized but it was a small niche).

Back