which model Savage ?

rebs

I would like to buy a Savage bolt action in 223 cal. What model is recommended for right out of the box accuracy ? I mean I do not want to buy after market stock or trigger etc. This would be used mainly for range shooting and chucks.

I would like to buy a Savage bolt action in 223 cal. What model is recommended for right out of the box accuracy ? I mean I do not want to buy after market stock or trigger etc. This would be used mainly for range shooting and chucks.
I didn't really, fully buy into the hype of Savage rifles (I still don't to some degree).

But...

I bought a Model 11 Trophy Predator Hunter because of it's specs even though I didn't want or need a scope. It's a danged tack-driver.

I was just shooting it tonight in between letting my 7 mag cool down doing a load work up. I was blowing through some ADI factory ammo with 69gr Sierra Match Kings and it's really incredible. I was shooting the staples off of my targets at 100 yards.

I've got a load worked up with 68gr Hornady BTHPs that shoots legit 1/2" groups over and over. And I shoot my steel gong at 600-700 yards with boring consistency.

The trigger is set at 2lbs and it's awesome. It's got a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x on it just for fun but with a lighter scope it would be a great Coyote rifle (I tend to take my 7.5lb .243, though).

I may have just got lucky but I see other guys with various Savage .223 rifles shooting great groups at the range, often.

For your purpose one of the heavy, bag-riders that Savage offers might be better than what I chose but mine is stunningly accurate "out-of-the-box".

Don't over look a nice used one. I have a (bought new) in the early 80's 110E in 223. It has always been fantastic with every thing from Federal 40gr Blitz to Winchester 64gr PP. A great little gun, it has a 3x9 Vari-x II on it.

Thanks for the replies.

Fiveinadime, did you change anything on your savage or add after market stock etc. ?

Thanks for the replies.

Fiveinadime, did you change anything on your savage or add after market stock etc. ?
Nope, box-stock. I never even removed the Indian-Head sticker on the stock.

The stock is basically an AXIS-quality plastic stock dipped in mossy-oak brush but it has pillars and they free-floated the barrel by about 1/16th of an inch. Works well, it seems. I shoot it off of a bipod all of the time no issues.

My model has the Varmint AccuTrigger adjustable down to 1.5lbs, supposedly.

Also, forgot to mention I traded the Nikon scope for 500 rounds of brass-case plinking ammo (mainly to have a nice stash of brass). So, you can get some offset on the cost by trading or selling if you buy a scoped model.

Last edited:
"...recommended for right out of the box accuracy..." All of 'em. Most of their model numbers are only different in the stock material and/or the finish on the stock.
The Axis line is their entry level brand. Inexpensive, but the triggers are not adjustable.
I'd be looking at the 12 model series or the 25's. Like Guv says, 'used' is not a dirty word when it comes to hunting rifles. You really have to work at damaging one.
1.5 lbs. is too light for a hunting rifle anyway.

1.5 lbs. is too light for a hunting rifle anyway.

Yeah... I like a good 3lbs on a game rifle trigger...

But, 1.5lbs is just about perfect for target shooting and woodchucks which is what the OP said the rifle was for.

Not to mention, there are those of use who have previously competed in shooting disciplines with extremely light match triggers that are very, very used to having the rifle go off at a hairs breath.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

T. O'Heir said:
The Axis line is their entry level brand. Inexpensive, but the triggers are not adjustable.

Axis triggers are very easy to work on. Unscrew the spring, screw in a 10-24 screw, and replace the spring with one from McMaster-Carr. If you want, you can shim the side of the trigger to remove side play too. My Axis trigger is 3lb with a clean break and no overtravel. I used a spring from the parts room at work, 3/16x5/8x.016 wire, and turned the screw down on the lathe to remove the threads and fit inside the spring, but it can be done without that using a larger diameter spring.

http://www.huntinggearguy.com/tips/diy-savage-axis-trigger-job/

http://www.mcmaster.com/#compression-springs/=14mhttq
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-washer-shims/=14mhmry

I'll post my usual recommendation .

Buy a Savage Model 10T or 12FV from Cabalas (Cabala only Models, no Savage Equivalent) , wait for a sale, can be had for 400 to 500 roughly.

Both come with heavy varmint type barrels.

The 10T is more tactical, the 12FV more a varmint fixed location hunter.

I'll post my usual recommendation .

Buy a Savage Model 10T or 12FV from Cabalas (Cabala only Models, no Savage Equivalent) , wait for a sale, can be had for 400 to 500 roughly.

Both come with heavy varmint type barrels.

The 10T is more tactical, the 12FV more a varmint fixed location hunter.
I don't think the 10T comes in .223. As far as I know, it's only .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor.

The 12FV is a heck of a deal but it is a weighty, unbalanced beast with that 26" heavy-varmint barrel. But if you never have to carry it around then it's perfect for targets and chucks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I own a bunch of Savage rifles.None of them wear the factory stocks anymore.
Unless you buy a Model 12 series with a factory laminate stock or a Model 10 FCP with either the H&S or McMillan stock,you will want to upgrade stocks.

Savage factory composite stocks are terrible stocks,their Walnut stocks aren't too bad.

The Cabela's 12FV. If you want a better stock (camo Accu-Stock) and detachable box mag, go for the Model 10 Predator Max 1.

I bought a trophy hunter in 260Rem and changed the stock to a Hogue, although I am not 100% sure that improved the performance of the rifle, b/c it was already shooting tight groups. I just liked the heavier feel of the Hogue.

I don't think the 10T comes in .223. As far as I know, it's only .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor.

I stand corrected, FiveInADime had it right.

The 12FV is weighty, I changed the stock. Still getting it to shoot, it was an EABCO that is pillar supported, needs to be bedded (sort of lash up bedding right now)

Probably good for what you want, weight is a help on the bench and a bipod is likely used for chucks (not a chuck shooter though)

I did get a used 111 bith a Boyd's stock, that is not pillared per sei, but it is nicely set in the stock with even contact.

I don't know if they come aftermarket that good.

I like the laminates and Thumbholes.

I second the recommendation for the Savage 12FV at Cabella's. Got one in 308 back in January of this year. topped it with a 8-32 Cabella's scope that was on sale. Shot 1/2 MOA @ 200 yd. with Federal Match ammo (168 SMK bullets). Yes, it's muzzle heavy. The stock is hollow, so I added lead shot since I always shoot from bench or bipod. Also added an aftermarket adjustable comb.
So far it seems to love IMR4895 and 155 gn. SMK-Plama bullets seated @ .015 off the lands. Load averages 3040FPS on my Corny and gives cloverleaf 3 shot groups. Getting ready to see what I can do with it as to measured group size at 100 yds. Then on to longer ranges.

So is the only difference between the AXIS and AXIS II the acutrigger?

Is there any difference between the AXIS and AXIS Compact models aside from the stock and barrel length?

I am thinking of getting my 10 year old an AXIS compact for Christmas, and wondering if as he grows, we can replace the stock to a standard length and it will grow with him.

emcon5- Yes, all Axis use basically the same action, the only changes to the receiver are different ejection port sizes. You could get him a compact now and a Boyds stock in a few years. All small shank Savage barrels will fit, and they use interchangeable bolt lugs and spacers to accommodate different calibers. Don't worry too much about the trigger, the Accutrigger is good out of the box, and a trigger job is easy on the standard with a spring and screw swap.

Back