Which MOA for red dot

Dot sizes for bowling pins @ 25 feet.

Here is what I come up with for dots on bowling pins at 25 feet.

8 MOA = .67"
6 MOA = .5"
3 MOA = .25"
2 MOA = .17"

Scaled with a CAD program.

Added 12 and 16 MOA, C-More has these sizes for speed shooting sports.

16 MOA = 1.34"
12 MOA = 1"

Last edited:
I'd also recommend the smaller one. I really underestimated how much of a difference the size of the red dot actually makes on your field of view. A bigger dot can definitely limit your ability to hit small targets, no matter how good of an aim you have. However, all of that heavy influenced by the distance you are going to shoot.

Fast sports or target sports

It's not uncommon for bowling pin shooters to shoot 5 pins between 2 and 3 seconds (5 in row). I have seen some do it under 2 seconds, I have done it a couple times with iron sights. Accuracy is not a concern for this sport, only the lowest time. That's what the big dots are for. I have several handguns set up for this sport (iron sight and dot) and some for long range target. I don't want to compromise with just 1 gun for all sports. If you can get fast with a small dot then that's great.

With the group of guys I shoot with, you have to consistently shoot under 3 seconds or you don't have a chance of winning. I actually haven't beaten my iron sight single line time of 1.96 seconds with a dot yet but my total scores over the 10 week league have been getting better with a dot. We shoot 5 pins 4 times = 1 score, we turn in 10 scores over 10 weeks and keep the best 6 scores for total. Rules are no practicing before shooting a score, if you practice after shooting for score, then you can't shoot any more scores until the next week.

Last edited:
Back