Which is more fun, competition or range time?

I like both, my range time is with some of the guys I shoot IDPA with. We shoot some IDPA targets, use the timer etc. The old f__ts shoot on Wed. Morning. May throw in some skeet or trap or shoot at a bullseye too. Lot of fun.

They were equal for me. As I age, simple range time has taken over. Reflexes
slow down and edge is duller! I will never quit shooting.
Dan
;)

I enjoy range time. It's an opportunity for my wife and I, seniors both, to get away from the day-to-day commitments associated with our lifestyle. Our public ranges are very restrictive and limit the sort of drills that are possible, but we still enjoy the outing. I've just started in IDPA and I see that as a 1/month activity which provides a venue that has a bit of HD-relevance and a chance to socialize; I'm not aspiring to excellence at my age, but a occasional all-day commitment for a retired guy is no big deal.

Range time - and if you hit the target well every time - the target is either too big, or too close -- or both.

I usually only punch paper when working on a setup or verifying accuracy. Cutting loose on a stage in a match or just rattling the Christmas forest is far more fun.

Arthritis

Since my joints degenerated run&gun has been too slow and the up&down is more down than up. Gravity isn't my friend.
So, shooting has come to plinking and not competing.

it ain't pretty

I am crippled.
I am hard of sight and hearing.
I've had multiple surgeries on both upper extremeties.
I need both knees and my left hip replaced.
I still compete, but I lose.

A33102

I don't find shooting at a range fun at all, just standing there and dumping ammo into a piece of paper with a bunch of rules. shooting outdoors and bringing lots of fun targets(waterbottles,watermelons,tannerite,paintcan,etc.) is hard to beat for fun. especially if you have about a thousand yards to play with. the only range time I see is working up loads in the dead of sumer when its too hot to go out and hike a mile. competition, I dunno, but I hope to know soon

Range for me. I shoot clay pigeons, water bottles, fruit, tannerite, and old tvs/computer monitors on occasion. Cant beat that.

Back