Which is generally easier to find nationwide: .40Super or 10mm?

Select the most available 'heavy/hunting' round in your neighborhood.

• .40Super

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • 10 mm

Votes: 28 96.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When it comes to 44 magnum vs. 10mm - about all I can tell you is that my Stock 10mm gets shot regularly and my Desert Eagle 44 magnum hardly ever.

Skans, thanks for your input.

I love the look of the Desert Eagle. What type of 10mm do you have? Glock? Sig? Revolver? Etc?

Tanfoglio Stock. Sometimes referred to as the Stock I since Tanfoglio has since come out with a Stock II and Stock III model. I used to use my Desert Eagle for bowling pins (informal competitions). But, it was very expensive to shoot, was heavy and bulky and had a lot less capacity than my 10mm. The DE was accurate and effective, however. But, my Stock is more accurate, easier to shoot, easier to handle and feels like an ordinary gun in my hand. I find that my Stock 10mm is almost as effective on bowling pins (need to knock them off the table in the games we would play) as the DE. Basically, one good shot from 10mm or 44 magnum would clear it off the table.

Looking at the poll, (and I did not vote) we have 29-0 so far. It would seem plenty can find 10mm, no one can find .40 Super.

Are we done yet?
:D

I used to use my Desert Eagle for bowling pins (informal competitions). But, it was very expensive to shoot, was heavy and bulky and had a lot less capacity than my 10mm.

The DE is heavy and bulky, absolutely. But, once you master that, nothing else common gives you the same power & controllability. Try the DE in .357Mag for pin shooting. Very light recoil, impressive power. And 9+1 capacity.

That piece is mine. I was facing south that day and my S&W 1006 just really, really chucks the brass.
All 10s seem to. Like into next week.:D

Both of mine do. Finding brass is a real chore, and I love it when people are handing it to me saying, "You're the only 10 shooter."

The 10mm is by a wide margin. The 40 Super will give about the same performance as a full-on 10mm load. I have no first hand experience with the 40 Super but I do understand feeding problems are common. That would also be a concern for me if I was looking at them.

If we travel here...

http://www.midwayusa.com/handgun-ammunition/br?cid=691

and look at all 62 calibers of handgun ammo that Midway offers for sale we can see that the 40 Super has 2 items listed. For the 10mm it lists 41. (38 Super has 20 listed and the 40 S&W 109 for comparison).

The 10mm is a niche cartridge. It is popular and well respected, but sales keep it well below the "popular" or standard service calibers. The 40 Super...till I saw this thread I did not know it existed. Apparently most others do not know it exists either.

Go with the 10mm.

Or choose another round alltogether.

You may want to shoot a good deal of this before trusting your life to it. Availability is one factor but shooting well at speed from a gun you can handle well should take higher priority perhaps.

tipoc

Did You Not See 10MM in his post?

[Looking at the poll, (and I did not vote) we have 29-0 so far. It would seem plenty can find 10mm, no one can find .40 Super.]

AMP44, he asked about 3 calibers not 2.

Back