Which is generally easier to find nationwide: .40Super or 10mm?

Select the most available 'heavy/hunting' round in your neighborhood.

• .40Super

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • 10 mm

Votes: 28 96.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jmstr

I am thinking of a conversion barrel/top end for my Glock G30sf for a woods gun.

Realistically, humans are the most likely problem in the woods around here. However, black bear, cougar or even a javelina or boar are not impossible.

The two options I see the most reference to are .40Super and 10mm. from a simple glance I understand .40Super seems to have a 100-200 ft/lb advantage in muzzle energy.

I also understand a .44mag can be even more powerful. I have ammo rated at around 1300-1400 ft/lb [or is it lb/ft] of muzzle energy for that round, and have a couple revolvers.

I understand all of that and will carry a SRH or SBH if I intend to go hunting, or am backpacking in Griz country.

NO CALIBER WAR MERDE, PLEASE!

All I am asking is which ammo is the most available in animal stopping [read hard cast/heavy loads- not light/fast hollowpoints] configurations?

All I know about them is what is available in my 3 main LGS. I have no idea if Idaho, Oregon, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Arizona or Washington are the same.

I mention those states as they are the ones I am most likely to hike/camp in.

So, which is the easiest to buy off a shelf in your neck 'o the woods?

Thanks.

Of the three cartridges you referenced, the easiest for me to find in local stores or gun shops would be .44 Magnum followed by 10mm.

Regards,

Rob

Agree. .44Mag will easier to find than 10mm and both will be easier than the .40 cartridge in question.

That said, for a self-defense gun, I'd be inclined to leave the gun alone and use it in the factory chambering rather than using a caliber conversion.

I don't think I have ever seen .40 Super. With that said, I like to survey ammo potential with Ammoseek.com.

.40 Super comes up with ZERO matches currently.

10 mm comes up with 594 matches

.44 mag comes up with 1133 matches

Ammoseek doesn't survey all potential sales sources, but it covers a LOT of sellers across the country.

.40 Super you won't find easily. Only loaded by Double Tap and Underwood Ammo. Brass is made by Starline and Double Tap only. Isn't horribly expensive though. 500 Starline cases runs $143.50. Die sets start at $96.99 at Midway. No barrels for a Glock 30 anyway. Glock 21's only.
No handgun cartridge will give you 100% animal, be that 4 legged or two, stopping anything. Neither will a rifle or shotgun, but the letter will be best. Mind you, if any of the beasties decides you've annoyed them, the chances of being able to recognise a threat aim and fire, assuming you have the firearm in your hand, are slim.

I can only imagine that you meant to type .45 Super rather than .40 Super? I have heard that someone did craft the .40 Super round at some point... but this is not a round that anyone manufacturers a handgun specifically for and I'm not even aware of upgrade parts for it.

In any case, 10mm is going to be the most abundant of any of the oddballs but even THAT doesn't make it the best answer for sure simply because (far) too much of the 10mm that you may come across for sale at retail is neutered ammo that is sometimes not even an upgrade over .40 S&W.

Ordering your ammo online levels the playing field, it opens up extremely good options and it will probably save you money also.

Consider the .460 Rowland for some real juevos!

Well, if he meant .40 Super then the question becomes rather foolish.

Which is easier to find, nationwide, a virtually unheard of cartridge loaded by a boutique ammo maker or two, or a widely known round, loaded by all major ammo makers for the last couple decades +??

Duh!

I travel a lot and I like to hit local gun stores as I do. Just as it's fun to read all the posts here, I like seeing all the different stuff that different stores have in stock. I'll often pick up a box of ammo and if I see something really special in the used case... :D

Here is what I've noticed about ammo selection: Pretty much everywhere has .44 magnum and there is more diversity in selection. Most places have some 10mm in stock, though it might only be one offering. I don't think I've ever seen a box of .40 Super on the shelf. In fact, this thread is the first I've ever heard of it.

After reading up on it, .40 Super seems like a cool idea. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of support for it.

10 mm doesn't have a great selection, but I had to look up .40 Super, and when I did a lot of the sentences used the past tense. No contest in availability.

Thanks All.

If I add a caliber, it will be a 10mm.

I am happy with my .44mag, when it comes to power. I just like the size/weight of a Glock G29 over my 7.5" Super Redhawk. It packs lighter for some reason.:D

I appreciate all the comments. thank you again.

Back