which would you chose

• Savage 10/110-11/111

Votes: 24 77.4%
  • Browning AB3

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wicat3

I have been doing lots of research on a new hunting rifle. Im looking for something reliable and something that will last for many years,almost as if this is the last rifle I would ever buy for hunting. Im hunting deer and plan to be shooting 300 yards. I am looking at the savage 10/110-11/111 package deals and now a browning ab3

savage example

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2083_2112/products_id/78194/Savage+110+TH+XP+270+NIKON

browning example

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2083_2112/products_id/719009088/Browning+AB3+Composite+Stalker+Pkg+270+Win+5rds+w+Scope

I really no nothing if the browning , they have been around forever though so they must have a following . The savage rifle is a good rifle for the money . If you can put a little more in I would look at the savage 114 series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really better or worse (and I like Savage but a lot has to do with doing my own barrel work)

Look at Cabella. They carry a lot of Savages, often have discounts, have some of their in store models (12FV and 10T).

I like wood stocks, so the Savage wins right there. Also heavier so you get better recoil and 270 has a 30-06 like smack (others disagree but that's my perceptions)

Acu trigger is good, hunter types can be improved to Varmint type to 1.5 lls (if you want, 4 or 5 if you don't) with a spring change.

If you want a good wood stock that holds up in the weather look into one of the Laminates ((I like the thumbhole style) . Those are made by Boyds and its a high quality solid fitting stock that unless you shoot F class you won't need to pilar or bed.

Keep in mind, the low cost Savages now come with low cost plastic stocks.

Ok for hunting, but they are somewhat ugly and not one you want to hang on the wall.

None of the Savages are different cost wise, 110/114/116 the same hardware. The differences are stainless steel and the quality of the stock. Barrels can be different, but the only ones I know for sure are the Varmint type and they come with a Heavy Barrel.

Lots of scope packages and they are ok hunting, not the greates for target. 3-9 Nikons I think right now.

Sporting aka Pencil barrel may take re-loading to get to shoot good.

Not a Browning owner or ever had one so no idea where they stand. its got a 12x scope.

Last edited:
I've owned and used an A-Bolt and a few Savage rifles, there are only a couple of differences that meant anything to me. The Browning short bolt throw is nice, takes some getting used to but I found I liked it over longer ones. The Savage comes with a 3 position safety, my Browning did not. I much prefer 3 position over 2. Other than that all were more than accurate enough for hunting, I did not consider any to be heavy rifles, and I would not hesitate to carry any in the field.

Well if it is to be the last rifle you buy to last the rest of your life, then do as I said before: Get a model 70 Winchester.

Ive been researching rifles for a month now and everytime I think I have it figured out something new comes along. I went from thinking I wanted a Ruger american preditor in 308 but after more research was turned onto the Savage 11/111. I found that the savage has been in the lead so far, but when I ask or look around some more people present more options. Ive been told to get a tikka, Howa, Ruger M77, ect, ect. Ive bounced around in calibers and still a bit on the fence but have narrowed it down to the 270 and 308.

I have a savage axis and have owned a few of them but I know there budget guns and they work but not the best rifles out there. I dont like the feel of my bolt on my axis but I know its tight and needs to be broken in.

Pathfinder If I could afford one I would but the only ones in my range are the newer ones and i've been told to stick with a pre 64 model. I know this wont be my last rifle but I want one that will last a long time and not buy something that in a year wont be worth 100 bucks.

Whether you want a pre-'64 or it's reinvention known as the Classic Sporter, or the Classic Featherweight; where there is a will, there is a way.
Here ya go: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/608271075
Here's another: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/610983338
and another: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/610131521
and another: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/610276019
and another: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/607740056
There's plenty of them out there at reasonable prices. Shopping and haggling is half the fun. Forget the 308; go with 270, or maybe 30-'06.

I agree where there is a will there is a way, but out of the 5 only 2 are in my price range and say the reserve isn't meet. I would love to own a classic rifle like that but its not in the budget. I also dont need to run around with a thousand dollar rifle. Its like asking to buy a chevy or a ford and being told to get the limbargini. Everyone wants to buy some exotic car but not everyone can afford one and doesn't answer or add anything to the question asked.

Pre-64's are very much over rated. The guns made prior to WW-2 have some collector interest and were well made. After the war quality gradually declined to the point where most of them made in the late 50's up to 1963 were sub-par. When Winchester changed the design from Controlled Round Feed (CRF) in 1964 and went to pushfeed (PF) actions anything pre-64 instantly became valuable. It wasn't because the guns were better, but guys would pay a premium to get a CRF. There were no other options. Most of them were used as the platform for a custom build so the lack of quality didn't matter.

But since the early 90's Ruger and Winchester have offered CRF rifles that are far better than anything Winchester made pre-64. Add Kimber to that list too. Really since about 1992 most pre-64 Winchesters aren't worth any more than any other 50 year old rifle. There are some that are in rare configurations or calibers that have some collector interest, but most are just another old rifle.

But there are a lot of guys out there who try to sell anything pre-64 at a premium. And enough buyers who don't really Know better that pay crazy prices expecting they will appreciate in value. A fair price for a shooter grade model 70 in 270 or 30-06 made from 1950-1963 is $550-$650 if you want one to look at.

If you want one to shoot, then one of the Classic 70's made from 1992-2006 or one of the current production rifles is a far better rifle.

Deals are out there if you look. These are my 3 Winchesters, all purchased used. I paid $400 each for the 300WSM on the left and 30-06 in the middle, both SS Classics. The 30-06 was made in 1999, the 300 WSM in 2006. The rifle on the right is a new production (2008) 308 Extreme Weather rifle, I paid $600 for it. Of course I've spent money on aftermarket stocks for all of them.

Ive been researching rifles for a month now and everytime I think I have it figured out something new comes along. I went from thinking I wanted a Ruger american preditor in 308 but after more research was turned onto the Savage 11/111. I found that the savage has been in the lead so far, but when I ask or look around some more people present more options. Ive been told to get a tikka, Howa, Ruger M77, ect, ect. Ive bounced around in calibers and still a bit on the fence but have narrowed it down to the 270 and 308.

I have a savage axis and have owned a few of them but I know there budget guns and they work but not the best rifles out there. I dont like the feel of my bolt on my axis but I know its tight and needs to be broken in.

I know its a hared slog, but you have to sort through what people are saying and bounce it off how you feel. Very hard when you have not done a lot. Throwing in a Winchester 70 suggestion is not a help.

I find the Savage as smooth as anything I have worked with that modern.

I don't know about the Axis. I will handle one next time I am Cabella's and see how I think it compares to the Savage.

So it helps if you say: I really want a wooden stock. I hate composites. Or I don't care. Takes a lot off the table.

I want an all weather stock. Ok, that puts it into Synthetic or a Laminate. Helps as well.

Tight Brush hunting of wide open, are of country you are shooting in helps as it tells you wide open or more closed.

Prairie dogs? shooting or you can't see 10 feet? . How far you pack, do you hunt from a spot or move around a lot. Then the barrel contours (heavy or light) comes in.

Cabella, Dicks , Bass Pro etc will let you handle their guns, cycle the bolts, try em out.

Good places to do research and they will almost for sure have lower costs so a good place to buy as well.

If you order on line then you have to find an FFL and pay a fee (not sure on shipping these days as to who pays for it)

Give yourself time to sort through it. At some point it will come together and you will figure out what works for you.

None of us is you, the best recommendations are backed up by it works for that person, you can use that to compare to yourself and see if it fits.

Unless I see something off you seem to be missing, I try to respond to your questions, not what I think you should have or do.

If your only hunting deer, and plan on only shooting to 300 yards max, then almost any rifle will work.

As for the caliber, if you reload, why burn the extra powder for the 270, or the extra recoil of the 308? Why not a 7mm-08?

Jmr40 what aftermarket stock did you use?

Rc20 I live in upstate ny, hunt in a stand. Some open areas some brush. I have a Dicks and gander mountain to try to handle some rifles. Just trying to narrow down a few so I didn't just try the whole store lol. I see Dicks has a savage 11vt which I hear good things about.

I have a 270 already and like the cartridge. If I wanted to change to 308 it is because of availability. 7mm-08 is very comparable to the 308 and from my research most say it's very similar that it doesn't matter which one you go with. 308'is easier to get a hold of.

i dont have any experience with brownings. ive owned four savage 110s, 111s two in 06 and one in 7mm mag and one in 243 win. of the 2 3006s one shot consistant half inch 5 shot groups @ 200 the other three quarter inch groupdat same distance. i used both hunting whitetails in upstate ny for nearly 20 years. shoulder surgery made me stop for several years. sold both (regret losing them).
decided to try again got 7 mag (mistake). hurt too much to shoot. my last ead in 243 it filled the bill well. low recoil kept me shooting.

wife sold it by mistake instead of the axis 2 xp that i bought for her.

243 was mid 80s vintage had been well used, had to reload to get sub moa groups.

one post talked about package nikon on savages. ive used those and the buckmaster 2 4-12 x40, i like the buckmaster better the rectile subtoens less of the target and i can see .223 holes in the paper at 200. very clear optic only real draw back is lower field of view at close range

I would later look into and replace the scope but as a start it seems like the savage package is a good starter.

Never have understood why people want to shoot game at 1\4 to 1\2 mile away. If you kill it you still have to walk the same distance to retrieve it as getting to say within 50-100 yards or less of it to shoot it. In my mind it is not sporting, it is just like long range target shooting. To me the sport is getting in close enough not having to use an XXXX power scope to see something that looks like ant size to the naked eye. I guess I have more in common with the bow hunters and "real" muzzle loading hunters than the scoped crowd.

Yes I am sure most shots will be in the 50-100 yard range but have the capability to reach beyond that is a good idea. You wouldn't attempt a shot at 100 yards if you knew your rifle was only good out to 75 yards would you? I would rather have a rifle that can do more than I need it too. It's the same reason you don't hunt large game with a 22lr round. I want to use one shot not multiple shots

Just my opinion: Compared to Remington or HOWA, Savage 10/110 rifles are ugly, BUT if set up properly, they are accurate. I have lots of rifles and could carry any one of a dozen suitable for deer hunting but I carry a Savage 110 with an aftermarket trigger and barrel(installed and headspaced by ME). Can't do that with the others.

Back