Which is better Moss 500 or Rem 870 or Ithaca riot gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All three are good weapons.Both the 870 and the Ithaca are based on designs by John Browning, the Da Vinci of firearms.

Most Police and Correctional agencies use the 870 for its durability, longevity and reliability. After market accessories are more than abundant for the 870.

Most 500 owners seem quite satisfied with their choice. The ergonomics of the piece are superior with the ambi safety.

The Ithaca is rarely seen for sale used. Most folks that have them keep them.

My choice is the 870. However,none of these weapons has a clear and overwhelming advantage over another...

My 590 fails to fire every now and then. The primers show no evidence of a light strike, and they work when I run them thru the gun again. It's currently back at Mossberg for warranty work.

One of the features I like about the Mossberg (in addition to the tang safety) is that the carrier and shell stops are positively operated - no springs to depend on, like on some makes.

I can get the Ithaca riot gun for 285 in excellent condition. It has no disconnector and will fire on ever pump if you hold the trigger. Is this a good price?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by G30 Man:
I can get the Ithaca riot gun for 285 in excellent condition. It has no disconnector and will fire on ever pump if you hold the trigger. Is this a good price?[/quote]

You can buy a new 870 for that money, so I'd have to say that it's not that great a price. As far as being able to fire as you pump it, I don't see that as a significant tactical advantage, perhaps others have a different view.

[This message has been edited by johnwill (edited April 13, 2000).]

Dave and others:

Concerning the ambi safety on the Mossberg, I bought one for that reason. Eventually, I traded it for several reasons. I got an 870 PM, with which I'm very pleased. Here's the point, though -- I bought one of Hans Vang's big-head safeties. Wow, it's great! You can easily depress the safety with the side of your index finger (with finger out of, or even in, the guard). This levels this issue between the two, IMO.

JNewell

Which ever you are most familar and comfortable with. My Rem 870 Marine Mag with Scatter gun tech ghost rings, side saddle, and sling is for Three Gun Matches. The Mossy 590A1, also with side saddle and factory ghost ring sites is for HD. Reason: the wife says the Moss 590A1 is lighter in weight. I can not tell difference but go with her wishes.

G30, if I HAD to rank them in order of preference, it would be....

Ithaca
Mossberg.

But there's no vast and empty void in between.I like the 870's durability and I've shot them for over 40 years. The Ithaca has a great smooth action, light weight and reliability like it's cousin, the 870. The bottom ejection gives a little better protection from water in foul weather also.

The Mossberg's safety is the best placed one.

BTW, the lack of a disconnect is no great advantage, nor disadvantage either.

The Ithaca's one shortcoming here is the lack of aftermarket stuff,and the design precludes installing an extended mag. Again, no great fault. If 5 rounds of 12 ga ammo do not resolve a crisis, 2 or 3 more won't either.

I see Remington is now making the 870 express in a left-hand version, so the Moosberg's tang safety is now less of an advantage. This opens up the choices a little for those of us who shoot from the "right" side.

Remington, Remington, Remington. Anyone who tells you the Mossberg is better is either
a(n): 1.Redneck 2. Uninformed/misinformed 3. Never shot all three to compare.

G30,ghost rings are good, but not essential. I like them, but have done some of my best work with a single bead sight.

As for knockoffs built in the largest dictatorship left on Earth by slave labor, no thanks...

Im lefty so I looked at Ithicas, Browning BPS and 870 Lefty. The Ithicas ranged, used,from $175.00 to $450.00. I saw at least 8 of them, all barrel lengths and conditions. None had choke tubes. Moreover, Ive read Ithica has gone in and out of business and I didnt feel confident enough to know which "vintage" of Ithica to look for. The BPS's were scarce. I finally found a 1994 with Ducks on the receiver, NIB (see my post regarding the missing choke wrench). Finally, the 870 lefty raise an issue of if I got a Deer slug barrel would the rifling have to be reversed, (or so the dealer thought). Regardless, I plan to keep this gun long term and pass it on to my right handed son, so a lefty 870 wasnt a choice. Maybe do a web search for ithica, there website is real decent and offers a $25.00 coupon on a new one.

I have an ithaca 87 (the riot gun) and I would not part with it for the world. I like the bottom eject, personal preference. I also do not like the tang/ambi safty of the mossberg, although I own two, also a personal preference. I would have to disagree and say that $285 is a good price for the ithaca in excellent condition. I don't know if they even make the 87 anymore but they are extreemly finely crafted in my opinion. It is more expensive then a new 870 but it already has the extended magazine tube which puts it in the same price range as a new one with a quality magazine tube and much cheeper than a police model 870. One thing people consider a drawback is that it only has one opperating rod (from the action to the pump) whereas the mossberg and the remington have two. On the ithica though it is much more robust and strong. I live near ithica though so I may be partial. I do have to remingtons also though. The only accesory I can't find for my ithica is a sidesaddle. I have ghostring sights, surefire front grip and a choate stock. I guess that leaves us were we started, It is a personal choice.

TJA, now you've got me going. Why would the rifling need to be reversed for a lefty shotgun? The slug wouldn't know how you mounted the gun, or where the ejection port would be. I'm a long ways from being a 'smith ... this doesn't make sense to me.

Wouldn't the rifling on a lefty firearm simply be the same as standard?

Curious. Thanks.

Regards from AZ

BaldEagle,
That was a ridiculous statement. Learn the mechanics of debate.
"Anyone who prefers X is an X" is the poorest argument for X ever made and is on the 5th grade level.
Explain the physical and mechanical features of your prefered tool and why you veiw them as superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back