Which HD Shotgun

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokepole14

I'm looking to get a home defense shotgun to keep bedside. The three models I'm looking at are maverick 88, pardner pump, or savage 320. I'm aware that the pardner and savage are made in China an the maverick assembled in us with Mexico parts. Does anybody who owns one of the three have any suggestions. So far the only negative I've heard is the pardner has a part internally welded in so if it breaks basically your out of luck and a gunsmith will have to fix it. Just looking for any help from you guys.

I have 2 Mav. 88s that I have for HD and trap. Lots of use and never a problem with either. Under $200 each at W-Mart.

The maverick comes from the 60 year old Mossberg 500 design and it will get the job done.

Ever think of buying used since a bedside gun probably will never get used depending on where you are. I've seen used mossberg 500's averaging $150.

I never considered a used gun. I didn't really think about it, since it's more than likely never gonna get used I was looking in the budget range.

I never considered a used gun. I didn't really think about it, since it's more than likely never gonna get used I was looking in the budget range.

I would consider a used Mossberg, Remington, or Ithaca.

Don't get me wrong, buying new is great. But if you are getting something cheap that doesn't have the resources behind it, if something does go wrong with it, you are less likely going to find someone local to get it running again. A common design mean gunsmith experience and a source of parts.

I would consider a used Mossberg, Remington, or Ithaca.

Don't get me wrong, buying new is great. But if you are getting something cheap that doesn't have the resources behind it, if something does go wrong with it, you are less likely going to find someone local to get it running again. A common design mean gunsmith experience and a source of parts.

I agree with this, sans the Ithaca for HD. Practically anyone can replace parts - if it's ever needed - on a Mossberg or Remington, but an old Ithaca may need an honest to goodness gunsmith. Also a single round reload is much easier with a side load.

88 is solid. I believe (sold mine a bit ago) it has a plastic trigger assembly and if it breaks your done. No different than the 500's in that respect though and they are good quality.

I have handled the other two but the 88 is the only one I have owned/shot and I would have no problem putting money on one again if I had a need.

Ended up getting an 870 from a family member so did not need the 88 so one had to go.

Look around some gun shops for a used Remington wingmaster. I've seen some in pawn shops for around $250-$300. The older 870's were much better in parts and workmanship than the cast parts filled express models of today.

Also a single round reload is much easier with a side load.

It is pretty much identical, just invert the gun...

I lump Ithacas with the other two, being they are all work horses. You find an old department gun, you'll likely get a nice gun at a great price.

I will also say that working on an Ithaca is far from hard.

My HD shotgun is a maverick 88. I just bought it a few months ago but I have had zero problems with it.

I love that it has dual extractors and the safety location. IMO it takes those two features (what I consider the best parts of the 500 and 870) and combines them for a lower price.

I wouldn't worry too much about the polymer trigger assembly, mossy 500 is polymer and there are tons of them, just buy an extra to have on hand if it bothers you. I prefer 18.5" barrels and longer magazine tubes for HD so I got myself a 500 mostly because of the tang safety, and it was on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back