Which gun to buy

kmglock

Inactive
I've got several glocks (26,19,17), a Beretta 92FS inox, ruger 22/45, and a ruger LCP.

I want to buy a new fun range gun. The following are on my wishlist.

CZ-75B stainless
Colt 1911 commander stainless
Walther PPQ
Sig Sauer P229 stainless
Browning Hi Power

Which one of these would you get? I'm looking for something fun, shootable and different from what I have.

If you don't have reloading equipment, get a press and really have some fun. Make all those other toys come to life.

Any chance you might change your mind go with a full size 1911?

You'd be able to see what the U.S. Army used for *lots* of years.

I find the full size 1911 easier to shoot accurately than the Commander.

Both the 1911 and Browning High Power have an almost cult like following (which I firmly believe they have earned) so I'd vote for a full size 1911 or even a Commander size 1911 but very, very close a Browning High Power.

As a handgun shooter you kind of owe it to yourself to see what all the fuss is about and savor some of John Moses Brownings genius (although I realize a lot of the High Power was done by Dieudonné Saive).

I'd recommend the CZ, BHP, or 1911.

As a range toy, you can afford to go large, steel, but also comfortable.

The only problem is you may feel the two 9mms are too close to the Beretta.

If you feel comfortable stocking another caliber, I would look into a 1911A1 Government Model. It doesn't have to be a Colt- Even something like a used Rock Island. I resisted the 1911 bug for a while, but I have to admit, it is well on its way to replacing my Ruger Security Six as my nightstand gun. Try it out.

Pond said:
I'd recommend the CZ, BHP, or 1911.

Me and James have similar tastes.

DaleA said:
Both the 1911 and Browning High Power have an almost cult like following (which I firmly believe they have earned)

I think the CZ 75 fits into that "cult following." CZ guys LOVE their(our) CZs, and will tell you about them as much as you will let them (us). :D

CZ guys LOVE their(our) CZs

I must say this is true. I've owned it for 3 days and I haven't shot it yet.

I have been dry-firing my snap-cap into oblivion and I've been cleaning it incessantly. In that time, and based solely on those two experiences, I am certain I made an absolutely brilliant decision!!

The trigger, albeit still new, is very smooth and getting better. Provided I pull slowly (still getting used to it), my DA pull barely makes the front sight twitch now!! I struggled to do that with my Glock the entire time I owned it!!

It is also veeery pointable: Look at a target, close eyes, raise gun to target, open eyes and hey-presto, my sights are sitting almost bang on the target. With my Glock I tended to get that "skyward barrel" phenomenon.

Back to the topic: I still stand by my initial suggestion, but given there is a big Beretta already in play, perhaps the 1911 would be an interesting change.
I suppose the downside there would be that it would make a new calibre to shop for whereas using the CZ or BHP, means that you can plunder an existing ammo stock which is cheaper to begin with...

Pond said:
Back to the topic: I still stand by my initial suggestion, but given there is a big Beretta already in play, perhaps the 1911 would be an interesting change.
I suppose the downside there would be that it would make a new calibre to shop for whereas using the CZ or BHP, means that you can plunder an existing ammo stock which is cheaper to begin with...

The logical conclusion based on James's and my opinion would be to get a 9mm 1911.

DON'T

If you're gonna get a 1911, get the 45. Call it nostalgia, call it being true to the platform, but your first 1911 should be a 45. I was encouraged to get a 1911, and not a "1911 style pistol." I feel I made the right decision.

+1 on 1911.
=============
If no plans on CC with a 1911, then I would opt for a Government + adjustable sights.
If Commander, I would opt for fixed sight.
=============
I would opt for 9mm -- less recoil and less ammo cost than .45 + your other pistols are 9s.
......... but .45 is fun, too -- bigger holes on paper. For some reason, a group of .45 holes seems more impressive than a group of 9mm holes.

Go with a 1911.....Colt quality on 1911's was down for a long time / and now with their new machinery they seem to be doing a lot better in the last few years...and they're priced really well at under $1,000 based on all of them I've seen locally.

Commander, full size....whatever you feel suits you the best / but I'd go with a 5" barrel, full sized ( and if its well made ....it can be either in 9mm or .45 acp )....I have both 9mm and .45 acp models from a number of mfg's and they're nice guns ( 9mm is way less expensive to shoot and practice with )....

1911 for fun. Gotta have a classic. Also, it helps you practice failure to feed and jam drills.

47b20s0.gif
That's what I've been trying to tell everyone!!!

What about that .22Mag semi auto by one particular firm. Was it Kahr or Kel-tec or something like that?

It was featured on Hickok 45's channel. (not that that narrows it down much. He has reviewed just about everything!!)

It looked a bit ugly to me, but suspect it would be hoot to shoot!! It is also very different to what many might be handling at the range! Can't comment on the cost, nor availability of .22Mag ammo, though.

1911 for sure. It has to be experienced. It should be part of any collection, if not the cornerstone. My 1911 SA Champion completes me. If I wanted to deal with another inch of bbl., then the Range Officer would be my pick. You just can't go wrong, IMHO.

I would get the Sig 229. I've never shot a Hipow so cant weigh in there though they seem very well liked and 1911 capacity doesn't suit me.

Back