Which gun should I keep?

Shoot'em, compare the accuracy and if they both shoot well

Keep both

You may need a second rifle as a back-up or a loner!

Wow TONS of responses I appreciate everyone dropping by to give their opinion.

@L_Killkenny, I haven't made the trade yet, but it isn't gun for gun. Another one of my hobbies is snake breeding - yeah weird I know. I am getting out of the hobby and trading a guy a few snakes for a Glock 19, the Mossberg ATR and a playstation 3.

At this point, I think it is too early for me to decide. Though I do like Kreyzhorse's point of view about scratches and knicks, so if I prefer to shoot the Rem 700 I will definitely keep that. As for the ATR, I may keep it as a back up or loaner, or if a great trade comes by, I will trade it off.

As for the Winchester and Savage comments, thanksfor your input. I am not opposed to owning either, but like the Remington I have. I do plan on buy a Savage in the future because of all the hype about accuracy and because of how cheap they are vs everything else.

Well I picked up the gun today. It looks nice enough. However after playing around with it for just a few minutes, its easy to tell that the fit and finish is not in the same league as the Remington. Hopefully in the next week or two I will have time to take it to the range and see how it shoots.

Don't stress...

over scratches and knicks.

I used to do that, as I am a blue steel/nice wood kind of person myself.

THEN, I discovered Bear Tooth camo covers. One piece slips over the butt stock, one piece slips over the forend, and one piece slips over the barrel. They are made of a thick rubbery fabric (neoprene) which is also water proof.
With these 3-piece sets on your rifle, the only wood not protected is from the pistol grip forward to the forward end of the magazine.

You can also get a 4th piece, to cover your scope. Google "Bear Tooth camo", for pictures and other info.

The Remington is the much better gun. The problem with the Mossberg is finding someone to sell it to. They are almost worthless on the used market. None of our local pawnshops will give you a dime for a Mossberg or Remington 770.

You are probably stuck with the Mossberg, and by all accounts they shoot decently. I just wouldn't trust one for long term reliability. The Remington on the other hand will hold it's value and may well sell for more than you paid for it. If I wanted to upgrade to something better the Remington is the one to sell, then use that money to buy a Winchester ;). Keep the Mossberg as a backup or cheap truck gun.

No one has pointed out that the Remington 700 is more or less a descendant of the original 1917 rifle.

700s have a reputation of being one of the stronger bolt actions.

No one has pointed out that the Remington 700 is more or less a descendant of the original 1917 rifle.

700s have a reputation of being one of the stronger bolt actions.

The reason no one pointed this out is it simply isn't true. The 1917 action is closer to a Mauser action than a M700. The M700 is simply a refined M721/722 action both of which are round receivers. The 1917 was refined to a Rem M30 commercial rifle after Remington was done producing the rifle for the Government contract that they had.

The problems with the rifle action of the M30 was it's size, weight, and cost. The action is oversized and can fit the longer H&H cartridges with ease, plus as actions go it weighs a ton. They were expensive to produce so Remington designed an easier/cheaper to manufacture rifle action. The M721/722 was made out of round bar stock and was much simpler to machine than the M30 action. It had as well a detached recoil lug vs. the integral one of the M30.

The reason no one pointed this out is it simply isn't true.

I'm well aware of the pedigree of the Remington bolt action rifles. I think Julian Hatcher might disagree with you.

No reason a man can't own 2 rifles, or 200 if he wants. Heck I think I have about 15/16 '06's alone. It only get tough when you got to pick one and leave the others all lonely. I put a battery in rotation, that way there is little or no jealousy in the safe.

The reason no one pointed this out is it simply isn't true.

I'm well aware of the pedigree of the Remington bolt action rifles. I think Julian Hatcher might disagree with you.

I'm sure Remington learned a lot making the 1917 and M30 that lead to the the production process that brought the M721/722 which evolved into the M700 of today. That is about the only thing the 1917 contributed to the M700. The M700 is a totally different animal when compared to the 1917.

Keep them both, find something else to make another trade with, then trade again for a third gun! One can never, ever, have enough firearms!

Sell the remington and buy a Winchester? Surely you were joking, please tell me you weren't really serious---
Marlins seem to be a decent reliable rifle, but in no way compare to a Remington 700---and I feel the jury's still out on the new Winchesters, let's give them a few years to see if they can salvage what is left of what was once one of Americas finest gunmakers---just my two cents---

Nothing wrong with 2 of the same caliber, easier to stockpile ammo! Also, as pointed out previously, one can be a loaner to friends, in case you introduce someone to hunting or shooting who doesn't yet have one!

I will not tell u money wise what to do. I will say if you dont want to scratch the remi keep it in the safe and hunt with the moss and take the remi to the range. I see in 20 or 30 years those remi's being worth a bit more. My gr;gr;gr uncle said u will never second guess a gun u dont sell. Lucky for me i have quite a few guns that he paid $20_$30 for at the time..new..that r worth a lot more then that now.

Back