Which gun should I keep?

jtyson

I have a Remington 700 BDL .270 and I am going to be receiving a Mossberg ATR in .270 in trade for some other items I have for sale in the next few days. I know the Rem is a better gun, but not sure if it is worth keeping both, or if I should sell one or the other off.

Both would be used for hunting here in New Mexico. Nothing super long range, and I don't go punching paper very often. I think I shot 6 or 8 rounds through the 700 this last season. I know the Remington will last forever at that rate, I don't know how long the other will last.

I stress about screwing up the finish on the 700 every time I take it out of the case. I don't think I would care with the Mossberg.

So what do I do? Sell/trade the 700? Sell/trade the Mossberg? Keep both?

he cant shoot two at once and they're in the same calibre.

Do an accuracy comparison (the Rem is going to win) and keep the more accurate of the two.

I go by the rule "two is one and one is none" but I also will sell a firearm I don't use, especially if it's redundant.

I agree with the 2nd poster. Pick the one the you like the best and sell the other.

Keep the one that's more accurate or do what I'd do and keep them both. Unless you need the money (believe me, I understand that), it's free. Keep it. You can always sell it later but you can't get it back for free.

I'd stick with the Remmy, but I've never shot a Mossberg, so I'm a bit biased. Shotgun to shotgun, I prefer a Remington. Rifle to rifle...couldn't tell you. I love my 700 in .270.

So much depends on what you can get outta the guns. No way would I keep 2 guns in the same cartridge unless they were radically different platforms but I fear that you just ain't gonna get much in resale for the Mossberg. There are certain rifles that are easy to sell and Remingtons are one of them, Mossbergs on the other hand are not. So while many things are yet to be determined, given equal accuracy, equal feel, etc etc if you're wantin money for something else the Remington may be the one to get rid of. But my guess is once you get the Mossberg it's not gonna have equal feel and quality so you're in a little pickle. Pick one, get rid of the other, kinda coin flip from my chair. No offense intended but you probably shouldn't made the trade in the first place.

LK

I personally would keep them both. The Mossberg can be a loaner for friends that don't have their own, or a back up just in case of unforseen circumstances taking the Remington out of service. As has already been said, a rifle is worth far more as a rifle than it is as money. I will add that the Mossberg especially will be worth less as money, since it is unlikely to fetch much of a premium.

Keep them both , and wait for another trading oppertunity to come along . I once traded one of those 100 ATRs ( also in .270 ) for a model 70 Win. in .243 . That may be the best trade I ever made , obviously the guy with the .243 wasn't a gun guy ! I almost felt guilty , the key word being almost .

For now, keep them both. No point in being in a hurry to do anything.

I'd figure out which one fits better; a better fit makes it easier to get a hit when out in the field. I'd compare for group size, although anything inside 1.5 MOA will work on deer or elk and generally on coyotes to the common distances of a couple of hundred yards.

All else being equal, you say you don't worry about minor dings and scratches on the Savage, so let it be your working gun.

I actually have both the Remington 700 in .270 and a Mossberg ATR in .270. The remington is the better rifle but since I dont have any reason to get rid of the mossberg I currently have both rifles. The mossberg isnt a bad rifle its just not as good overall as the remington.

Keep the Remington. It's a hunting rifle so don't stress the finish. A few scratches will make it that much more valuable to you as life starts to wind down for you. Trust me, I know when, and with who I got scratches on my hunting guns. I wouldn't trade those memories for a pristine stock.

I like BigMikey76 take

Keep both for now. If one breaks or malfunctions you have a back up rifle or a loaner for your hunting partner.

Over time if you don't like one of the rifles or shoot it well. Then you know wich one to trade/sell.

I'd be inclined to keep both - at least until I found something else I wanted more than the Mossberg. Owning multiple firearms for the same cartridge is common. Heck, I've got 4 Rem. 870 12 ga. shotguns (and one 20 ga.), two .223 bolt rifles, six .22 cal firearms, five .45ACP pistols, two .44 Mag revolvers and once owned two identical Rem. 700 BDL Left Hand .270 Win. rifles. I regret selling the one that was slightly less accurate. (Of course, I regret virtually every gun sale I've made.)

Back