Which Garand?

Wow, that is a beautiful rifle.

To those considering buying a Garand.

Please do NOT listen to the "experts" who will, on various gun forums, try to make you feel badly when you get a service grade. They are people who, apparently, have so little of a life that they will try to run down anyone who buys a service grade, or otherwise.

Enjoy your Garand.

They are sturdy weapons and there is no point in treating them like they are museum pieces.

If you want to buy a Garand worthy of display in a museum, then God bless you. There are already plenty of those around.

Buy one. Take care of it. Shoot it. Enjoy it.

Amsdorf:
Those who knock Service Grades are probably sorry that they paid too much for a gun which is either "too purdy to take to the range", or shoots no better than a Service Grade.

The bore in my S. Grade is so bright that it appears to be chrome-lined.
Let the 'maladjusted problem children' (or the level-headed adults) pay the extra money for higher grades...that equates to less demand for S. Grades.:)

I bought my Father a Springfield Service Grade Garand for his birthday 2 years ago. It was in terrific condition and needless to say he was overwhelmed with it since he carried one in the Marines in 1959. Buy it, you won't regret it. By the way, I have seen CMP Service grade Garands sell privately for more than listed on their website.

I see guys at the range a lot with service grades, rack grades and field grades, and have never seen anybody disapointed at all about anything. All those guys, myself included, "love garands" the only problems seen, can usually be taken care of quickly, and cheap to fix. Parts are everywhere and easy even for the novice to put in on most cases.
Plus if you live near enough to visit one of the CMP stores, you would really get to see a lot. There's a lot packed into the store, and worth a visit for sure.

JimK said:
An exception must be made for the "British" M1's that were sent to England before U.S. involvement in the war and, because of ammo differences, were never issued and spent the war in British depots. Those came back in the 1950's and, unless modified since, have all the original parts and original cartouche and ordnance markings.

I'm working a trade deal on one of those Brit M1 Garands. The Suncorite is perfect with exceptional wood.

I've owned four service grade garands, two SA and two H&R. I liked the H&R's the best. I like garands alot they are just so expensive to feed.

Last edited:
Back