Which folding knife?

shamster

I'm going to buy a new folder soon. But I'm having a hard time deciding which on to get. First, I narrowed it down to a Spyderco, or one of the Cold Steel Voyagers (tanto blade). If I go with the Sypderco, it would either be a Delica or Endura.
If I go with the Cold Steel, should I go for the medium blade (3") or large blade (4"). I want something that is versatile, since I'll be using it for day to day things (cutting boxes and other things), as well as keeping it clipped in my pocket for self defense.
Can't decide between the Sypderco and Cold Steel. I like the look of the Voyager tanto, and hear that knife is strong as hell. What is easier to open quickly...the button tab on the Voyager's blade, or the Spyderco thumb hole?
Also, should I get the 50/50 (half serrated), or the plain edge?

Shamster

I own a Delica with the "plain" blade that I keep in a hip pouch with my Colt Mustang Pocketlite. The Delica came "shaving sharp" right out of the box. However, If you prefer the Cold Steel, you really can't go wrong there either. As far as the serrated blades go, I've always had a very difficult time getting them sharp again. However, I don't own a Spyderco "Sharpmaker". (Yet!) "Millions" (:)) of people have told me that with a Sharpmaker, serrations are easy to sharpen. I plan on buying one. I think it's called the "Sharpmaker 204" and is supposed to do a really good job on plain and serrated blades. I noticed that Bayou LaFourche has a good price on the Sharpmaker's right now. When everyone you ask says that the Sharpmaker is great, you just have to believe it. I haven't heard one single bad thing about Sharpmakers.

Kentucky Rifle

4" Cold Steel Voyager with 50/50 blade = versatility. Once you work on the action a bit and use some lube on it, either will open just as quickly. The tanto point is just plain stronger than a clip point and can take more use/abuse. My .02.

I also own a delica. It's the 50/50 blade, 3 inch. Like Kentucky said, it is shaving sharp. As far as the blade size, and if you are going to carry check your local laws.

I've broken several Spyderco Endura's and also not had much luck with Cold Steel's knives. If you want a excellent folder then check out the Buck/Strider folder. This folder is the best of the best with a really good price. Or you can go with a Strider Custom, more expensive than the Buck?Strider folder but well worth every penny.

Buck Knife forum http://www.bladeforums.com/cgi/foru...nives+Forum&number=27&DaysPrune=20&LastLogin=

Striders Forum http://www.bladeforums.com/cgi/foru...nives+Forum&number=63&DaysPrune=20&LastLogin=

Striders Web Page http://www.striderknives.com/

I would suggest that you spend the extra money and get a Benchmade knife. They have better materials and craftmanship. But, if you're not willing to then I would suggest going with the Spyderco. I just don't like Cold Steel.

A new Spyderco will have better steel than Cold Steel. My suggestion is to try before you buy. For getting out of a pocket and opened, my old style (same steel as Cold Steel) Delica was fast. My new style is not as fast.

Blade to Blade

I've owned several Spyderco's in my life, ended up replacing them after about a year's worth of daily use. Mostly blade damage, points breaking, blade bending. They are now relegated to in-the-trunk toolbox use only.

In the process of looking for an inexpensive (under $100) but worthy knife, I decided on the medium Cold Steel Voyager 50/50 Tanto point. Thick bladed, kinda unrefined, and clublike; it's not pretty.

But I chose weapons for their ability, and ability is what the Voyager is about. It sharpens and cuts fine, serations are tough, plastic dosn't break...it's a tank. Been wearing it every day for two years now with no plans to replace any time soon. If I do, it'll be another Cold Steel.

You want a higher priced, prettier Benchmade, go ahead, they make some great knives.

Make mine Cold Steel any day...

-LeadPumper

I used to carry a Spyderco Endura.

Then I got a CRKT M16Z with the tanto blade.

Carried one one day, and one the other day - both pretty good knives.

Then I picked up one of the small CRKT Crawford-Kasper knives. I carry it every day. Faster than the Spyder knife too...

Try to get a look at a Spyderco Claypso Jr. with the micarta handle. I've had several Spydies, and this is by far the best everyday working blade I've owned. It's a work of art and feels great in the hand. I have the fully serrated version. It's a joy to use, and I use it for everything. As for bent blades and such, a knife is the most expensive bad prybar you'll ever use. Treat it like a knife and it'll keep going.

For something a little bigger, I usually grab my Benchmade McHenry & Williams half-serrated 710S. A little larger and scarier.

I also have several of the CRKT knives. The steels they use are not up to the hardness of the Spyderco's or BM's, but the knives are well-made, cheap and sharpen easily.

Do yourself a favor and get a Spyderco sharpmaker also, it really does make short work of serrated blades and is very versatile.

- Gabe

PS: I find the thumbhole on the spyderco's the easiest to use of all the opening mechanisms these things can have.

For years I carried the Spy Delica with the plain blade. Recently I wanted to go with a little longer blade so I purchased the CRKT Point Guard with a 3.5in blade. It is not quite as easy for quick opening for me as the Spy and I must carry it in my rear pocket where before I carried the Delica in my front pocket.

Last edited:
I too have a CKRT, the M16-13Z with half-serrated blade and drop point. Paid $40 for it in the waning hours of a gun show when the guy was willing to dicker. It's a gem as an all-around utility knife. The "Carson Flipper" makes one handed opening easy.

I will echo support for the CRKT Crawford/Kasper. It's as cheap as an Endura but stronger and better made than an AFCK. Similarly priced and constructed is the Timberline Worden Tactical.

The really cool thing about the CRKT Crawford-Kasper is that the flickit actually WORKS. Just stick yer thumbnail behind it (not on it), and flick, and the blade's open... I've had folks think that it was an automatic. No wrist action, nothin'.

Regarding blade makers, it's difficult to go wrong by narrowing your search to knives offered by Spyderco and Benchmade.

Two of my favorite carry knives are older Benchmade Ascent and Spyderco Endura, both in ATS-34 steel.

A favorite hard-use work knife is my Outdoor Edge Magna. This knife is perhaps the best value among all knife offerings. It features 4" blade in AUS8 steel and it's tank-tough (and large). This is the sort of tough knife you'd use to whittle tent pegs and then use the knife to drive in the pegs. At $40 shipped (via Bayou Lafourche), it's a lot of knife for the money.

My current favorite is my Spyderco Military. 4" blade, 440V steel, large thumb-hole and flat-ground blade.

I have CRKT folders which are fine in all regards except the softer AUS6 steel. Daily use requires daily edge tough-ups to maintain the edge.

I'm not a fan of serrated-edge knives. I like sharp plain edge blades and I prefer flat-ground blades that are optimum for slicers.

The Sharpmaker 204 is excellent. To produce excellent edges, it requires only that you discipline yourself to hold the blade vertical while honing.

Think about things like what you will use the blade for, what balde shape, what steel, what length (perhaps local knife laws apply) and make your choice.

Knives are like guns, in that you WILL buy more.

www.bladeforums.com

TFL's sister site...everything you wanted to know about knives and a boatload of crap you don't (;) :D)...research there pior to buying. And buy online...save a BUNDLE.

My knife opinions:

Benchmade: good stuff, their QC is kinda shakey (at least it was last few years). Fit and finish may vary a little, but good solid knives.

Spyderco: just as good as Benchmade, their QC is way better, and they cost a lot less.

Cold Steel: Sigh. Decent stuff, priced OK...but you have to live with the fact tat you're giving money to a blowhard like Lynn Thompson. Read his catalogue sometime...the man has no shame. His products aren't half as good as he claims, but they're still pretty decent, and not too expensive.

REKAT (Round Eye Knife And Tool): holy mother of God, do they make some freakishly tough knives. Ugly little spuds, but tough. I have a Carnivour (Talonite), and it is INDESTRUCTABLE.

As to speed of opening, I find the spyderco-style hole to be great, UNLESS you are wearing really thick gloves...then studs are better.

Serrated vs plain vs half-half...I dislike 50-50 for two reasons:
1. The serrated part is not long enough to generate a good sawing stroke
2. The plain part is at the wrong part of the blade (the tip) for good control for careful slices and 'whittling'

Basically, I see no need for serrated blades unless you REALLY will be cutting a lot of fibrous material (ie, rope). They're also a real b!tch to sharpen. I have one full-serrated blade, the rest are full plain.

Anyway,

Like firearms, talking 'better' and 'best' with knife-people will start holy wars- basically once you reach a certain level the cost/quality curve starts to get really ugly (big increases in price to get small gains in quality), and personal preference and ergonomics start to count more and more.

IM(NS)HO Spyderco exists at a really good place on the cost/quality curve- reasonably priced (buy online! BUY ONLINE!) and really really good craftsmanship.

Mike

PS You weren't really shopping for knives at a sporting goods or (worse) gun store, were you? Those prices are laughable. BUY ONLINE!

Back