Which first 9mm pistol for a beginner with 8 months experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CZ and never look back...

CZ is probably the best shooting gun out of the box... ergonomics is second to none ... great trigger.... and if you have a budget of 1500..
If your going to try competition shooting .. the CZ Shadow 2

If you looking for a range gun with the 1500 budget I would get the CZ 75B for the range and a Rami 9mm for carry and you will still have money left over

I would look at the CZ Shadow series, Sig P210, P226, P320, or a 1911.
Personally, I think 1911s generally have the best triggers. They make very nice range guns.

I have a Walther P99. Very nice gun, easy to shoot and accurate.
Your first gun should be a quality one, not a cheap knock off. Buy a gun you can count on, will practice with and be proud to own.

I'd recommend a Beretta 92, because it checks all the boxes at about a third of the purported budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
... I really dislike the Glocks: the trigger feels weird to me and also it's a very light gun, which I don't like because the recoil kicks a lot/is hard.

On the other hand, I like the CZ Shadow 1 very much: the trigger is very smooth/light and it's much heavier so the recoil feels much better...

I understand that. Glocks have an amazing reputation for reliability and an extensive market for customization in the United States. However, I hate the way they feel in my hands so I don't use them. :)

That said, CZ also has an excellent reputation. They feel good in my hands and I naturally shoot them well. In terms of safety, I prefer DA/SA with a decocker and CZ has you covered there. If you really like the CZ and you like them better than the comparable Sig guns, then go with your instinct. Get a CZ.

I'm not overly in love with how the G19 feels in the hand. On the other hand, it's a very simple design and anyone can learn how to field strip and clean it. Enough so that there's not reason to go with a revolver (probably earning me lots of hate).

In the end though, it's a tool. What are you using it for?

If it is your first pistol you can't go wrong with a CZ. When I took my daughter to the range for the first time I brought several pistols with me. From a Ruger MKII .22 to a 1911 in 45 ACP, also included was a Sig P226 and P320. But of the 7 pistols I brought she liked the CZ-75 the best. It fit her hands well and the recoil was light. She now calls it her gun.

out on a limb, try a HK P2000 LEM(German); or walther Q match; two different platforms, but both very nice.

Last edited:
It's a little bit late to give an update, but better late than never!

I ended up getting a CZ Shadow 2 about 8-9 months ago now! It's an amazing handgun and I love it! It's a shame I can't shoot it more often (here in France we cannot shoot handguns on our own property, it's only allowed at the range).

Last edited by a moderator:
I admit I sold my SP-01 Tactical and have vocally said the first time I pulled the DA and SA trigger I knew half of the internet hadn't touched this gun. The trigger just isn't that amazing. I don't even know if it's great.

Very HK like. Long heavy DA and long resetting SA.

Steyr L9-A1

While it isn't particularly "heavy", it does have a very low bore which greatly reduces felt recoil.
The grip contours also position the hand/wrist in a way that naturally helps mitigate recoil.
Trigger is excellent... dare I say outstanding when compared to "the rest" of the big names.
They incredibly reliable and use some wonderful engineering that has been copied (stolen) by a number of the other big manufacturers.
Exceptionally accurate for a service pistol, I personally shoot it better and faster than any other one, owing much to the unusual but surprisingly well thought out sights.

I don't know about where you live, but here is the U.S. the Steyr is relatively unknown, which is shame because it is an outstanding pistol that outclasses all of the common types people seem to usually fall into.

If you can, give one a try :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back